Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Question about rear fill (SQ)

brandonloserkid is offline audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Question about rear fill (SQ)

I'm planning out a budget SQ (I know SQ and budget don't really go together) build. I'm curious about rear fill.

Is rear fill necessary? The rear speaker locations in my SUV are in the very rear. They'll actually be behind the subs. They're basically the most rear item in the car.

Is it pointless to use this location, I can't imagine speakers in the very rear facing each other (and facing the sub box) would make for very good imaging, but I'm new to the SQ thing.

Can anyone give me any tips of staging/imaging inside a mid/full size SUV (it's a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe).

Thanks. Feels so good to be back in the game! This weekend was the first time I'd been back on here in 9 years!!!!!

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

Re: Question about rear fill (SQ)

that far back will not be heard at all .if anything the rear doors or nothing at all

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

DDtC is online now High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Skip it.

• 2010 Scion tC
    • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
    • JL 450/4v2 Active (Mid range, tweeters) JL 300/2v2 (Mid bass) DD M4(Subs)
    • Hertz HV 165XL
    • Hertz HT28
    • JL ZR800
    • 2 x DD 9512i
    • Singer 300 amp 15.1v bypass, 3 XS D3400s
    • Viper 5701 with Smart Start

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    that far back will not be heard at all .if anything the rear doors or nothing at all
    That's what I figured. After you and I talked last night I was thinking a lot about rear fill. Today my wife and I went grocery shopping and when I was getting the bags out I was looking at how much room I'll realistically have for a box, then I saw the rear speakers and had a WTF moment.

Maybe I glass the doors and make room for some speakers. If I were to glass the back doors, what would be the optimal position for rear fill?

mylows10 is online now Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)

i'd glass the frt doors and add 2 sets of components .if you really want them in the back ,then just do pods and add some mid woofers for the fill.you wont here them from the frt any way ,it would be just for people sitting in the back seats.

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I think the rear oem locations in your Santa Fe was for the family pet or something..i'm with lows, focus on the front stage

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Proper rear fill requires proper processing that isn't exactly cheap.

I'd skip it and focus on the front stage, for now. Once you've perfected the fronts, you can look into adding rears to give the stage more depth and create a more seemingly spacious listening environment.

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post

I'd skip it and focus on the front stage, for now. Once you've perfected the fronts, you can look into adding rears to give the stage more depth and create a more seemingly spacious listening environment.
    Ill agree with this statement here..I took my rear fill out for a bit, but once you have it in,and are really into music/good sound,it makes a big difference overall..i put back in, and couldnt be happier..as if a surround affect

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Agree with above. Rear fill is tricky and should be the last thing added when money is available.

A good sound stage requires proper speaker placement , aiming, and crossover settings. Stock locstions may not be able to give you what you want without spending money on processing power (I.e. time alignment). Even then, simple TA alone cannot make stock locations perfect.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post

Thanks man. I can hopefully start perfecting my front stage this weekend My sub is on it's way to me now. I'm not sure how great it will do in a SQ environment.

Decipha is offline www.EFI Dyno Tuning.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

welcome back brandon, im in the same boat, i've been out of the 'purchasing' car audio equipment game for a while now, im looking to do a decent setup in another one of my supercoupes and find myself in the same scenario

if it helps any, i usually find that a decent coaxil set in the rear with the high end cut (for example maybe a 12db/slope above say 2khz - 8khz) sounds most appealing to me, i find that it adds 'volume' but doesn't take away from the dynamics of the front stage, and with a full vehicle at times my rear passengers enjoy it as well since my fronts are mounted so low in the door, i know that won't help you any for an suv but may give you an idea

supercoupe enthusiast x9

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

IMO - the best way to introduce "rear fill" is an L-R mix, bandpass between 400-4kHz, and delayed 20ms or more.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Closed Thread