Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Best Focals for me...

sussD01 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Best Focals for me...

Hey guys, I joined this forum a little while back to ask about my Memphis 6x9s and got some great advice. I'm getting a new truck in a few months though and will be giving my old setup to the wife so I can take a step up in the new ride. I'm off to Fort Benning in a couple months and I'm looking to get this done soon before I head off for training.

A little while after I bought my old system I heard the Focals in the shop and fell in love. Now that I'm shopping for my next speakers, I just need to figure out now which set works for me. I listened in store the other day and have basically 3 options:

165KRC, 165VB, and 165KR2/KRX2

I understand that the KRC is a coax and the VB and KR2s are comps, but based on my listening preferences I'm not sure which one works best for me. I'm all about sound quality, but I've stayed away from components in the past because tweeters generally make my ears bleed and I love me some deep bass. I've always had a 15" sub in the trunk and gotta have bass--I'll be getting a Ram 1500 Quad Cab though, so I'll probably switch over to a couple 10s on the subwoofer side.

Basically I realize that the KR2s are the highest end of these three, but I'm afraid the tweeter being too piercing for my ears. With the KRC being a coax higher up on the food chain than the VB component, between those two would it be best to go with the lower end component over the higher end coax?

It isn't that money is no object, but I want something that I won't want to upgrade a few years from now and that I can be happy with for the next decade or so. With the setup right now (if I only go with one 10") sub I'm planning on running a JL HD 900x5 to the speakers and sub.

Any thoughts on these speakers (and tweeters)? Thanks in advance for the help.

Suss
    Last edited by sussD01; 12-20-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Why So Cereal? is offline Invisible Cereal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Re: Best Focals for me...

your aiming/placement and EQ settings will determine how "harsh" the tweeters are. So, dont let that be your determining factor in coax vs component. The install will really determine how the entire set sounds regardless of what you buy. That being said, comp sets typically allow for more install options thus allowing you to more tailor your sound to your personal preferences, but, thats not to say coaxials cant sound good but typically require more work to get as good a sound stage as comps.

IMO, go with whichever set sounds best to your ears and ,from there, work on your install to get the sound you're after.

3. Thanks sussD01 thanked for this post
    wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

focal tweeters are much brighter then other softer domed tweeters, you can eq it out ect. but it is still that way

5. Thanks sussD01 thanked for this post
    Joseph7195 is offline Can't Walk, I still F*ck

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Hey Man, welcome back to the forum! Congrats on your new Ram. I have a Ram Quad cab and I love it dearly (except the gas mileage, lol). There are many many people on here that can help you, cause I think you can get what you would like to accomplish. You gave a lot of information, you mind if i ask you a couple more question?

What year model Ram?
    Are you gonna be keeping the stock head unit?
    Will you be doing any door reinforcing or sound deadening to the truck?
    Are you gonna run 4 speakers and a sub or 2 front speakers and a sub?

There are probably a couple more questions others might want to ask just to cover everything, but I don't think you should have a problem getting what you want!

Alpine 9833
    Boston Accoustics Front & Rear
    Cadence United Series Vegas 4 Channel
    Cadence S2W12-D2
    Cadence United Series Dakota Mono Amp
    Duralast 1,000 amp battery, X-Static 2,000 Amp Battery
    Rockford Foagate 1/0 wire, and interconnects
    Cadence shielded RCA wire
    Dynamat sound deadening, Fatmat sound deadening

7. Thanks sussD01 thanked for this post
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

If you get things figured out and think that these might work for you, I have the midbass drivers from this set. WoofersEtc.com - 165VR - Focal 6.5" Polyglass Component Speakers

I don't need them for anything so maybe you can put them to use. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

9. Thanks sussD01 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph7195 View Post
    Hey Man, welcome back to the forum! Congrats on your new Ram. I have a Ram Quad cab and I love it dearly (except the gas mileage, lol). There are many many people on here that can help you, cause I think you can get what you would like to accomplish. You gave a lot of information, you mind if i ask you a couple more question?

What year model Ram?
    Are you gonna be keeping the stock head unit?
    Will you be doing any door reinforcing or sound deadening to the truck?
    Are you gonna run 4 speakers and a sub or 2 front speakers and a sub?

