Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help deciding on new tweeters

PhatalOne is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Need help deciding on new tweeters

Well unfortunately one of my Boston Accoustics RC820 tweeters bit the dust today. I think either the passive crossover allowed too many lower frequencies to reach the tweeter or it blew. The RC820 was rated max 275w RMS and I was only running them at about 112.5w RMS.

In any event I need to get new tweeters and I was looking at the Kicker Resolution R25's since they can handle 150w RMS. Anyone have any experience with these? I had also heard about the CDT's and was thinking about getting new components with them except that they don't come in either 5"x7" or 6"x8" and I don't feel like cutting sheet metal. How high are the CDT tweeters rated because I could never find specs on them which kind of turned me off even though everyone says they are great. SQ is very important for me but I also don't want to go through tweeters every time I decide to turn the music up. What would you guys recommend?

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help deciding on new tweeters

Poly, textile, metal dome ? Cone ?

Vifa, Davis, Focal, Scan Speak, Morel, Peerless, Tang Band possibly.

Quite a bit of power to run to tweeters. I'd also listen to the Kickers if possible before purchasing. Actually, I suggest listening to as many tweeters as possible before you buy to see what you like and what you don't like.

http://cdtaudio.com/cdt10lp.htm e-mail CDT and they'll tell you how much power the tweeters can handle if you haven't already talked to them.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Diplexers is offline Logarithmic Robot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like the R25's. I've been running the Kicker ND25's for a few years and love them. The R25 is just a newer version. Retail is about $200.00, but you can get them off Ebay for $99.00.(silk dome)

Eclipse CD5000
    PPI... DEQ-230
    PPI... PC450 4 channel
    Eclipse 3640 4 channel
    FI 12"BTL
    Eclipse DA7232 (2000 watts RMS)<------
    Kicker ND 25 Tweets
    Kicker RS6 6.5" comps
    Kicker R5c 5.25" midrange

PhatalOne is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I know its a high power spec for tweeters but I'm still I little confused as to why my Boston's blew when the component set was getting well under its recommended max wattage so I just want to make sure that I'm not going to have anymore problems.

Preferably I'd like to stick to a soft domed tweeter since my Boston was a Kortec domed tweeter and they sounded very nice. Although I'm intrigued by the Titanium or Aluminum domed tweeters, I hear they are pretty harsh sounding in comparison to the Kortec and Silk domed tweeters.

Unfortunately where I live we don't have that many stereo shops unless you count Best Buy's or Circuit City's. So its kinda hard for me to go test out new high end tweeters.

I'll drop CDT a line and see what their tweeters will take but I'm not expecting too much in comparison with the rest of their product line up RMS wise.

Unless I hear otherwise I'll probably get the Kicker R25's because having my sound stage set mainly to the rear of the car sounds like s*** since I don't have an amp on the rear channels yet.
    Last edited by PhatalOne; 12-28-2003 at 08:53 PM.

dflock is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CDT EuroSport tweeters should handle 150 watts RMS... I have them now, well for the past few days, and they get about 120 RMS no problem.

They sound excellent as well, best highs I have ever heard, but I don't have all that many to compare too. But just wanted to throw in my two cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

are the infinity 10.5t cmmd tweeters good ?? i ought some new for $60 usd. but i havn't used them yet,

ss3079 is offline Eh Dere Hi Dere Ho-ser

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valant_94gt
    are the infinity 10.5t cmmd tweeters good ??
    Your ears will tell you once you hear them.

- Steve

2007 Chrysler 300C

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
    Optima, Volant, Bully Dog, Corsa, Gibson, Powermaster, California Super Trucks, Fox Racing, Airaid
    Alpine 7998, Alpine HDA-5460, Arc Audio MEQ-30, (2) Adire Audio Shiva, Image Dynamics CD-2COMP, Image Dynamics CX64, (2) Image Dynamics ID8V.2, Arc Audio 2100CXL, Arc Audio 4150CXL, Arc Audio 1500D-R

2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGTSR
    I dont mean to be rude, but what is the highest level of education that you finished?

Drago is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i happen to like the infinity tweets, but they can only handle 50 watts rms. I got 2 pair in my car and they sound good for the music i listen to, which is club, trance.

Whatever he Hits.....He DESTROYS!!!

Play it Loud and Play it Hard!!!!!

If your brain doesn't rattle....It's NOT LOUD ENOUGH!!!!

Closed Thread