Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Hertz HSK 165 XL

deanmpereira is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hertz HSK 165 XL

I have a 2000 Silverado crew cab with a pair of Hertz hsk-165 xls in the front doors ran off a audison 80x2 amp. My front doors are deadened but not as good as they could be.

I love the sound of these speakers but feel as if they don't get quite loud enough for my tastes. My gains are set slightly conservatively and being that the speakers are 125 watts and im only running 80 watts to them from my audison amp. Im wondering if giving them a little more power would fix my problem.

From those of you that have these speakers I was curious as to how you felt on the loudness and what your running to them. on the sound board i felt like they were plenty loud enough but im not positive what he was pushing to them. I am considering purchasing a Sundown 125.2 any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
    -Dean

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hertz HSK 165 XL

No love out here on CA.com?

mcsoul is offline such is life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Assuming it's an Srx2 on conservative gain, I'm going to say a 125.2 may indeed solve your issue.
    You may may want to follow the gain tutorial and set your gain with a meter first. Then if things
    get sloppy/harsh at high volume, cease and desist with the volume, get the 125.2 .

Mid Amp: Audison lrx 4.300 bridged 2x140w @ 8 ohms
    Doors: 24ft Damplifier Pro, Second Skin D-flex pads, eggcrate foam, sealed up.
    Tweeter: SEAS 27TFFNC
    High Amp: Audison Lrx-2.150
    Subs: Two RE SE 12 d4's
    Box: 4 cubes net at 30hz
    Sub Amp: Sound Stream Van Gough 1600.2
    Electrical: Knu Flex 1/0, Batcap 2000 in back
    Rear Deck: No 6x9's just holes and grills

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

more detail on the Audison amp? Model? Head unit? Wiring?

What are your settings at now? How did you determine the gain setting?

Where are the tweeters mounted?

I'd be hard pressed to replace an Audison amp with a Sundown amp. You may gain power but you'll gain distortion at the same time.

My guess is that you aren't coming anywhere near the 80W the amp is rated for. You'd be surprised just how loud 80W RMS into a Hertz speaker (or any speaker) is.

When someone is unhappy with good quality gear - it's usually the installation. Before you spend money replacing parts, try to perfect what you have now.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is the Srx2, my head unit is a kenwood double din, i forget the model number, but its the newest model 7" with navigation.

I dont think its any type of wiring issue. I have 1/0 running from battery to back then to a distribution block with 4/0 going to amp and ground. I then have 12/0 going to the passive crossovers and then to the tweeter/mid's.

The gain is somewhere around 3/4 I turned my head unit volume to 95% then turned the gain until i could hear distortion, then backed it off and now don't play the headunit at more than 90%.

I love these components, but feel as if the mid-bass doesn't come alive until im at about 80% volume, Then when i get to about 90% i still want a little more. I currently have the tweeter at 0 on the passive crossovers. In my head i feel like i would like to be able to get about 20% more power and then put the tweeter on -2db.

I have done some t/a but haven't messed with eq much, its pretty flat

And yes im not really sure i want to ditch the audison amp either. and the only reason Im thinking about the 125.2 is because i have a sax-1000 thats waiting to be put in with a FI q 10, in a T-line enclosure under my rear seat. Maybe I wont be so unhappy with my mid-bass when i get the 10 in? any thoughts?

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

tough call. you still want midbass from your front stage.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

mcsoul is offline such is life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by deanmpereira View Post
    It is the Srx2, my head unit is a kenwood double din, i forget the model number, but its the newest model 7" with navigation.

I dont think its any type of wiring issue. I have 1/0 running from battery to back then to a distribution block with 4/0 going to amp and ground. I then have 12/0 going to the passive crossovers and then to the tweeter/mid's.

The gain is somewhere around 3/4 I turned my head unit volume to 95% then turned the gain until i could hear distortion, then backed it off and now don't play the headunit at more than 90%.

I love these components, but feel as if the mid-bass doesn't come alive until im at about 80% volume, Then when i get to about 90% i still want a little more. I currently have the tweeter at 0 on the passive crossovers. In my head i feel like i would like to be able to get about 20% more power and then put the tweeter on -2db.

I have done some t/a but haven't messed with eq much, its pretty flat

And yes im not really sure i want to ditch the audison amp either. and the only reason Im thinking about the 125.2 is because i have a sax-1000 thats waiting to be put in with a FI q 10, in a T-line enclosure under my rear seat. Maybe I wont be so unhappy with my mid-bass when i get the 10 in? any thoughts?
    Sounds like you may just need some good EQ work to suite your ear.

Mid Amp: Audison lrx 4.300 bridged 2x140w @ 8 ohms
    Doors: 24ft Damplifier Pro, Second Skin D-flex pads, eggcrate foam, sealed up.
    Tweeter: SEAS 27TFFNC
    High Amp: Audison Lrx-2.150
    Subs: Two RE SE 12 d4's
    Box: 4 cubes net at 30hz
    Sub Amp: Sound Stream Van Gough 1600.2
    Electrical: Knu Flex 1/0, Batcap 2000 in back
    Rear Deck: No 6x9's just holes and grills

twistedchild420 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

OP your doing it wrong

ascitiesburn69 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This^
    But really OP....
    Your not running anywhere near the required power to those speakers. Rated for 150rms however they will take 350-400 easily per side. Sound great and get loud as well. Yes I have owned them before anyone asks......I was recommended to buy a Arc Audio 300.4 and bridge it to power the speakers.

HU: Alpine 9887
    Subs: 4x SA10s
    Amp:Audioque 3500.1 at .5

Closed Thread