There are probably a couple more questions others might want to ask just to cover everything, but I don't think you should have a problem getting what you want!
    Thanks everybody for the quick responses!

Joseph,

-I'm looking at the 2012 Ram 1500, but if the dealership happens to come up with a well-priced 2011, then I might snatch that up instead.

-The guy I spoke to at the shop convinced me to keep the stock HU, which I actually thought was a decent idea so long as I throw a good amp in there.

-I would imagine they would put in some door deadening, but it didn't come up the other day. Is that a no question sort of move?

-The shop also suggested I just go with the 2 front speaker 6.5s and then sub(s) in the back.

Does that help narrow anything down?

WENN_DU_WEINST and PRINC3CMO,

That's what I've been reading about the Focals in general, hence why I was actually leaning toward the coaxials to take the emphasis off of the tweeters. When I got my Memphis 6x9s I had a problem with them sounding pretty bright, and then found out that the amp was just tuned that way. I've had no problems on the install with my shop in the slightest, but I don't have too much knowledge on tuning amps and tweaking settings to sounds how it should. I'm worried that if I get the high speed setup and don't know how to properly tune it to get the tweeters toned down, that I'd be wasting my money. If the shop doesn't set the speakers how I like it, what's the learning curve like on tweaking things to my liking?

CIAONZO,

That might actually help trim the cost for me and give me a little more breathing room for a custom sub setup in the back. Will PM you.

Joseph7195 is offline Can't Walk, I still F*ck

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sussD01 View Post
    Thanks everybody for the quick responses!

Joseph,

-I'm looking at the 2012 Ram 1500, but if the dealership happens to come up with a well-priced 2011, then I might snatch that up instead.

-The guy I spoke to at the shop convinced me to keep the stock HU, which I actually thought was a decent idea so long as I throw a good amp in there.

-I would imagine they would put in some door deadening, but it didn't come up the other day. Is that a no question sort of move?

-The shop also suggested I just go with the 2 front speaker 6.5s and then sub(s) in the back.

Does that help narrow anything down?

WENN_DU_WEINST and PRINC3CMO,

That's what I've been reading about the Focals in general, hence why I was actually leaning toward the coaxials to take the emphasis off of the tweeters. When I got my Memphis 6x9s I had a problem with them sounding pretty bright, and then found out that the amp was just tuned that way. I've had no problems on the install with my shop in the slightest, but I don't have too much knowledge on tuning amps and tweaking settings to sounds how it should. I'm worried that if I get the high speed setup and don't know how to properly tune it to get the tweeters toned down, that I'd be wasting my money. If the shop doesn't set the speakers how I like it, what's the learning curve like on tweaking things to my liking?

CIAONZO,

That might actually help trim the cost for me and give me a little more breathing room for a custom sub setup in the back. Will PM you.
    Sure, when it comes to setups, it's usually not what can be done, only how you want. I am not too sure on deadening for the doors. If it comes with something factory, I can almost guarantee it's not gonna be of high quality. If you only want to go with a front stage it's up to you. Look at all options, like whether you will have passengers in the back, a dvd player that might need them, or kids that might want to hear something besides what you are listening to. My HU has 2 zones, I can listen to metallica in the front and my son can listen to "Wheels on the Bus" in the back. It's an option that's up to you.

Make sure you research your local shop. I would start here and do a search and maybe you can get a better idea on whether it's gonna cost an arm and a leg, or whether they are more willing to work with you. I think Mast240 has a shop in Tampa, and he is on here all the time. I would trust him to do you correct. Other than that, just be informed before you head into the shop, this will better protect you later!

Alpine 9833
    Boston Accoustics Front & Rear
    Cadence United Series Vegas 4 Channel
    Cadence S2W12-D2
    Cadence United Series Dakota Mono Amp
    Duralast 1,000 amp battery, X-Static 2,000 Amp Battery
    Rockford Foagate 1/0 wire, and interconnects
    Cadence shielded RCA wire
    Dynamat sound deadening, Fatmat sound deadening

12. Thanks sussD01 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

simply put, when you have them install the tweeters, see if you can sit in the car and have them aim the tweeters in different directions and see which sounds best. Its different for every car and every listener. Explain your concerns to the installer as well. The last shop I went to that sold Focal was actually pretty decent and knew a good bit about install making or breaking your sound.

