Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Powering Hertz coms?

geonfreaq is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Powering Hertz coms?

I have a set of hi energy and have a quick question.

With the amps I already have I can send 100w, 200w or 400w to each. Now im thinking the Kenwood KAC 818 I have would work great since its 200w per chan.

No idea if sending 400w to em would be a bad idea or not haha. I see no reason to send them more unless its going to help the sound and they can take it no problem.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab
    -Kenwood DNX 6180
    -PowerBass ASA 400.2
    -Hertz 165
    -Memphis PR1X1000
    -2x SA-8D4 - 1.5^3ft @ 32hz
    SOLD TO: Louisiana_CRX
    BOUGHT FROM: dreid, Frisnog, SPL KID, fasfocus00, galacticmonkey

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Powering Hertz coms?

Personally I would try 100w first and see if you want more.If you want more then up to 200w. 400w would probably bring death quickly lol

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

haha Thats what I figured. Ive never ran comps before so we shall see.

-Kenwood DNX 6180
    -PowerBass ASA 400.2
    -Hertz 165
    -Memphis PR1X1000

genxx is offline Team JL Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have ran 100w per side for about 2 years now and that has been plenty of power. They are pretty darn efficient.

2009 USACi Basic Consumer World Champion, '09 IASCA INAC 2nd Place, 2010 MECA Finals MODEX 4th, '10 OK MODEX State Champion--Addicted to Sound Quality
    '06 F250: JL-Zapco-Pioneer
    '08 Focus-Kenwood-Zapco-ID-Hertz
    Team JL Audio, Team RAAMmat, Team Advantage Audio, Team MSE, Team Zapco

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea looking through the owners man I see where the RMS is 125w. 100 should be plenty.

-Kenwood DNX 6180
    -PowerBass ASA 400.2
    -Hertz 165
    -Memphis PR1X1000

dennis09x is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

rms for mlk 165 is 150 watts... i been putting 300 to them... not good... blew two tweets and one woofer... don't double unless your dumb like me....

Deka 9a31, 9a34, kinetik 2400, 1 run of 4/0 + 3/0 spread among the car, Alpine cda-9886, PG Basscube, mlk 165 woofers, ml280sigs, hertz hi-energy coax's for rearfill, DD 9512z, stetsom 2k6d, Lrx 2.4, pdx 4.150---------------------------BAAM!
    Bought from: Tristan20, datboiroi, davesexplorer, IamMurph, denali804, FOXRACER47101, Loudman,
    Traded: 528 hz (don't hesistate to ask, the man's the man!)

keep_hope_alive is online now Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

be more concerned with THD at the desired power output. Just because you have a 300Wx2 amplifier does not mean the speakers will ever actually see 300W.

What is important is having more power than you need or will ever use - so that you operate with much lower amplifier distortion. Amplifiers make the most distortion at their rated power.

Actual power output depends on the program material content at that instant, the gain setting, and the volume knob.

The choice all depends on the amplifier. I'll take 50W of Zapco power over 200W of Kenwood power.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

emilimo701 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    be more concerned with THD at the desired power output. Just because you have a 300Wx2 amplifier does not mean the speakers will ever actually see 300W.

What is important is having more power than you need or will ever use - so that you operate with much lower amplifier distortion. Amplifiers make the most distortion at their rated power.

Actual power output depends on the program material content at that instant, the gain setting, and the volume knob.

The choice all depends on the amplifier. I'll take 50W of Zapco power over 200W of Kenwood power.
    question, if you don't mind

I have an infinity 475a 4-channel bridged for my fronts because 75watts didn't seem to be enough... my gains were up (almost) all the way. Now getting "180watts RMS" per channel bridged, it is louder, but again i have the gains up almost all the way. The speakers are only rated at 100w and they take it fine (i don't turn my head unit up more than half way because it starts to distort at about 60%). Would you recommend that i get an amp powerful enough so that i'm satisfied with the output only turning the gains up halfway? Looks like i'm looking at about 250w RMS per channel? Only problem is there aren't that many drivers that seem to be meant to handle more than 100 continuous watts....i guess that's why you see setups with multiple components in each door....

anyway, on topic. one of the dealers near me carries Hertz. However, I'm afraid to even ask the prices. Geon: did you get yours online, and for how much? impressions?

