Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Rear Speakers not as loud as fronts?

Jaguar is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Icon32 Rear Speakers not as loud as fronts?

I just noticed my Rear speakers (2 6" Diamond D363i's) are not nearly as loud as the front speakers (also 6" Diamond D363i's). I have not checked these speakers for problems in a while, but pretty sure the problem is new. I tried the fade out completely towards the rear the back to the front, that's when I
    could really tell. This issue is not that they don't ''seem'' as loud because I went and listened closely to both rear speakers as well. Not only are they not
    as loud but the rear speakers both seem to have the equal amount of distortion. The front's are clear. What's the short list of possible problems. Could it
    be the head unit over-heated and shorted out the rear speaker outputs. I noticed the head unit gets hot as a *mf* (when I've taken it out to inspect it).
    Could it be a wiring issue? Could it be the HU is not able to supply enough power to the rear speakers? I turned the subs off, but I haven't tried turning
    off the amplifier off to see if everything is redistributed evenly, however, with the subs off (amp on) the result is the same, rear speakers low volume,
    distorted if I try to turn it up high. I find it hard to believe they are both blown. Given the description what do you guy "think" the problem is? Thanks.

Info: D363i - Diamond Audio 6" 120 Watts 2-Way Coaxial Speakers

James 1:2-5 2 Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience
    have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing
    . 5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all
    liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: Rear Speakers not as loud as fronts?

"Hot as a MF" is not a good thing. Check that the speaker wires are not pinched to ground somewhere. Otherwise, your HU rear channels are likely bad.

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

mylows10 is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

sounds like the amp in the deck maybe going bad .i had the same issue with an older alpine .the rears went bad and back of the deck where the heat sink is would get really hot.the deck finally just blew

pioneer avhx 5500 dvd, gzpa 1.4000 x 2
    ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE
    http://www.dcsoundlab.com

shpatb is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Sounds like you should get a 4 channel amp before you blow the headunit... even a small 50x4 real RMS would be better then the 10-15 you're getting from that thing now.

2008 G8 LC6i Kenwood 6.5's upfront, Morels in the rear. Alpine PDX-F4, 2x BA-SPG555 sealed with JBL 14001
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    Head unit - eclipse CD5000
    Front Components - Boston Z6's Rear "fill"- Boston SR95
    Front&Rear Amp - Boston GT24
    Sub -2x Boston SPG-555 @ 34hz
    Sub amp -BA GT28
    ect - 12 farad stinger cap,0 gauge stinger wiring, stinger 1500 battery, 200a alt
    refs: keifersracing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

hey @Jaguar , are the subs in a trunk? Are the rear speakers in a rear deck with the backs exposed to the trunk?

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quackhead View Post
    hey @Jaguar , are the subs in a trunk? Are the rear speakers in a rear deck with the backs exposed to the trunk?
    Hey what's up @quackhead . It's not something im overly concerned about, I just want to pinpoint the problem (read below), If it's the load on the amplifier in the back causing damage to the head unit no sense in buying a new head unit. For all we know so far the issue could be wiring. I'm taking the system to be checked tomorrow. To answer your question. I'm talking about the rear door speakers. The subs are in the trunk, but they are connected to the back of the head unit via a 2-Channel X-Series RCA Audio Interconnect Cable.

Quote Originally Posted by maylar View Post
    "Hot as a MF" is not a good thing. Check that the speaker wires are not pinched to ground somewhere. Otherwise, your HU rear channels are likely bad.
    Do you mean to say HU's getting really hot is unusual? The only way I was able to tell it was even hot was because I took it out, I could not tell from the face at all. I don't think it's uncommon, correct me if I'm wrong. Just like amplifiers they get hot. My amp is actually working a little harder lately because I doubled the RMS when I got new subwoofers. I have them wired parallel since they were dual voice as well, could that have had any affect on the head unit rear speakers?

Need advice.

James 1:2-5 2 Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience

NoLoud4U is offline High Output SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)

Who cares.. take them out, problem solved

2014 Ford Fusion
    All stock everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I would suggest wiring the rear speaker to the HU front outputs and listen to verify if it is HU problems or rear speaker problems. If your rear speakers are exposed to the pressure from the subs, they could very well be blown. Hopefully it is just a speaker wiring short..

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

9. Likes West liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shpatb View Post
    Sounds like you should get a 4 channel amp before you blow the headunit... even a small 50x4 real RMS would be better then the 10-15 you're getting from that thing now.
    But I haven't even told you what amp or head unit I have.

11. Dislikes sobe3yourself. disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

*gotcha

mylows10 is offline Dc,tantric,singer,phd rep mylows10 is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

and the speakers are in the back doors not rear deck .the back of the deck should not get hot period

ab vfl 350.4 ,7 pc 2150 and a 150 ah power ware agm ,275 amp singer alt , 2nd one coming soon
    cdt 6.5 es 6 im mids,cdt es 010 tweets,es 02 mids ,mx1000 3 way x overs , sky high and stinger hpm o gauge wires ,also 2 tantric hdd 15's in a 9.5. ^3 ported no wall box 11.5 octo port.
    NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

shpatb is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Most headunits only put out 15-18 watts RMS... I'm just going off that. I thought you were running your speakers off the headunit.

2008 G8 LC6i Kenwood 6.5's upfront, Morels in the rear. Alpine PDX-F4, 2x BA-SPG555 sealed with JBL 14001
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2
    Head unit - eclipse CD5000
    Front Components - Boston Z6's Rear "fill"- Boston SR95
    Front&Rear Amp - Boston GT24
    Sub -2x Boston SPG-555 @ 34hz
    Sub amp -BA GT28
    ect - 12 farad stinger cap,0 gauge stinger wiring, stinger 1500 battery, 200a alt
    refs: keifersracing

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mylows10 View Post
    and the speakers are in the back doors not rear deck .the back of the deck should not get hot period
    Say whaatt? If you take out the Head unit after say, one hour and get a feel on the metal, it's not supposed to be hot at all? I wonder why mine get's so hot.
    I have a 2 Channel 1000w peak amp running two 12" 4 ohm DVC subs 400w/800p wired parallel to 2 ohm. Those subs are running about 250Rms each on an amp like that. I know it's a bs amp, but I'm getting a new one next month. Could that be what's causing issues with the head unit? If so why wouldn't that
    affect the dual RCA line connected to the subwoofers as opposed to the rear door speakers in question?

Quote Originally Posted by shpatb View Post
    Most headunits only put out 15-18 watts RMS... I'm just going off that. I thought you were running your speakers off the headunit.
    I am running the speakers from the HU, only the amplifier is powering the subwoofers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

the sub amp pre out has no connection to the HU speaker level outputs, so don't worry about that being an issue. Hu internal amps are very small and do get real hot IIRC, yours is only rated for like 22wrms or so. I never used the HU amp because they don't put out much and get real hot...some folks run a set of tweeters or a center channel with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)

actually the hu amps are not supposed to get hot .maybe a little warm at most but certainly not hot.check all the wires first ,so that you can rule out a wire issue.but if the amp on the deck is getting really hot and the rear speakers are not playing as loud as the frt, even when you fade out the frt speakers then there is most likely a problem with the deck.i ran my daughters system [alpine deck] off the front and rear speaker wires from the deck for over 3 years and the back of the deck never got hot ever.

NOR CAL DB DRAG JUDGE

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast