Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Tweeter recommendations to pair with Hybrid Clarus Mids

hari-bhari is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tweeter recommendations to pair with Hybrid Clarus Mids

Recently went active on my Hybrid Clarus set, sourced from a CarPC with EQ, time alignment, phase, and crossover adjustments, powered with a DSC4125 (125 RMSx4) soon to be swapped for a JL or Cadence 5 channel.

No matter what I do, the Clarus tweeters are too harsh for my taste with the type of music (electro,house) and volumes (LOUD) that I listen. They are extremely detailed but particularly sibilant for my taste.

Looking to swap into something a little more laid back, something that will be smooth and warm at higher volumes. Read a lot about Seas Neos, but there are 100 different models, so not sure which to look at. Recs are appreciated, budget is $100

Below20hzonly is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Re: Tweeter recommendations to pair with Hybrid Clarus Mids

your goin to have to get a bigger budget if you want something that will sound good with those clarus mids, jus sayin

Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah! $100 is not going to buy much.

Maybe some JBL PT26 tweeters, but if you raise your budget just a bit get the DLS Scandinavia 1, just kidding those are $300.00 maybe these, the DLS Performance T20.

OmegaBunny is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Go witht he SEAS Neo's. These are the ones that I have paired with my L6's and they keep up great!

Madisound Speaker Store

2007 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser with Box built by Pro-Rabbit
    H/U Kenwood DNX6960
    Sub: 1-18" Zv3 with NS coils and cone Sub Amp: Mmats 2100.2
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio L6 mids, SEAS Neo Tweets, SAX 100.4, RF 3sixty.2
    Bought From: Rio, davidtemple, Bassin Buick, Pro-Rabbit, Kangaroux, KyleBechtold Traded With: WhiteDragon551 Sold To: jdmeklove, Kpozr2, 97accordalpine

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

i have a set of cdt es 010 tweets for 120 shipped ,they'll keep up very nicely

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Tweeter harshness is usually due to installation. Where/how are they mounted/aimed? Pics?

If you are running active, it could be in your crossover settings. Reverse polarity on them.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

i might consider trading ,i need some for my door sails

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    Tweeter harshness is usually due to installation. Where/how are they mounted/aimed? Pics?

If you are running active, it could be in your crossover settings. Reverse polarity on them.
    This

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

i've played with the Clarus tweeter. it can sound just fine in the right environment.

hell, that's why i have my ring radiators in spheres. in standard angle mount i didn't like them. in spheres they are everything you want a tweeter to be.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    This
    they are mounted in the door, but aimed off axis about 20-30 degrees. obviously this is less than ideal but ive tried various positions temporarily (higher in the sails, lower on the door) but never got quite happy with them. also tried reverse polarity on one of them and it ended up sounding worse. crossover is at 5800hz with a 2nd order butterworth (to mimic the included crossover). before the hybrids i ran dls ms6a components in the same stock location and they never felt harsh. this is one of those taste/personal preference things. the claruses sound amazing with rock, classical, instrumental, and even rap. but with what i'm listening to which is mostly electro, house, and dubstep which tends to be very rapid and very bright, they are a bit blaring for me.

when we talk about tweets 'keeping up' with the mids, are we talking volume or something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

you should look at the cdt es 010 tweets ,if you like what you see ,my offer of trading still stands

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

you can certainly turn the level down on them - the don't need near as much power. you could be overdriving them.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    you can certainly turn the level down on them - the don't need near as much power. you could be overdriving them.
    ive actually turned the gain down to -6 on the tweets on my carpc. i think they are harsh for me at certain frequencies, and i've tried to EQ them out by dropping 10-12k by about 3db further, but still overall not pleasing for my ears.

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hari-bhari View Post
    they are mounted in the door, but aimed off axis about 20-30 degrees. obviously this is less than ideal but ive tried various positions temporarily (higher in the sails, lower on the door) but never got quite happy with them. also tried reverse polarity on one of them and it ended up sounding worse. crossover is at 5800hz with a 2nd order butterworth (to mimic the included crossover). before the hybrids i ran dls ms6a components in the same stock location and they never felt harsh. this is one of those taste/personal preference things. the claruses sound amazing with rock, classical, instrumental, and even rap. but with what i'm listening to which is mostly electro, house, and dubstep which tends to be very rapid and very bright, they are a bit blaring for me.

when we talk about tweets 'keeping up' with the mids, are we talking volume or something else?
    If you've tried aiming and placement, Have u tried playing with the EQ?

I was just thinking that if you're running active, you could turn the gain down on the tweets. Maybe they're getting too much power? maybe some better level matching is in order?

EDIT: Just now saw you and KHA's posts.... sorry pretty much repeated what was said/asked

At any rate, if you've exhausted all install options and have heard other sets sound better in the install, maybe you just don't care for the tweets, and in your case, for budget tweets, I'd go with LPG since those Hybrid mids can play high enough to meet them.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    If you've tried aiming and placement, Have u tried playing with the EQ?

I was just thinking that if you're running active, you could turn the gain down on the tweets. Maybe they're getting too much power? maybe some better level matching is in order?

EDIT: Just now saw you and KHA's posts.... sorry pretty much repeated what was said/asked

At any rate, if you've exhausted all install options and have heard other sets sound better in the install, maybe you just don't care for the tweets, and in your case, for budget tweets, I'd go with LPG since those Hybrid mids can play high enough to meet them.
    any benefit to letting my mids play higher up? i was thinking if the new tweets play lower, i can go ahead and change my crossover to the 3-4k range and raise up my soundstage some.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast