Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help with my sound stage, to rear fill or not to rear fill?

ronjon228 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need help with my sound stage, to rear fill or not to rear fill?

Well I now have an inifinity 6.5" component set in my fronts courtesy of my friends spare set =) However, now that I have these hooked up Im kinda having a dilema. Basically my rear deck 5 1/4" drivers are overpowering my front 6.5" door speakers. The rear speakers are Kenwood 2-ways but Im only using the driver right now. I have my crossover set up with my 4-channel amp so I have 2 channels for high and 2 for mid. The 6.5 and the 5 1/4 are run off the mid channels and the tweets are run off the high channel. Before I hooked up the 5 1/4's in the rear deck I had a nice sound with good channel seperation, but it wasn't quite loud enough on the mids. So... my question is, should I just say screw it on the rear fill? I think the problem with the rears is that they are too close together producing almost a mono tone to my ears. Also, now that I have the rears hooked up I can't get my mid range frequency to sound right. Is there anyway I could put the 5 1/4 in the dash (they will fit right in) or should I just take them out all together. If you can help me out it'd be great.
    Thanks
    Ron Jon

- Source Unit -
    Pentium 4 1.8GHz
    Intel mobo w/integrated video
    512MB DDR
    SB Live powered by Kx w/full DSP control
    180GB HD (1x20GB OS, 1x160GB Media)

- Audio Hardware -
    Front stage: PG RSD 65cs Comps @ 80Hz - 24db slope (HP), drivers in the door, tweets in the sails
    Sub stage: Pioneer 12" 305DVC @ 80Hz - 24db slope (LP), sealed ~ 1.5 cube (net) in the trunk
    Comp amp: PPI Sedona APA630IX
    Sub amp: Alpine MRP-M500

nosaj070 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help with my sound stage, to rear fill or not to rear fill?

I'm sort of confused on what you are doing with the amp. You should have the tweet and the midrange of the component set wired into the infinity crossover. Then run a speaker wire to the amp. You could always adjust the fade on the hu as well if ou ran two rcas.

Alpine CDA-7995, A/D/S 3 Series Comps, ED 8A, SoundStream Reference 604, 98 Civic Sedan
    AIM: nosaj070

ronjon228 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heres my setup

Head Unit (x2 RCA) >======< X-over (x3 RCA) >======< Amp A, Amp B, Amp Sub

I have a 4 channel amp represented as Amp A and Amp B and then a dedicated sub amp represented by Amp Sub. Since my x-over is of the active variety Im running 2 RCA's into it (one being the sub preout and one being the front preout). Then from the x-over I get my high channel, mid channel, and sub channel all via RCA's. Then the channels are fed to the respective amp. I use the 4 channel amps first 2 channels (right 1 and left 1) as Amp A (the high amp) and then the second two channels (right 2 and left 2) as Amp B (the mid amp). The sub amp is self-explanitory. Basically its the same setup as using a passive crossover, Im just doing it before the amp. This way I have a dedicated high channel and a dedicated mid channel for my components. Also, it lets me fine tune my frequencies all in one spot. However, it doesn't allow me to amp my rear deck any less than my fronts. So for that reason, I was thinking why not just run the rear fill from the HU as many people do. I will still have the option to use my fader (as Im using the front preout as well as the non-fading sub preout) I dont know, I think it'll work out nicely, if anyone has any better suggestions let me know.
    Thanx
    Ron Jon

- Source Unit -
    Pentium 4 1.8GHz
    Intel mobo w/integrated video
    512MB DDR
    SB Live powered by Kx w/full DSP control
    180GB HD (1x20GB OS, 1x160GB Media)

- Audio Hardware -
    Front stage: PG RSD 65cs Comps @ 80Hz - 24db slope (HP), drivers in the door, tweets in the sails
    Sub stage: Pioneer 12" 305DVC @ 80Hz - 24db slope (LP), sealed ~ 1.5 cube (net) in the trunk
    Comp amp: PPI Sedona APA630IX
    Sub amp: Alpine MRP-M500

adam71 is offline P9 = Ultimate SQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can try one of two things, start by running those rear speakers in series. This will doulble the resistance and make them quieter. If it still doesn't meet your standards then disconnect them. I never run rears and never miss them either.

Adam

Source Unit: Pioneer P9 combo
    Tweeters: CDT DRT-25 Silk
    Mids: CDT ES-5 (5.25")
    Midbass: CDT M6 (6.5")
    Subs: Pioneer TS-W12PRS
    Mid & Tweet amp: Pioneer PRS-X340
    Midbass Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720
    Sub Amp: Pioneer PRS-X720

outbacksport is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say forget the rear fills. It will just screw up your front stage.

You can also hook it up straight to your HU if you can still fade them.

My rear fills are hooked up to my alpine HU but it's usually turned off.

Closed Thread