Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Rainbow SLC 265 KICK

butterMilk is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow SLC 265 KICK

Was thinking of picking up a set of these, they seem to get good reviews.

It says that "System has to be used with an 80 Hz (12 dB/Oct.) high pass!"
    Thats not the crossover that comes with the speakers?
    My amp has no adjustment! It might have some type of high pass already set on it?

My big question. Would it be ok to use them on a stock HU/amp set up?

West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Re: Rainbow SLC 265 KICK

For the manufacturer to state clearly you need to filer the low freq's, theres probably a rock solid reason. I would suspect the speaker or crossover could be damaged if you dont filer.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mmmmmk. Thanks!

Would it be safe to say that the factory rockford system is already filtering that, in order to not blow speakers that are already there?

West is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heebs 09gts View Post
    Mmmmmk. Thanks!

Would it be safe to say that the factory rockford system is already filtering that, in order to not blow speakers that are already there?
    No, not necessarily. Bottom line is if you want better sound you are probably going to need to replace the deck. You have to figure that those speakers run at 75W rms and your stock system is probably around 22-50w. Your gonna be a lot more satisfied in the end if you get a new deck, external amp, and comp. speakers / sub. This doesnt have to be a very expensive undertaking, but it will probably be more than 450$

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya putting those in with no external amp is probably not gunna do them justice. Kinda like putting asanti rims on a civic or somethin.

2003 Acura RSX Type S
    Head Unit - Alpine iDA-X200 (USB Ipod Control)
    Front Speakers - Image Dynamics Ctx65cs
    Rear Speakers - Pioneer TS A1674R
    Subwoofers - Alpine Type-R Subs
    Sub Amplifier - Xtant x1001
    Speaker Amplifier - Linear Power 952 X 2
    Processor - Rockford Fosgate (rfq5000), Alpine Pxa-H100

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah good points! Im just not ready to get a new HU yet. Im kinda of curious what kind of sound i can get with just upgrading the speakers.

Im just hoping I don't kill the speakers before I get a new HU.

If I'm not satisfied with how the speakers sound coming off the stock HU/amp, Ill just run a new amp off my lc6i. And hopefully that has good sound!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

from the owners manual:
    ATTENTION: Kick bass component sets are no full range sets. They are designed as satellite sets and
    can
    not be used without an appropriate subwoofer
    Kick-Basses are designed to playback the Kick-Bass frequency range at its best. The Kick-Bass
    frequency range starts from 70 Hz and above. Because of this fact Kick-Basses can not play frequencies
    below 70 Hz. An amplifier with active high pass of about 80 Hz must be used to drive the Kick-Bass set.
    Further you will need an additional subwoofer which is set on low pass of about 80 Hz.
    The above mentioned notice is valid when exchanging existing woofers to Kick Bass woofers as well.
    The Kick Bass woofers need a burn-in time of about 10 hours to achieve their maximum performance
    NOTE: Driving the Kick-Bass sets with full range music signal will cause rattle sound with low bass and
    will damage the Kick-Bass woofers in the long-term!

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

definately replace the stock ones if you want, but not with the Rainbow SLC 265 KICK!

"Bailout: Taking a trillion dollars from the people and giving it to the banks so the banks can loan it back to the people, at interest!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh thanks for the heads up. Sorry, what is kick-bass? and uh, satellite set that can't be used without a sub woofer?

Well my first choice for speakers was Unity U61-2 6.5" 2-way Component Speaker System. But they wont ship to canada eh! **** !!!

Then I was about to buy these rainbows, not a good idea.

Any recommendations for some good 6.5 comps in the 350$ price range?
    Last edited by butterMilk; 06-13-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Oh thanks for the heads up. Sorry, what is kick-bass? and uh, satellite set that can't be used without a sub woofer?

Well my first choice for speakers was Unity U61-2 6.5" 2-way Component Speaker System. But they wont ship to canada eh! **** !!!

Kick Bass = Kick Drum in a drum set...the loud punchy bass in most songs.....the Rainbow Kicks are designed with emphasis in the 70hz region to accurately reproduce the kick drum frequencies with a steep active cut-off below that. Playing them full range will cause bottoming and make them sound like crap until they die from the voice coil slamming into the back plate.....actually I bet they sound real good with an active midbass/subbass setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Kick Bass = Kick Drum in a drum set...the loud punchy bass in most songs.....the Rainbow Kicks are designed with emphasis in the 70hz region to accurately reproduce the kick drum frequencies with a steep active cut-off below that. Playing them full range will cause bottoming and make them sound like crap until they die from the voice coil slamming into the back plate.....actually I bet they sound real good with an active midbass/subbass setup

04silverz is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I have the sac465 kicks and they came with a separate hpf that was included. So I have two crossovers per side

refs (from sounddomain):gerald, resonant18, puppettmaster, steedaSVT, george diaz, minimum 40, blaze1foo, negative3five
    ca.com: foxpro5, cd6551, dgr00s, 95stroked1500, 00maxima, vipervenom18, alxmlr789, Killa Camry, GA95DCMSS, cyoung88, grimreper912003, 6spdcoupe, kraudio12, MHd2000, king nothing, stephens30228, mclerico83, hip3, mylows10, fieryhooligan, plyer3, 2lo2flo, trumpet, stereohead69, 99_olds_aurora

diyma: bikinpunk, funkPnut, dman, joehemi57

CACO:coolysteve, etznova, Nori808, lowbass, edouble101, p928gts1, rdlyn13000

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04silverz View Post
    I have the sac465 kicks and they came with a separate hpf that was included. So I have two crossovers per side
    the manual for the Rainbow SLC 265.25 Kick does not mention a hp crossover for the Kick, it specifically states an Active x-over high pass at 80hz must be used. The info I referenced earlier was copied and pasted from page 20 of this:
    http://rainbow-audio.pl/docs/SLC_21025-23025-26525.pdf

04silverz is online now CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yup. Guess I should've clarified that I was just putting in my .02 not tring to say you were wrong. Def appears to be solid info. Kinda odd they include a hpf in one set but not another.

refs (from sounddomain):gerald, resonant18, puppettmaster, steedaSVT, george diaz, minimum 40, blaze1foo, negative3five
    ca.com: foxpro5, cd6551, dgr00s, 95stroked1500, 00maxima, vipervenom18, alxmlr789, Killa Camry, GA95DCMSS, cyoung88, grimreper912003, 6spdcoupe, kraudio12, MHd2000, king nothing, stephens30228, mclerico83, hip3, mylows10, fieryhooligan, plyer3, 2lo2flo, trumpet, stereohead69, 99_olds_aurora

diyma: bikinpunk, funkPnut, dman, joehemi57

CACO:coolysteve, etznova, Nori808, lowbass, edouble101, p928gts1, rdlyn13000

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04silverz View Post
    Yup. Guess I should've clarified that I was just putting in my .02 not tring to say you were wrong. Def appears to be solid info. Kinda odd they include a hpf in one set but not another.
    that was kinda the point I was making, my feelers aint hurt lol...I posted the link to the manual for the OP's benifit. Are the ones you use impressive?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast