Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: 4ohms Stereo to 2ohms Stereo

audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Icon6 4ohms Stereo to 2ohms Stereo

Question being: Have a component set with xovers@4ohms, and would like to go 2ohms,adding a 4ohm tweeter before the xover, or off of the xover gives me the 2ohms Im looking for?And same components,but would like to add an 8ohm midbass,what ohms will that one give me?Like 2.6?Thanks

oldschool4me is offline Premium Member oldschool4me is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Re: 4ohms Stereo to 2ohms Stereo

adding all that will likely put you right back at 4 ish or so.

REF's: Revrider1, Kevinn, darkhunter139, 2002XLT,
    lax916, bad @ss chevy, dropped_mazda, integra88, CRXBMPN, 88irocZ, the franchise, SlainNothing, pootie, khmer rouge, NewAgeKing, thegreatestpenn, oneill584, headless, scoob8000, Blados,ProjectPechkin, Krackerjack, CrownVicon24's, Louisiana_CRX, go_go_thrash, IonSQL, PBateman, ericoutdoorguy, Flomaster, B-roc, RetroAudioinc, ampjunkielikeme, bur1196, integra2468, illbmeubu, j3bus2k3, wgsj_fortvalley, l7runner, Fast1one, +many more
    Ref thread:
    http://caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/286493-oldschool4me-feedback-thread.html
    R.I.P Taylor Lampart (NewAgeKing) 5/13/1988 - 1/24/2010

3. Thanks audiobaun thanked for this post
    audiobaun is offline Premium Member audiobaun is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool4me View Post
    adding all that will likely put you right back at 4 ish or so.
    Well, Im wanting to get to the 2ohm on the components, and by adding the 4ohm tweet to the 4ohm components, will give me that 2ohms Im needing/wanting, but does it need be added before the component xover, or on the xover on the tweet ?
    And just the component set @4ohms with xovers/same set, by adding an 8ohm mid, will that put me closer to 2ohms?At the xover, or before?4ohms adding an 8ohm will give me a ?ohm load?Thanks
    Two seperate qusetionss here, sorry I was not clear on that,I will do either/or with the components.Curious what that 8ohm and 4ohm will drop to?Thanks

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

um only way i would try 2ohm would be with an identical set of components in parallel.

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

6. Thanks audiobaun thanked for this post
    Likes subzero liked this post
    duanebro is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It will not give you 2 ohms. And you added another 4 ohm mid the current drivers would see the same wattage as you have right now. But the new ones you added would be pulling more wattage from your amp.

HU - Pioneer
    Front Stage - Old school MB Quartz run off a JL e2150
    Rear Stage - Stock - well one works, LOL
    Sub - Tang Band 740C in between the front seats
    Sub Amp - A tiny Kenwood. - because it fits under the seat.
    Total Spent on everything $50.

8. Thanks audiobaun thanked for this post
    oldschool4me is offline Premium Member oldschool4me is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

well if you have an 8 ohm speaker and a 4 ohm comp set your amp will see around a 6 ohm load.

lax916, bad @ss chevy, dropped_mazda, integra88, CRXBMPN, 88irocZ, the franchise, SlainNothing, pootie, khmer rouge, NewAgeKing, thegreatestpenn, oneill584, headless, scoob8000, Blados,ProjectPechkin, Krackerjack, CrownVicon24's, Louisiana_CRX, go_go_thrash, IonSQL, PBateman, ericoutdoorguy, Flomaster, B-roc, RetroAudioinc, ampjunkielikeme, bur1196, integra2468, illbmeubu, j3bus2k3, wgsj_fortvalley, l7runner, Fast1one, +many more
    Ref thread:
    http://caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/286493-oldschool4me-feedback-thread.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    um only way i would try 2ohm would be with an identical set of components in parallel.
    Well, I have a 3way 4ohm component set, w a 6.75,4,and a 7/8 tweet, and wanting to add another tweet in the pillars,and wanting to get a 2ohms load out of my amp(Hifonics VII Odin),and by adding another tweet 4ohms.I do have a preamp eq to adjust the tweet.Im thinking its same as adding 2 SVC 4ohm subs,and getting it to 2ohms,but wondering if It needs to come off the supply of the amplifier ,or off of the xover box?Im thinking before, as the xover box may not work with adding another 4ohm tweet, and get hot/begin to melt with the power being supplied?Any info would be appreciated,Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

the only additional gain u will get is the extra sound from the additional speaker going to 2ohm isnt going to help anything except screwing up your sound stage

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

might want to think about changing up to an active set up. your talking about adding tweets and another mid, which you can cap the tweets but will run the woofer at full range. might not mesh well with your current comps.

Ref thread:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

the only additional gain u will get is the extra sound from the additional speaker going to 2ohm isnt going to help anything except screwing up your sound stage
    Ok.Ive always been @2ohms stereo,without using a component set with a xover,just speaker to speaker.I do like the 2ohm stereo set up,and retrieve the extra power from the amp(runs a little warmer)reason why I have chosen to go with the VII Hifonics series for this with the lower THD@0.01% @120rms at 2ohms rated @11.5v, and using a Kicker Preamp KQ9 to clean everything up.I will be using the O2 3way components, and 4-1000rms subs, and looking to not get too far out of being drowned out by the subs,@2ohms on the subs,coming from a 1ohm load(done with the 1ohm config).Adding another set of tweets up front should help out.All going in a 98xcab chevy.So 4ohms will sound much better for me/my sound stage?Im also /have got a set of Massive 6.5 2way comp,in the rear fill to help out with staging@4ohms on a VII Hifonics Vulcan.But will adding that tweet @ the xover get me that 2ohms?or before the xover box?Thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool4me View Post
    might want to think about changing up to an active set up. your talking about adding tweets and another mid, which you can cap the tweets but will run the woofer at full range. might not mesh well with your current comps.
    Will just do the 3way components, and add the tweet,is what I really would like to do , so I can get the 2ohms out of that amp,and I will be able to adjust the sound/staging with the eq,.I thought about the components, 4ohm, and adding the 8ohm mid, but not sure what ohms that would kick me into.I will stay with the tweet add on regardless, but before the xover box, or after?Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by audiobaun View Post
    Ok.Ive always been @2ohms stereo,without using a component set with a xover,just speaker to speaker.I do like the 2ohm stereo set up,and retrieve the extra power from the amp(runs a little warmer)reason why I have chosen to go with the VII Hifonics series for this with the lower THD@0.01% @120rms at 2ohms rated @11.5v, and using a Kicker Preamp KQ9 to clean everything up.I will be using the O2 3way components, and 4-1000rms subs, and looking to not get too far out of being drowned out by the subs,@2ohms on the subs,coming from a 1ohm load(done with the 1ohm config).Adding another set of tweets up front should help out.All going in a 98xcab chevy.So 4ohms will sound much better for me/my sound stage?Im also /have got a set of Massive 6.5 2way comp,in the rear fill to help out with staging@4ohms on a VII Hifonics Vulcan.But will adding that tweet @ the xover get me that 2ohms?or before the xover box?Thanks
    sure running 2 ohm will give u more power but the power will be wasted on the additional speaker. i would bridge the amp if u can cause what you are trying to do wont work for what you want.

and id love to knowhow you plan on putting 6.5s in the back of that truck. cuz you arent going to pull the plastic panels out without breaking them i can assure u of that. i had that model truck and its just not possible with the age of that truck the plastics just get to brittle kinda like a 98 dodges dash.

2012 Nissan Versa Hatch

16. Thanks audiobaun thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

sure running 2 ohm will give u more power but the power will be wasted on the additional speaker. i would bridge the amp if u can cause what you are trying to do wont work for what you want.

and id love to knowhow you plan on putting 6.5s in the back of that truck. cuz you arent going to pull the plastic panels out without breaking them i can assure u of that. i had that model truck and its just not possible with the age of that truck the plastics just get to brittle kinda like a 98 dodges dash.
    I have them in there already.I left the existing 4x6 where they are, and have made a speaker box out of 3/4mdf contoured to the ridge of the roof, and back glass facing forward, but those have and dont see much power,50rms @most is what I have ever had on them,but changing out my speakers throughout the entire truck this time,and removed the rear seat for building a sub box for each 1000rms 10@1.6-1.8cuft ported in seperate chambers, with an amp on each set of subs,I have matted the rear so far, and doing the doors this week for the components,and just changing out the rear speakers.I have done the Big 3/5 with 0ga.and have 2red tops, and adding an additional 600 Kinetic for the supply and a new Ho alt around 225amp this time.It should sound pretty decent, and not going to give the subs but maybe 1/2 power on them,using 2 VIII Cyclops@2ohms this time,I for each set of subs.I think that will be plenty for me this time around

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

By bridging that 2 ch amp,I will be in a mono load,and im needing that amp in the stereo mode @2ohms.I am still open for all input on the question of the xover addition of the tweets @ the xover, or before,Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

your also going to lose a little sq by running at 2 ohms.

Ref thread:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast