Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Great 6.5" Coax???

The_Grimy_One is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Great 6.5" Coax???

Ok, so I am thinking of going the cheap, lazy route, and just running some good 6.5" Coax in my car. Now this is just an idea, but I havent been working much, and could use the extra money by selling my HAT Clarus set. I will probably invest some more to CCF and MLV for my doors and interior. My question is, though? What is some of the best sets that can take some good power? And will these sets keep up with about 1500 watts sub stage?

Deck: Pioneer 80PRS
    Front Stage: Incriminator Audio I65C / Front Amp: Alpine MRV F540
    Sub: 12" Sundown ZV3 / Sub Amp: MMATS 2000.1
    Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree
    Traded With: ge_off_me, Imjtnotu

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Re: Great 6.5" Coax???

I'm currently running a set of coaxs in my car on 175wrms each while I'm rebuilding and.....they keep up but not as well as I'd like (I only run 2 10s on 750wrms). But you may like your sound more bass heavy than me.

At any rate, whats your budget for coaxs?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by princ3cmo View Post
    I'm currently running a set of coaxs in my car on 175wrms each while I'm rebuilding and.....they keep up but not as well as I'd like (I only run 2 10s on 750wrms). But you may like your sound more bass heavy than me.

At any rate, whats your budget for coaxs?
    Yea I would assume I like a little bit more bass. Lol. I would love to put 2 sets of Coax in my door, just not very good with fiberglassing. I really wouldnt have a budget if I sold my Clarus set, though.

Bought From: ge_off_me, Boomsday, Chemmins, impactas, Sleazebagger, NoPh33rRaCiNg, fasfocus00, 50cents, flastrongman, pborcich, ace_800, GAMEOVERCCA
    Sold To: Jamesmington, Juicee, Bunkrd you, Donnie Darko, ge_off_me, destined2race, todd131, Imjtnotu, mclerico83, aimology, Audiobahn, kpetree

Fiendstolemyamp is offline Call of the Wintermoon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Imagines come set up as coax, probably be your best bet. ID ctx coax's are pretty good for the price, they are only a little over $100 new.

I use gain as a volume control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Grimy_One View Post
    Yea I would assume I like a little bit more bass. Lol. I would love to put 2 sets of Coax in my door, just not very good with fiberglassing. I really wouldnt have a budget if I sold my Clarus set, though.
    Imagines, or Boston Pros come to mind. Both are setup to run as coax or component. and I've heard of the BA Pros taking upwards of 200wrms per side

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Imagines, or Boston Pros come to mind. Both are setup to run as coax or component. and I've heard of the BA Pros taking upwards of 200wrms per side
    Man, I wanted a BA Pro set, but when I was component shopping, all the prices had gone up. Let me look around again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Man, I wanted a BA Pro set, but when I was component shopping, all the prices had gone up. Let me look around again.
    They're like 350 a set. I remember seeing a used set over on DIYMA for like 250 or 225 shipped. I'm more than likely going with the BA Pro set next in my tC. It wont be nearly as hard to tune as a DIY 3 way comp set and I hear the midbass on them pounds hard enough to rival nicer 3 ways.

RAM_Designs is offline SketchUp Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

I like my Imagine set. I'm running them in a quasi-3way setup with them in the doors running 80hz-8khz, and running my tweets at 8khz and up to raise the stage a little...seems to be working pretty well.

1,400+ designs since March 2011...
    I have my PM's turned off, please email at Ryan@RAM-Designs.com

9. Likes The_Grimy_One liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

They're like 350 a set. I remember seeing a used set over on DIYMA for like 250 or 225 shipped. I'm more than likely going with the BA Pro set next in my tC. It wont be nearly as hard to tune as a DIY 3 way comp set and I hear the midbass on them pounds hard enough to rival nicer 3 ways.
    They were going for $280 new on eBay a while back :/
    But I may try to hunt a set down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RAM_Designs View Post
    I like my Imagine set. I'm running them in a quasi-3way setup with them in the doors running 80hz-8khz, and running my tweets at 8khz and up to raise the stage a little...seems to be working pretty well.
    I would think the mids would be beaming by then running from 80 to 8khz or do u mean u have them in coaxial mode in the doors and then extra tweets up high?

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

They were going for $280 new on eBay a while back :/
    But I may try to hunt a set down.
    wuuuuuuuuuuuut? I wish I would've known they were $280 a set, I'd have bought those no questions asked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

I would think the mids would be beaming by then running from 80 to 8khz or do u mean u have them in coaxial mode in the doors and then extra tweets up high?
    I have them set up as a coax in the doors with my TB tweets in the a-pillars. After a couple weeks the midbass really improved, I was a little worried at first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RAM_Designs View Post
    I have them set up as a coax in the doors with my TB tweets in the a-pillars. After a couple weeks the midbass really improved, I was a little worried at first.
    OH, got ya. hmmm....maybe I should add some temp tweets up high for now while I'm in between builds. My stage is in my dash instead of on top of it.
    anywhoo.... what kinda power are u running to the Imagines?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

OH, got ya. hmmm....maybe I should add some temp tweets up high for now while I'm in between builds. My stage is in my dash instead of on top of it.
    anywhoo.... what kinda power are u running to the Imagines?
    I'm just using my Elevation Audio DX80.4, running two channels to the Imagines and two to the tweets. They still get very loud, as loud as I need them to for normal listening. But I did notice that with them crossed at 8khz at 12db/oct they're noticeably louder than when ran full range, so that helps.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

wuuuuuuuuuuuut? I wish I would've known they were $280 a set, I'd have bought those no questions asked.
    Yea, I wish I did too. It was like 2 weeks when I looked back and all prices went up... And the HAT sets run high frequencies... I know some guy that ran a 6.5" and a 3", with no tweet! All the way up to 22k Hz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yea, I wish I did too. It was like 2 weeks when I looked back and all prices went up... And the HAT sets run high frequencies... I know some guy that ran a 6.5" and a 3", with no tweet! All the way up to 22k Hz.
    I could see that. a 3incher doesnt beam until like 53xx hz then he probably had the 3s on axis so he was within the beam and not losing the FR. Not much in music above 10khz anyway. I actually thought about doing that in my car. I was thinking RAM was using the 6.5 in his doors up to 8khz. That would've made the passenger driver more on axis and he would be getting more high frequencies from his right side and a weird right stage. Lol

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast