Closed Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Reload Thread: Speaker tests low on resistance

  1. #1
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Speaker tests low on resistance

    Ok so I've had a few problems lately with my set up. The amp shut down and I sent it for repairs. At there shop they can't find anything wrong with it, it turns on and passes all of their tests. The repair place thought that something might be loose inside the amp, but they are not seeing any indication of that.

    I have tested the resistance on all the speakers one of the mid range woofers is testing lower then the other I have on the right side. (2.7 ohms vs 3.4 ohms)
    Is it probably blown or close to blowing?

    What I did before I sent it the amp off...
    I tested it with a speaker that I was certain was working (unplugging the rest of the speakers) and hooked my iPhone to the RCA's.
    Amp shut down as before...

    What do you guys think... bad power/ground connection? (The sub amp I have is working just fine and its split on 0 gauge wire)
    I know the amp still has power the power guard lights come after it shuts down.

    Any ideas??







  2. #2
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker tests low on resistance

    bump




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    any wet spot i can find
    Posts
    3,282
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker tests low on resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    Ok so I've had a few problems lately with my set up. The amp shut down and I sent it for repairs. At there shop they can't find anything wrong with it, it turns on and passes all of their tests. The repair place thought that something might be loose inside the amp, but they are not seeing any indication of that.

    I have tested the resistance on all the speakers one of the mid range woofers is testing lower then the other I have on the right side. (2.7 ohms vs 3.4 ohms)
    Is it probably blown or close to blowing?

    What I did before I sent it the amp off...
    I tested it with a speaker that I was certain was working (unplugging the rest of the speakers) and hooked my iPhone to the RCA's.
    Amp shut down as before...

    What do you guys think... bad power/ground connection? (The sub amp I have is working just fine and its split on 0 gauge wire)
    I know the amp still has power the power guard lights come after it shuts down.

    Any ideas??
    have you checked the voltage with a DMM at the power inputs? Is the + wire to the amp fused?




    "Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

  4. Thanks West thanked for this post
  5. #4
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker tests low on resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    have you checked the voltage with a DMM at the power inputs? Is the + wire to the amp fused?
    Yeah, I'll check that next, Thanks!
    Last edited by West; 08-03-2012 at 03:52 PM.




  6. #5
    Alrojoca's Avatar
    Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA West Coast
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker tests low on resistance

    Not sure if this could be a major issue, you said connected Iphone to RCA's, was a cable with the dock port with RCA's used? or did you use the 1/8 headset plug to amp's RCA's? That voltage is different and if a cable or connector is faulty, that could be the difference in resistance between the channels. Just a thought! :-)




  7. Thanks West thanked for this post
  8. #6
    West's Avatar
    West is offline Banned

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oliver Springs, TN
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker tests low on resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Alrojoca View Post
    Not sure if this could be a major issue, you said connected Iphone to RCA's, was a cable with the dock port with RCA's used? or did you use the 1/8 headset plug to amp's RCA's? That voltage is different and if a cable or connector is faulty, that could be the difference in resistance between the channels. Just a thought! :-)
    That could be...
    I used an 1/8 headset/headphone plug to RCA adapter plug (looks like a Y)




  9. #7
    Alrojoca's Avatar
    Alrojoca is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    USA West Coast
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker tests low on resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    That could be...
    I used an 1/8 headset/headphone plug to RCA adapter plug (looks like a Y)
    You need this iPod iPhone Dock Connector Male to 3.5mm Plug Cable MM | eBay

    and For only $1.44 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 6inch Premium 3.5mm Stereo Female to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black | Premium 3.5mm to RCA Audio Cables

    The sound from the dock is digital or good analog converters (not as loud but cleaner) the sound from the ear plug is analog sound with way too much voltage. I had cheap 1/8 cables that fail and one channel degrades, mono price sells great quality thick cheap cables that will perform like cables costing 20 times more and last a while.




  10. #8
    BnGRacing's Avatar
    BnGRacing is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Speaker tests low on resistance

    The amp's protection circuitry is probably kicking in.

    It's probably either a short in one of the lines (bare wire touching chassis ground or a messed up VC) or the amp isn't getting enough current (bad ground). Make sure your amp is grounded on metal that isn't tack welded or painted over. I've seen people ground their amp to seat belts before and they wondered why the amp didn't work despite the light turning on...

    If your amp is grounded to a solid piece of sheetmetal (bit of an oxymoron...but you know what I mean), make sure you at least use a star washer as normal driving can loosen up your connection.




Closed Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Low on money = crap box ?
    By m3rK201 in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 11:18 PM
  2. whine in speakers with TV on
    By GPR1200 in forum Car Video, Security and Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 12:03 PM
  3. Rear Speakers wont turn on
    By kynedog in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 07:04 PM
  4. ANY TEST sheets on the JBL 600.1???
    By aero_ub in forum Amplifiers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-29-2003, 01:17 PM
  5. must be louder but low on space :'(
    By FalconXtreme in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 12:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum