OK, I'm looking to upgrade speakers, get rid of the OLD Sony Xplodes and possible factory in-door. (I have Pioneer TS-A698's just sitting in the openings of the rear deck for improvement from the Xplodes that were there.) The biggest aggravation I've had so far in my own research has been a few so-called "reviews" posted up on various places on the net and no reviews at all available for some of these speakers. They weren't reviews, just a regurgitation of the manufacturer's promo & specifications. What a PITA.
First, the specs:
- '02 Kia Spectra Sedan (it gets me around)
- Kenwood KDC-X994 H.U.
- Front doors: 6-3/4", 2.8" deep max?
- Rear Deck: 6"x8", 6" deep max.
- Budget: up to $75/pair MAXimum ($150 total), prefer closer to $50/pr. (or less)
- Rear Deck: I have to stick with 6"x8"s unless I really can get better bass performance using an adapter for round speakers.
- Good bass repro on their own, as I don't wish to add subs and I don't need to shake the car apart.
- Will be driven from the HU, so no separate amps.
- Not interested in components, subs, or amps at this time, especially since I'm not interested in reproducing the experience of concert front row in front of the speakers sound levels.
- Music preferences include: Rock (classic, southern, alternative, etc), Metal (mostly old-school but some modern), and Oldies (wife). Rap/hip-hop maybe on occasion. Loud is good, but not like standing in front of the speakers at a concert.
- According to Crutchfield, the doors have an unusual bolt pattern.
- Also according to Crutchfied, the diameter of the magnet is limited to 2.883" in the rear deck.
I'm not sure I put that much stock in the magnet size thing, and I am willing to make extra holes in the speaker mounting area if need be for the doors . I also admit this is a small budget, but via the Internet it isn't impossible.
- Clarion (Front: SRQ1631R; Back: SRQ6831C)
- Hifonics Zeus series (Front: ZXi-63; Back: ZXi-683)
- Kenwood (Front: KFC-C1739IE or KFC-1682IE; Back: KFC-C6882IE)
- Rockford Fosgate Prime series (Front: R1653; Back: R1682 or T1682C)
- Other options (brand, model) within my budget and preferences that may be a better choice?
EDIT: removed references for 6"x9" speakers (and added one more reference for a 6"x8") as they will not fit without metal-work and made emphasis on some qualifications.