Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Not enough power?

soxfan14sk8 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Not enough power?

I'm all new to this car audio stuff so I'm a little lost. I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and i bought new speakers for my front and rear doors. my fronts are 6x9 Boss speakers and my rears are 6.5 Boss speakers. I wanted it to be louder and not to sound like crap when i turn up the bass and treble. It now sounds good except it's the same volume limit as the stock speakers. The rear ones are 400w a piece and the fronts are 350w a piece. Shouldn't the volume be able to go a lot louder than my stock ones? is this because I have a stock head unit? Should i get an amp?
    Thanx.

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Re: Not enough power?

Yes the power rating on a speaker is to tell you how much power it can handle. However a speaker that can handle 200 watts won't be any louder than a speaker that can handle 15 if you only give them 5 watts.. A stock hu only puts out 15 watts of power or so, until you give the speakers more power than you were giving your stock ones, you won't see a volume increase.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

jdawg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

did this have infinity? If so you went from 2ohm speakers to 4 ohms so you are giving them half as much power as the stock speakers. Best be would be to get an amp if you have like some factory nav system, if not get a new deck and wire straight to the speakers bypassing the stock amp

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

HemiCoupe is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Might want to get better speakers while you're at it.

Closed Thread