Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG need some help

Terranova is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG need some help

I finallly got around to putting my rainbows in and they sound AWESOME but I'm having a problem with the right tweeter. When at high volume the right tweeter occasionally will cut out and I have to turn it down then turn it back up. What's weird is it doesn't do that with the left side tweeter only the right. Is there a setting I have to change on the crossover or is the tweeter faulty. I need to get a scope to check for clipping. Anyone know where you can rent one? I know they are expensive.

1998 Dodge RAM 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8 Quad-Cab
    4.11 gears, 14x3 K&N Air Filter, Pacesetter Shorty Headers, MSD 8.5 super conductor wires, E3 Plugs, SCT Tuner
    Sub: Fi BTL 12" Fully Loaded!
    Sub Box: Ported 3.0cu @ 33hz
    Sub Amp: Clarion DPX 11551 1600RMS @ 2ohms
    Components: Arc 6000's
    Components Amp: Arc KS 300.2 180rms x2 @ 4 ohms
    Head Unit: Alpine iDA-X305
    Apple iPhone 3GS 16gig

kevin lu is offline 727south

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG need some help

i have the same problem with my Polk SR, i think the crossover problem you can take the crossover from the left and put them to the right, if they sound ok then the crossover goes bad but if they still doing it then the tweeter is bad, got it? that's how i test mine

kevin lu is offline 727south

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i have the same problem with my Polk SR, i think the crossover problem you can take the crossover from the left and put them to the right, if they sound ok then the crossover goes bad but if they still doing it then the tweeter is bad, got it? that's how i test mine

Hoodlum007 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The tweeter may be going into protect mode, you may have a faulty ch on your amp as well. swap x overs and see what happens.

Terranova is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum007 View Post
    The tweeter may be going into protect mode, you may have a faulty ch on your amp as well. swap x overs and see what happens.
    That's where it's weird. I had no problems at all with my Phoenix gold rsd mids and the alpine type x tweeters and crossovers. Only having problems with the rainbows. What is the max safe wattage I can send to these? I was giving my Phoenix golds 150rms my HPF is at 160 through the deck. Are the rainbows capable of taking 150rms?

1998 Dodge RAM 1500 Laramie SLT 5.9L V8 Quad-Cab
    4.11 gears, 14x3 K&N Air Filter, Pacesetter Shorty Headers, MSD 8.5 super conductor wires, E3 Plugs, SCT Tuner
    Sub: Fi BTL 12" Fully Loaded!
    Sub Box: Ported 3.0cu @ 33hz
    Sub Amp: Clarion DPX 11551 1600RMS @ 2ohms
    Components: Arc 6000's
    Components Amp: Arc KS 300.2 180rms x2 @ 4 ohms
    Head Unit: Alpine iDA-X305
    Apple iPhone 3GS 16gig

nismos14 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The rainbows have a protection circuit more than likely much different than the other comps you ran, you can bypass the bulbs in the SLC crossovers with jumper wires and they shouldn't cut out anymore.

Car audio IS an addiction.
    C.A.A.A Member #1
    (Car Audio Addicts Anonymous)
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

If you're causing the bulbs to activate and protect the tweeter, you certainly don't want to remove/bypass them. The result will be the death of your tweeters.

Find out if you're clipping them or just over-powering them and rectify the problem.

Here's a quick read on your topic.

The Why and How of Tweeter Protection

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

The SLC's tweeter protection tends to come on a bit early from what I'm seeing/hearing from all the sets I've installed/sold so... bypassing the bulb is stated in the manual as well.

C.A.A.A Member #1
    Refs http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/278560-nismos14-feedback-refs-thread.html

9. Thanks ciaonzo thanked for this post
    ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nismos14 View Post
    The SLC's tweeter protection tends to come on a bit early from what I'm seeing/hearing from all the sets I've installed/sold so... bypassing the bulb is stated in the manual as well.
    Interesting. Do they still warranty the drivers if you bypass the bulb and have a coil failure?

Welcome back, BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Not too sure, but that's not something I've heard of them asking about if a warranty replacement is required.

Thanks, I won't be on here much, that whole fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth.

C.A.A.A Member #1

Closed Thread