90accordman is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

get a better amp.

im running a lrx 2.9 on my hsk165xl's not a single problem at all, just be smart about setup

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278847-90accordman-feedback.html

Bumpin' Goalie is offline Magic 8 Ball

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emilimo701 View Post
    question, if you don't mind

I have an infinity 475a 4-channel bridged for my fronts because 75watts didn't seem to be enough... my gains were up (almost) all the way. Now getting "180watts RMS" per channel bridged, it is louder, but again i have the gains up almost all the way. The speakers are only rated at 100w and they take it fine (i don't turn my head unit up more than half way because it starts to distort at about 60%). Would you recommend that i get an amp powerful enough so that i'm satisfied with the output only turning the gains up halfway? Looks like i'm looking at about 250w RMS per channel? Only problem is there aren't that many drivers that seem to be meant to handle more than 100 continuous watts....i guess that's why you see setups with multiple components in each door....

anyway, on topic. one of the dealers near me carries Hertz. However, I'm afraid to even ask the prices. Geon: did you get yours online, and for how much? impressions?
    Volume knobs are not volume knobs. With it up almost all the way, you are possibly hearing the tell-tale sounds of clipping. Usually most components have a thermal failure before a mechanical failure if given clean power. Thus they can sound better and better until they die.

In your case, the distortion seems to coming from the amp itself making me think that it/it's settings are the issue.

System Layout help available via PM.

My system:
    Sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpin' Goalie View Post
    Volume knobs are not volume knobs. With it up almost all the way, you are possibly hearing the tell-tale sounds of clipping. Usually most components have a thermal failure before a mechanical failure if given clean power. Thus they can sound better and better until they die.

In your case, the distortion seems to coming from the amp itself making me think that it/it's settings are the issue.
    There isn't really much distortion (that I can detect, at least) with the amp's gain at about 85% and never turning my HU volume past 50%. The problem is, before I had them bridged (75w vs 180w) I would either be turning my HU past 50% or amp past 85, and the fidelity of the sound was clearly compromised. But even now at "180 watts" I seem to be at the verge of either overdriving my speakers, or driving the amp into clipping, or both. The amp has 1% THD at rated, which from what i've heard is an undesirably high number. Also, the noise floor of the amp is pretty high. With volume on HU all the way down, you can hear fuzz from the speakers, which doesn't go away completely unless you turn the gain down below 40%.

Bumpin' Goalie is offline Magic 8 Ball

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by emilimo701 View Post
    There isn't really much distortion (that I can detect, at least) with the amp's gain at about 85% and never turning my HU volume past 50%. The problem is, before I had them bridged (75w vs 180w) I would either be turning my HU past 50% or amp past 85, and the fidelity of the sound was clearly compromised. But even now at "180 watts" I seem to be at the verge of either overdriving my speakers, or driving the amp into clipping, or both. The amp has 1% THD at rated, which from what i've heard is an undesirably high number. Also, the noise floor of the amp is pretty high. With volume on HU all the way down, you can hear fuzz from the speakers, which doesn't go away completely unless you turn the gain down below 40%.
    Sounds like a compromise is needed. Or another amp. But one is free

System Layout help available via PM.

My system:
    Sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 90accordman View Post
    im running a lrx 2.9 on my hsk165xl's not a single problem at all, just be smart about setup
    the same dealer i previously referred to also carries Audison. what can i expect to pay for those exact two items (HSK Comps and LRx 2.9) b&m?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpin' Goalie View Post
    Sounds like a compromise is needed. Or another amp. But one is free
    yup. which is why i'm leaning toward the compromise

90accordman is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

msrp on 2.9 is 899 hsk are like 550 i think

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278847-90accordman-feedback.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast