Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Good Speakers for 17.5w rms 45w max?

Subcut is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good Speakers for 17.5w rms 45w max?

I want to replace the blown speakers in my truck with all new ones. Since it did not come with a stock stereo there are no specific sized mounts in the car, the doors have holes cut into them that have worked fine with 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 inch speakers. The back just has a set of wires routed back there with electric tape on the ends, so I could add 2 speakers back there of any size. The two front speakers it has are both different, one 5 1/4 and one 6 1/2 both basically just screwed into the door panel. One of the speakers is badly blown and is making my music sound atrocious. I just installed a subwoofer that I am quite happy with, so these speakers do not need to put out hardly any bass at all, I was even considering wiring in bass blockers for the speakers so they wouldn't even try to reproduce bass. Most of the after market speakers I've seen have had quite high rms and max ratings, that I think would hardly be satisfied by my weak per channel output. I just want it to sound decent, not break the bank, and preferrably be quite loud(in the truck)

Will I be better of buying/building a small box to put the back speakers in? I don't plan on buying or installing an amp, I feel like there should be some quite decent offerings for a stock power head unit. In fact the two crappy mismatched speakers in there now get quite loud(enough for me to never max out the volume), but at higher volumes become completely drowned out by the bass.

daboyfrumdabx is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    39 Post(s)

Re: Good Speakers for 17.5w rms 45w max?

You're not going to find much rated at 17watts per, but you'll be fine with speakers rated 40-80watts. Anymore than that and prices will just start getting higher than worth it for what you're trying to do. Just don't be afraid to go with a speaker just because you can hardly feed it. Would amping a speaker to potential be better, of course, but there's plenty of people running aftermarket speakers on deck power without issues.

*Sundown Z15 *SAX-1200D *CDT HD-61A *SAX-100.4 *Pioneer DEH-80PRS *KnuKonceptz *XS Power D3400 *270A Mechman

Sold to: blackbonnie, TheOneJordan, resko1, kr15, Zichardruniga, IBmikexxx, plugitin
    Bought from: Gruszka530, theMessenjah44, ltr450racer690, Dpc69ss, 97maxima(Here and ROE), Pillow(CACO), pro-rabbit, woofercooker, Twisted_0912

Louisiana_CRX is offline dem shoes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    661 Post(s)

factory oem speakers...

Current 2010 Louisiana USACi State Records :

Trunk 0-1000.................. 151.3
    StreetBeat 2................... 145.6
    Stock 1801-up.................153.8
    SuperStock 1801-up..........154.2
    Top three in 11 out of 26 power classes and Louisiana USACi Points Leader at 465

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana_CRX View Post
    factory oem speakers...
    Get the right pair and they will sound decent on such little power.

Subcut is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So the car did not come with factory speakers, where would I find "factory oem speakers"? I have seen some very low RMS speakers available at autozone that didn't even have a brand, is that what you guys are talking about?

Secondly am I going to have better luck finding low rms(or getting a lot of sound out of my low RMS output) speakers if I per-say went for some very small speakers? Does this make much of a difference?

orinlboy is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

You can run comps off the HU just fine. It just won't shine like they would on an amp and you won't be able to crank them crazy loud. Just find something with low wattage requirement (around 60 watts or less) and high sensitivity (over 91db). My Pioneer TS-D1720C comps sound pretty good off my Eclipse head unit (only 13 watts).

Using - Eclipse CD8445, Pioneer Premier TS-D720C comps, 2 10" Arc Audio subs, Rockford Fosgate T500-1
    In storage - PG RSD65cs, 2 8" Elemental Design 9kv, CDT ES-620 comps, 2 10" AA Assassins
    For sale - anything in my storage, just ask.

subdicted is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

if not partsexpress.com has some speakers around that power range...

refs - traded with- slim2fattycakes
    - sold to- HighTQCummins

kevin lu is offline 727south

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Closed Thread

User Tag List