Closed Thread

Reload Thread: It's time......

efm80 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's time......

whats up everyone, been awhile since I've been on here. I'm finally ready to buy some amazing front 6 1/2 components to go along with my 2 12" W7 I've had Infinity Perfects for the last few years and they are just getting more harsh everyday. I have a JL Audio HD 600/4 that will be powering them so it will be 150watts to each side. Now I know this question has been asked a million times, but what do you guys think I should get?? I listen to mostly Trance and House music. I want some kick *** midbass, beautiful midrange, and much more smooth tweeters. The infinity's are so harsh and the louder you turn it the more it hurts your ears. I want to be able to turn it up as much as I want without feeling pain in my ears! My budget is $1000 so I know I can get a great set. My only real candidate right now that I want is the Focal 165KR2 2-way. They sell them at my installers shop and I can get them for a little under $800. I have always heard great things about Focal and my installer swears by them. What you guys think?? any other reccomendations? There are very few stereo shops they have HIGH end speakers on display to hear. Mostly just the cheap $100-200 pair on display please help...Thanks!

efm80

Ride- 2008 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    Source- Eclipse AVN 6620
    Front Stage- Infinity Perfect 6 1/2 Components
    Rear Stage-Infinity Kappa 6 1/2 3-way Coaxials
    Front/Rear Amp- JL HD 600/4
    SUB Stage- 2 JL 12W7
    Encolure- 2 cu. net each both tuned at 31hz
    SUB amps- 2 JL HD750/1
    Dynamat Extreme everywhere
    Electrical- Kinetik 1800 in front along with BIG 3
    .....I guess you could say I'm happy

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: It's time......

HAT Legatias...bi-amped.

Or just Scan-Speaks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by efm80 View Post
    whats up everyone, been awhile since I've been on here. I'm finally ready to buy some amazing front 6 1/2 components to go along with my 2 12" W7 I've had Infinity Perfects for the last few years and they are just getting more harsh everyday. I have a JL Audio HD 600/4 that will be powering them so it will be 150watts to each side. Now I know this question has been asked a million times, but what do you guys think I should get?? I listen to mostly Trance and House music. I want some kick *** midbass, beautiful midrange, and much more smooth tweeters. The infinity's are so harsh and the louder you turn it the more it hurts your ears. I want to be able to turn it up as much as I want without feeling pain in my ears! My budget is $1000 so I know I can get a great set. My only real candidate right now that I want is the Focal 165KR2 2-way. They sell them at my installers shop and I can get them for a little under $800. I have always heard great things about Focal and my installer swears by them. What you guys think?? any other reccomendations? There are very few stereo shops they have HIGH end speakers on display to hear. Mostly just the cheap $100-200 pair on display please help...Thanks!

efm80
    Just curious, are you using the -3db option on the Perfects? Could help a lot with the harshness. I've heard this criticism of the Kappas quite a bit, but not so much on the Perfect's since they have the silk dome tweeter.

As far as a replacement is concerned, I don't think I've ever been so impressed by a set of components as I was when I listened to the very Focals you're talking about two days ago. I listen to a lot of Trance as well, and when I played some Tiesto on them I was simply floored. It's hard to cough up that much money for anything, but if you've got it and you're willing to spend it on speakers I'd say there's almost no better way. Perhaps someone has heard something better, and if they have I'd love to hear them as well. Those Focal's were incredible. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL sound.

2005 Jaguar X-Type 3.0
    HU: Eclipse CD5000
    Front: Diamond Audio D661 6.5"
    Rear: Memphis 15-PR620V2 6.5"
    Subs: (2) Dayton RSS210HF-4 8"
    4-CH: Rockford Fosgate P450.4
    Mono: Eclipse XA1000
    1973 Chevrolet Nova

Bought from: djeazie, Davie06tc, Andrew_as, bjayjr5679

efm80 is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by QuikSilverRS91 View Post
    Just curious, are you using the -3db option on the Perfects? Could help a lot with the harshness. I've heard this criticism of the Kappas quite a bit, but not so much on the Perfect's since they have the silk dome tweeter.

As far as a replacement is concerned, I don't think I've ever been so impressed by a set of components as I was when I listened to the very Focals you're talking about two days ago. I listen to a lot of Trance as well, and when I played some Tiesto on them I was simply floored. It's hard to cough up that much money for anything, but if you've got it and you're willing to spend it on speakers I'd say there's almost no better way. Perhaps someone has heard something better, and if they have I'd love to hear them as well. Those Focal's were incredible. Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL sound.
    I am using the -3db option, but still kinda harsh. And to be honest I think its the midrange that is super harsh, cause when I cut out the 2-4k frequency on my EQ it does help alot. Also these speakers are going on their 7th year (had them in an older setup of mine too) so I think they are finally just wearing out. Glad to hear some good feedback on those Focals. Almost 90% sure I am going with those. I can't wait. My other question was in reading alot of posts I see many members state that the install is truly the important aspect....My question is how so??? Like you mean deadening the doors? (which mine are) What else do you mean is important in the "INSTALL"? Thanks

efm80

Ride- 2008 Honda Accord EX Sedan
    Source- Eclipse AVN 6620
    Front Stage- Infinity Perfect 6 1/2 Components
    Rear Stage-Infinity Kappa 6 1/2 3-way Coaxials
    Front/Rear Amp- JL HD 600/4
    SUB Stage- 2 JL 12W7
    Encolure- 2 cu. net each both tuned at 31hz
    SUB amps- 2 JL HD750/1
    Dynamat Extreme everywhere
    Electrical- Kinetik 1800 in front along with BIG 3
    .....I guess you could say I'm happy

Jeremy M is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

part of a good install is deadening your doors, also trying to seal up your doors as much as possible, and then making sure your speakers is attached to a solid baffle. once you've done those 3 things then u can start to think about imaging etc etc.

What headunit are u running?

06' Acura MDX
    Pioneer F90bt
    JL Audio XR 653csi
    Alpine PDX 150.2
    JL Audio 13TW5
    Alpine PDX 1000.1
    ------------------
    2010 Mazdaspeed3
    Alpine CDA-9887 (w/ imprint)
    2 sets of ID OEM 6.5
    2 sets of ID XS-28
    PG Xenon x200.4
    1 Atomic 5000.1
    2 RD Alpha D2 15's
    Tons of deadner and wire!

kevin lu is offline 727south

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I paid $690 for a set of Focal KRX2 2 months ago, they sound so good with Techno music (Trance and Break Beat) and Rock loud and clear with no distortion, they sound a lot better than the old K2P and Polk SR.
    On the crossover of this set give you a lot of options to tune, 12db slope or 18db slope, full mid range or flat, 0 to -6 on tweeter.
    I set mine at 12db slope, flat mid range, -3 on tweeter.

Closed Thread