Closed Thread

Reload Thread: I have a ford :[ 6X8's, 6.5's, or 5X7's?

RG1
    RG1 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I have a ford :[ 6X8's, 6.5's, or 5X7's?

I just bought my first front/rear speaker amp and its time to get some real speakers. I have a few questions about what to consider.

1) is there an advantage to getting round versus oval?

2) I have some tweeters from some fusion encounter 6.5's should i just scrap these or should i use these with a 2-way coaxial?

3) my amp is a SAX-100.4d (100 rms @ 4ohm) What speakers should i get based on this info?

btw I am only worried about the front speakers for now. for more info on my setup check out my signature.

Thanks!

References:
    Ebay- http://myworld.ebay.com/rockerguy2007

Bettr n' Revrse is offline I do what I want

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2341 Post(s)

Re: I have a ford :[ 6X8's, 6.5's, or 5X7's?

I would do 6.5 comps in the front then 6x8 coaxials in the rear...

Western Rep.

99 Honda CRV: (Always Changing) ___________ 79 F-150: Show Truck ________________
    -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100________________ -Head Unit: Eclipse CD7100
    -Sub Stage: Sundown SD-2 8's sealed________ -Sub Stage: Looking
    -Mids/Highs: Deciding_____________________ -Mids/Highs: Scan Speak & Blaupunkt
    -Sub Amp: MMATS Hifi 6 channel____________ -Sub Amp: American Warrior Set (Zed Built)
    -Mid Amp: ^^^ 5/6 bridged at 1 ohm_________ -Mid Amp: ^^^

zako is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RG1 View Post
    I just bought my first front/rear speaker amp and its time to get some real speakers. I have a few questions about what to consider.

1) is there an advantage to getting round versus oval?
    In theory, the larger oval speaker should give you lower FS and higher air displacement, which shouldn't be bad for midbass output. The problem with 5x7/6x8 comps is that there aren't many options out there. You're mostly limited to JL Audio (C3, C5), Harman Kardon products (Infinity and JBL), and Image Dynamics xs series. If you ask me, this is not so bad. If you can afford it, consider JL Audio C5-570. JL is a quality brand, and the C5 set has very good reviews. If these don't suit you, then look into round speaker. Some of them come with adapter brackets. I got myself an adapter bracket set from
    PVC Speaker Adapters - CNC Machined - In Stock or Custom Made.

2) I have some tweeters from some fusion encounter 6.5's should i just scrap these or should i use these with a 2-way coaxial?
    Bad idea IMO. 2-way coaxial is a full range speaker that comes with its own tweeters. With an additional set of tweeters, you only get more confusing imaging and frequency response.. If I was upgrading this car, I'd get components with their own tweeters and replace the factory tweeter.

3) my amp is a SAX-100.4d (100 rms @ 4ohm) What speakers should i get based on this info?

btw I am only worried about the front speakers for now. for more info on my setup check out my signature.

Thanks!
    Most speakers should work fine with this amplifier.

Have you decided which stereo you're going to use? Factory, something else?

RG1
    RG1 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Thanks Zako and bettr,

Zako, honestly I was looking in the $100-200 range.

Infinity Kappa 680.9cs with sound dampener-189.95
    JBL GTO8608C + Sound Dampening -$159.95
    JL C3 -$239.95
    JL C5 -$299.95

out of those is there a huge difference between the infinity's and the JL C3's and C5's?

Bettr, in my car the speakers are in the hatch in the very back. So, I was thinking of just putting the back channels directly behind the back bench seat. Maybe mounted to the seat or the luggage cover in a box. Would there be a better size to use for this and should i go comps or coaxial?

References:
    Ebay- http://myworld.ebay.com/rockerguy2007

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)

Most speakers have their good and bad sides. Maybe you should try to audit the Kappas. Some people complain that Kappas have harsh treble but good bass. Others say, they don't have enough bass. Rarely I have heard that reviewers have significant reservations about the JL Audio C5 speakers. If JL Audio C5 is too expensive, I would have preferred something like Massive Audio CK6V with an adapter bracket. My preference is towards speakers that can play as low frequencies as possible with good authority , so that I could use a low crossover frequency between the front speakers and the subwoofer, but without sacrificing the clarity of the midrange and high frequencies. According to reviews, the new CK6V speakers are such a speaker. Sonicelectronix.com sells them for something like 169 shipped. The only issue is that you will need to get some kind of mounting bracket, and since they often don't work right, modify it. The JBL and Infinity products do have the advantage of not requiring any brackets (they're owned by the same company, btw)

Don't spend your money on the speaker and sound dampening bundle. There won't be enough material to do it right. I'd recommend to buy the dampening products from raammat.com. Their box of raammat bxt2 costs like $90, but it's enough to treat all your doors, trunk, and then some more. If you don't need so much, I believe you could request just half of the box. And don't forget Ensolite.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1183 Post(s)

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    661 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RG1 View Post
    Thanks Zako and bettr,

Zako, honestly I was looking in the $100-200 range.

Infinity Kappa 680.9cs with sound dampener-189.95
    JBL GTO8608C + Sound Dampening -$159.95
    JL C3 -$239.95
    JL C5 -$299.95

out of those is there a huge difference between the infinity's and the JL C3's and C5's?

Bettr, in my car the speakers are in the hatch in the very back. So, I was thinking of just putting the back channels directly behind the back bench seat. Maybe mounted to the seat or the luggage cover in a box. Would there be a better size to use for this and should i go comps or coaxial?
    i have 2 sets of high end Pioneer Premier REV 6x8s these were some of the best 6x8s ever made...if intrested pm me i may sell them

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Closed Thread