Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Image Dynamics XS 6.5" midranges cone separating from surround after 5 years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Image Dynamics XS 6.5" midranges cone separating from surround after 5 years?

Hi,

I have a set of Image Dynamics 6.5" component speakers in my Tahoe. Recently I noticed they were distorting a lot and farting out if I turned the volume up too much. I ordered another set of midranges and when I took my door panels off I discovered that there was about a 1/2" gap between the cone and the surround on both mids. It wasn't all the way around, but on about 1/3 of the cone there was separation. Of course I dropped in the replacements and everything is good again. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again, or is 5 years about the shelf line for paper coned speakers living in a car's door?

Thanks!

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1157 Post(s)

Re: Image Dynamics XS 6.5" midranges cone separating from surround after 5 years?

it is possible the cones are touching the door panel when excursion is high, causing the separation. verify you have enough distance between the cone/surround and panel.

you can simply re-glue the surround and have the speakers working again. i'll take them off your hands.

i have gotten 15+ years out of car audio speakers. but after 10 years, on some, i've had to re-glue the surround. it depends on the materials used.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

LoneStarWings is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Image Dynamics XS 6.5" midranges cone separating from surround after 5 years?

Thanks for the reply. I took a look, and the cones aren't touching the door or anything else; the mounting holes are cut to the specified diameter. I guess I'll just keep an eye on the new ones. Too bad ID went out of business, I've gottten a lot of enjoyment out of their gear over the years. No problems with my pair of IDMax 12's.

Horsemanwill is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

first the cones aren't made of paper it's a composite material. and unfortunatley ID isn't outa biz they just have new owners. If Eric was there and that h appened i'm sure he would have taken care of the problem with no charge as for the new owner they'll say ur sol. go to parts express they do sell some glue.

Pioneer Carrozzeria DEH P01
    Tru SB6
    Silver Flute W17RC38-08 6-1/2" Wool Cone
    Tru Steel S25
    ES Full body horns soon to come
    2x JBL W12GTI

robertoyoung08 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Horsemanwill View Post
    first the cones aren't made of paper it's a composite material. and unfortunatley ID isn't outa biz they just have new owners. If Eric was there and that h appened i'm sure he would have taken care of the problem with no charge as for the new owner they'll say ur sol. go to parts express they do sell some glue.
    Horseman- looking at your sig i see you have a ton of ID equipment. do you by any chance have any you're willing to part with and sell?

2005 Lexus GS300
    -DC Power XP 270 H/O Alternator, Big 3, Kinetik HC2400, XS D680 in trunk
    -Stock NAV unit w/ RF 3sixty.3
    -JL HD 1200/1
    -JL HD 600/4
    -Hybrid Audio Clarus front stage; Diamond D6 rear fill
    -2x 10" Ascendant Audio Chaos in 4th order.

Horsemanwill is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

onfortunately not at this time. but i may be able to track down something tah t your looking for . is there anything in particular?

Pioneer Carrozzeria DEH P01
    Tru SB6
    Silver Flute W17RC38-08 6-1/2" Wool Cone
    Tru Steel S25
    ES Full body horns soon to come
    2x JBL W12GTI

Gary S is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Car doors are a harsh environment for speakers. 5 years use is pretty reasonable. Manufacturers have had problems with glues used for speakers for a long time. Note that some subwoofers have stitched surrounds.

For Sale

Kicker C15C-4 Competition 15" 4-ohm subwoofer, new in box, old stock

Soundstream Reference 405 5-channel amplifier

(2) Parts Express DVC12 12 inch subwoofers

Send a private message to me for more details on these products.

Closed Thread