Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Components or Coaxials for a Jeep?

HandsumAssassin is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Components or Coaxials for a Jeep?

Up until recently, I had been set on getting 5.25" and 6.5" JL VR or Infinity Kappa coaxials for my Jeep (6.5's in the soundbar, 5.25's in floor pods) and powering them with a 4-channel amp. It was suggested to me that I should look into components and a 2-channel amp instead. I have heard a set of Diamond S600s and I LOVED them.

If I went with those, I'd get just one set of them instead of 6.5" AND 5.25" components (that would be a little pricey)... would 1 set of Diamond S600s components sound better overall than 4 JL VR or Infinity Kappa coaxials?!?! I am primarily concerned with a possible lack of highs with 2 tweeters instead of 4 that I would have if I went with the coaxials.

Also, I realize that I'd be sending the Diamonds alot more power than the coaxials (100+ x2 RMS instead of 50-60 x4 RMS). Would the overhead soundbar be a sufficient enclosure for speakers with that sort of power going to them? If I went with the Diamonds, would I be better off having some custom floor enclosures made for the mids and mounting only the tweeters in the soundbar?

BTW, some of you might remember from the sub forum that I was wanting to get 1 12" Perfect for my Jeep and sending it 200RMS. Well, I've been pursuaded into getting 1 12" ED O and sending it a 2ohm load of 500RMS. Perhaps that will help you advise me on whether to choose the coaxials or the components.

Cheers and many thanks
    Larsen

Rich00 is offline Where da white women at??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Components or Coaxials for a Jeep?

Okay here we go again. I would go with the 5.25's and the 6.5's both so you could hear the music better in your jeep. Also with the speakers you are looking at 50-60x4 will be plenty to make them sound good. I don't like to keep bringing this up but a friend of mine has MB quart 4" component in his dash stock location and MB quart 5.25's in the sound bar and his mids and highs are unbelievable off a ppi amp. The diamonds would sound excellent but might not be able to keep up with the road noise and wind noise in the jeep. I am not real familair with the diamond speakers but the JL VR are good crisp sounding speaker and you shouldn't be disappointed.

refs- glowin3232(RE SE 12"), blue-accord(MTX 5400x), RMKrider1(traded stuff), Goodtimes(alpine 9815), ez2hotwire( RE SE 12") wizkid (orion co435)

2009 civic SI
    Stock "premium sound" HU with a custom mercman factory amp bypass harness
    Front stage: Boston sc65 with stock tweets
    Jl audio xd500/3
    Fi X 10" sealed or a 2012 Alpine type S 10 ported?

InhumanAcura is offline 1/3ofTEAM PwNAGE..*****es

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich00
    Okay here we go again. I would go with the 5.25's and the 6.5's both so you could hear the music better in your jeep. Also with the speakers you are looking at 50-60x4 will be plenty to make them sound good. I don't like to keep bringing this up but a friend of mine has MB quart 4" component in his dash stock location and MB quart 5.25's in the sound bar and his mids and highs are unbelievable off a ppi amp. The diamonds would sound excellent but might not be able to keep up with the road noise and wind noise in the jeep. I am not real familair with the diamond speakers but the JL VR are good crisp sounding speaker and you shouldn't be disappointed.
    I agree with him. Those diamonds sound awesome though. Look into some polk audio components, you could 2 sets for the price of the one on ebay and they sound great.

iceteebone is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

what kind of jeep is this? i have a 95 grand cherokee with 6.5's in the door and tweeters in the dash and i got set of kappas run off a us acoustics 4065 that sound excellent. only problem is the tweeter is harsh for my liking so i just backed off on the trebble and it sounds great.

Closed Thread