Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: break in smell?

nateberrier is offline ******

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

break in smell?

My buddy has a couple of 600 rms rated 12s they are memphis PRs. His amp can only push about 400 to each but they smell like burnt voice coil. is that normal? Ive never had the issue

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

http://www.execution-audio.com/

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Re: break in smell?

tt

Refs: mrmakinmoves[SCAMMER] AKA ICHASEPAPER2010, skydeaner, fukinmovin, mossberg385t, grimreper912003, LBC99, Dbeez, Michaellane, thegreatestpenn, truckstoy, ge_off_me, btr, cupid6969, johnprdeye, jh8909, tylerj, UMWDawg92, nu2spl, zerosktr111, SPLAUDIO, $LICK CALIFA$, jfroghobo

bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

How did he set the gain?

outsideshot23 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

most new subs have a smell wheny ouy egt them warm.. not burnt but.. hard to explain

First hair trick... more to come -----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfADio5CjQ

158.1@44hz usaci
    155.5 @44hz Usaci Streatbeat
    154.7@44hz MECA
    130.4@44hz MECA Driveby

Team XS power
    Team SecondSkin

The HACKER is offline custom chaos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could be clipping you think bubba??

powerplant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos1187 View Post
    Could be clipping you think bubba??
    That's what I would guess but if he's sending a clipped signal the distortion would make it sound like ****...but then again, maybe he can't tell the difference?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I set them, gains down, no clipping and under the max rms, its a ported box, they arent bottoming out or anything else. Sounds pretty **** good actually but its that smell similar to burnt coils but not quite the same i dont think. just rather be safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nateberrier View Post
    I set them, gains down, no clipping and under the max rms, its a ported box, they arent bottoming out or anything else. Sounds pretty **** good actually but its that smell similar to burnt coils but not quite the same i dont think. just rather be safe than sorry.
    What do you mean gains down? You can't just set the gain wherever you feel like...that's not how it works

mossberg385t is offline Love Train

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagumper6 View Post
    What do you mean gains down? You can't just set the gain wherever you feel like...that's not how it works
    I think he means the gains arent maxed

Quote Originally Posted by CarAudio.com Admin View Post
    Please send your tithes of 10% to my paypal. Thou shall worship thy goob.
    IA 40.1, Nakamichi PA350, Arc audio 6.5s 2 way active (1986 Alphasonik x-over) Audio Control three.1, Kenwood KDC-X592, TREO SSX based 18: 8 layer flat wound copper coil w/ dual SS former, 3 medium nomex spiders built by SPLaudio and repaired by myself and Harshaw for optimal sexiness and performance.
    team Dbeez MECA as3 db3

☞2218☜ βθπ βν

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

hu puts out 6.5v and its set to 4v which is the lowest, bass boost is off too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    I think he means the gains arent maxed
    Well there's still a lot of play between the gain being set at 0 and it being maxed. It doesn't have to be maxed out to clip.

Quote Originally Posted by nateberrier View Post
    hu puts out 6.5v and its set to 4v which is the lowest, bass boost is off too
    The gain is set at 4v? And that is at the very minimum, as in the gain is set to 0?

The HACKER is offline custom chaos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Do you know how to wire the subs to the right ohm for the amp?? If so prove it...just to make sure we arent wasting out time =)

powerplant

teen is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

theres a difference btwn the glue smell at break in and burnt coils... experience is the only thing thats gunna help you tell the difference lol.

id say if you dont hear any distortion, play them at a good volume so they're bumpin and start backing off the gain from there. you probably wont hear much of a difference as you start slowly turning the gain down, but it might be just a tad bit to high...

also, why not just set the HU to 6.5v and back the gain down on the amp more? im guessing mids/ highs are running off the HU?

refs
    sold to: nutnbutcustm, Leon, bhsdriller, know_fun, zade08
    bought from: loudman, psych0ticnemes1(box plans)x2, sundownz, mazzasec, lilmaniac2, flipx99, chrisw91, bhsdriller, millertime1028, woofercooker, anj46907
    traded with: audiobahnuser18

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Subs are SVC 4ohm 600RMS Amp is 2ch 800rms @ 4ohms bridged subs subs were bridged on the amp with the gain set to 0 and the bass boost on maybe 1-2db

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teen View Post
    theres a difference btwn the glue smell at break in and burnt coils... experience is the only thing thats gunna help you tell the difference lol.

id say if you dont hear any distortion, play them at a good volume so they're bumpin and start backing off the gain from there. you probably wont hear much of a difference as you start slowly turning the gain down, but it might be just a tad bit to high...

also, why not just set the HU to 6.5v and back the gain down on the amp more? im guessing mids/ highs are running off the HU?
    yes mids and highs on the hu but everythin on the amp is turned to off. the HU drives the amp pretty loud

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast