Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Seas or Morel?

Seraphim38 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Seas or Morel?

First of all, this is my first post here and I am glad to be here. I am an accomplished sound engineer in the professional concert touring world and work for one of the largest manufacturers of professional audio equipment in the world. I competed in IASCA 20 years ago, and my best friend was a #1 national winner in the early 90s.

That said, I am considering getting passively involved again in the car audio scene. I would like to know which you would think would be better. I have the ability to run up to 6.5" front and rear seperates. I have one Memphis 4 channel 1000w rms amplifier that I may decide to use.

-Seas L15LRY/P 5 inch drivers with Seas tweeters and madisound-built custom crossovers, since I already have these leftover from my home theater build and would have money left over for processing/amplification

-Buy Morel Maximo 6.5" components front and rear and call it a day

If I used my Seas drivers, they would be higher resistance than the Morels which would be purpose built for auto sound use. The Seas quality would probably sound exception in the midrange, but could be lacking in mid bass compared to the Morel setup. If I use the Seas drivers I could use money not spent on components to buy processing and a separate class D amp to run an active/biamp setup. I am partial to class D amplification because this car is used for autocross racing and every pound of weight is important. The Seas tweeters are really large and probably won't mount in a car well, so if I use the Seas woofers it might be good to purchase a set of higher end tweeters to accomodate them.

If I buy the Morel setup, I would probably get more midbass from the 6.5s but would be running a passive crossover setup. It would be easy and straight forward though.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help.

wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: Seas or Morel?

for a car that just needs sounds I'd just grab the morels instead of the extra work with the seas. The seas are more tailored to my taste in music, but the simplicity would be much better for a car that you don't want to add tons of deadener to.

I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

Closed Thread