As far as deadener goes, typically the main thing you'll need to do is seal up those holes in the door panel to control the backwave, eliminate cancellation, and get stronger midbass with cleaner midrange.

14. Thanks sussD01 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice, brother--I'll definitely make sure they get the deadener in the doors. I'll drop in again soon and with whatever else I come up with as far as the speakers go.

I appreciate all the help and advice.

whitedragon551 is offline Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Another thing you can do is switch the polarity on the tweeters as well. That will help tame them in some instances.

CA.com FAQ's
    CA.com TOS Agreement
    Forum Rules

HU: ///Alpine 9887, KCE-400BT, KCE-433IV, KTX-100EQ Imprint, 8Gb iPod Touch
    Front Mids: Eclipse SC6500
    Front Tweeters: Morel made Xtant 28MM Silks
    Subs: Audiomobile Evo 10" TC2+
    Enclosure: 1.1 Cubes sealed with 10 Ounces Poly Fill
    Amp: Audio Systems Twister F6 380 III

17. Thanks sussD01 thanked for this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, so I've come to a change of direction in the past couple days. I realized that I'd rather spend a little more on the subs/custom enclosure and not as much as I originally planned on the components ($1200).

I started looking at Hertz and some other brands as well. Any comps in particular that you guys have a preference for in the $500-$600 range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Boston SPZ60 gets my vote
    Also the Hertz Mille (not sure on their price though)
    Hybrid Audio and Morel.....JL ZR650 all options to look into.

If you're dropping that much coin you're probably gonna wanna listen to some b4 u buy though.
    Sometimes higher line speakers tend to be overpriced and overrated on the forums, sometimes you can get the same performance for cheaper.

TaylorFade is offline I fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)

I can't give you much advice onthe super high end stuff because I just never shop in that range, but if you go coax, look at the Hybrid Imagines. Or just Hybrid in general.

If you go comps, keep in mind that most good crossovers will have tweeter attentuation. Mine, for example have 5 different settings. If level 2 is too bright or harsh, all I have to do is move a jumper to attentuate them. As it was mentioned, tweeter placement and direction will play a huge role in the sound so if at all possible, audition a couple different locations.

Comps vs. coax is an age old debate, but it boils down to getting the best soundstage that you can and coax will limit you there. Tweeters are almost solely responsible for stage height and having them braxially or coaxially mounted limits that. If your tweets are in the doors with the mid, that's where your sound stage is going to be. Low. I also personally feel that a lot of detail gets lost having tweeters off axis. Especially down low where a lot of high frequency information is going to be absorbed by the carpet, your legs, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    TaylorFail
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicide Bobb View Post
    Taylorfail, v.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Imtjnotu View Post
    tailorFail v.3
    Quote Originally Posted by brodeisel View Post
    TaylorFail v.4
    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    TaylorWin v.1?

VWBobby is offline PG and SS nuthugger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I heard the Focal speakers you are talking about and know why you fell in love. They are pure *** to the ears.....

I agree, the Hybrid Imagine or Lagatia series would be good. Hybrid Audio Legatia Series Speaker Systems
    Morel might be something to look into also.
    TC Sounds, Dayton, RE Audio for SQ subs.

'65 VW Bus
    ------
    MA Hippo 122 (awaiting install),(2) Aura Sound 8's, (2) SoundStream 6.5 coax, (2) Alpine Type-S 6x9's [rear fill], MBQ DSC1500.1D, RF 501X

'02 BMW 330xi (AWD coupe)
    ------
    Harman/Kardon 12-speaker System Option + Dayton HO D4 10" and PPI Ion 650.1 in sealed box
    And many more car audio goodies in storage

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the speaker recs guys. I'm by no means saying I need to drop that much cash if there are better or comprable sets out there for the price, I just figured that to get something that sounds high end, I would need to do high end spending. I'll see what I can find around here in those brands that can be auditioned. As far as the coax v component, I'm coming from a car with four memphis m-class coaxials and everyone I speak to tells me for a serious system (especially as this is going to be one that I don't want to upgrade for a few years), that I've got to go with components.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast