Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Advice on....well, everything ; )

Stormj is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Advice on....well, everything ; )

Hello, first time poster long time reader. I am looking for answers, opinions, and thoughts on what I should do for a speaker install. Back ground, I have a 2000 Ford F250 Supercab. Diesel, so it makes a lot of noise. It is a work truck, as much as I would love to do something like the beautiful photos I see you all post, my truck get muddy and wet from the floor six inches up. I have a Jensen VM9413 head unit installed and factory speakers. Supposedly it puts out 13w rms, 40 peak. I would like to upgrade the speakers, I listen to a lot of classical, blues, jazz. I was looking at the Infinity Reference 6820cs componet system because from what I read componets have a much better sound. I am assuming though that the head unit will not run componets? I am looking for ideas on where to stash a suitable amp. Look forward to everyones replies and suggestions.

Thank you,

Storm Johnson
    Last edited by Stormj; 06-29-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling errors

misfit138 is offline a whole new type of aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Re: Advice on....well, everything ; )

Yeah, you could get yourself a nice pair of components and a small 2 channel amp. As far as where to put the amp, that really doesn't matter. Just about any dry place will do.

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

I think the Infinity Reference is a decent choice, I like them much more than the Kappa line (despite being more money).
    Like these:
    Infinity Reference 6830cs 6"x8"/5"x7" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

You'll certainly be happier with them on a small amp. Mounting on the back wall may be an option if you cant locate it in a dry place under the rear seat.
    Infinity Reference 475a 4-channel car amplifier 75 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

A 4-channel amp is more flexible - you may want fronts and rears, you may want fronts and a small sub.

If you take some pics of the inside storage areas you are willing to consider, we can comment on them. But you'll need to take the amp choice into consideration.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

michaellane is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

i really liked the infinity kappa perfects i heard...i think youd like them...it would be a huge change from your stocks speakers. also a nice 2ch amp would be great! like 100x2 @ 4ohms would be ideal

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/414807-michaellane-feedback-if-i-bought-you-traded-i-sold-you-something.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like your idea of placing the amp on the back wall Rich. The back seat is usually in the raised position for storage of work related materials. On an extended cab pick up the back of the rear seat mounts directly to the rear wall, so there would not be a lot of air flow, would this be okay? I am looking at replacing both the fronts and rears, would a 4 channel be best or two 2 channels? Do I run, audio out, wiring from the amp back to the head unit area to tap into factory wiring or is it best to run new wires from the amp to the new speakers? Suggestions on amps?

Thank you all again,

Storm J
    Last edited by Stormj; 06-29-2010 at 12:35 PM.

hispls is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)

I very much like infinity components for low power applications and their amps/speakers can be had for short money from the JBL/Infinity/harmon ebay store as refurbs.

That Jensen HU is pretty nice, I used one for a while and although I never use the speaker-level outputs I really like the screen resolution, features, and the fact that it does 5.1 surround (something to work on LOL). I don't think ANY head unit does more than 13-15W output continuous to speaker channels regardless of what they claim. An amp will be a HUGE upgrade once you install some proper speakers.

I'd DEFINITELY look into a 4 channel or two small 2 channels. Those Jensen head units will down-mix the center channel (make sure you set it up with the center and sub off or your movies will sound like ***). Surround effects in movies are totally worth separate channels for the front and rears!

If you want specific amp suggestions you should come up with precise size limitations and a budget you'll get plenty of help here.

You can run a single umbilical from the HU to the amps containing all 4 speaker outs, your RCA cables, and remote turn-on then simply connect the speaker outs from the amp up behind the dash. Ideally you could run new wire from amps to speakers but often it's more pain in the arse than it's worth, particularly if you're just dropping simple components into factory locations. The factory wire is usually pretty shabby, but for low power and short runs you'd likely not notice the difference.

Be sure to tape up the speaker outs from the HU after you disconnect them since a short would probably smoke your HU

mclerico83 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Hispls, love the sheep pic I lmao. As for amp size, if I mount it behind the rear seat back cushion, I see no restrictions other than about a 4" depth limit. Length and width are no problems there is a lot of area back there. Price....I gueess I would like to keep it to $400 for amp(s) if possible but I am a bit flexible if those in the know suggest better. I guess a good gudieline would be the speakers, they are a costing me $109 per pair, what would be a comparable value. I dont want to ruin anythign by putting in crap but I do not need to over power them I would think. I do not think I need a sub for my listening style, I assume the speakers can handle it. Not my area of expertise so I default to my betters.

We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love, power, freedom, & fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

do you plan on running a sub????

http://www.crescendoaudio.com/produc...0&bestseller=Y

one of the best deals of a 4 channel on the market could run fronts on channel 1 and 2 then bridge channel 3 and 4 and run a

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Phoenix-Gold...0#ht_815wt_911

http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-Quart-RSH-252...ht_2012wt_1137

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/s...7B47%7DS4.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No mclerco83, I was not intedning on bass. I was thinking with the style of music I listen to in the vehicle that a sub would probably be over kill.

stanky1219 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

a sub is never overkill. you dont have to rattle your glass with a sub. just use it to take the strain off your small speakers so they can play louder and much cleaner.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Okay Stank, thank you

DerekSmith07 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stanky1219 View Post
    a sub is never overkill. you dont have to rattle your glass with a sub. just use it to take the strain off your small speakers so they can play louder and much cleaner.
    yea speakers can onl play so low usually dont want to go under 80hz and the sub will make a hug difference as a total listening experience the subs i mentioned do not get loud or something like a boston g3

stanky1219 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea, my brother just ordered 2 of the dcon's for his pickup. i can't wait to hear them

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast