OK, I have spent a significant amount of time looking for speakers for my car. There are actually thousands of us, all with the same problem. Who are we? Vanagon owners...
I should say up front that I am seeking a speaker for the masses, requiring little custom work for a stock location. The Vanagon has a few requirements that are making our search difficult, and I am sure someone here will have some ideas. The requirements are as follows.
* Most Vanagons has manual window rollers that will hit a speaker grill that protrudes too far from the panel surface (stock requires a speaker grill less than say, 5/8"). There is a modification owner can do that will extend perhaps another 1/4" (these are guesses).
* Even if one has automatic windows, the speaker will still hit the side of the dash board when the door closes, if the grill extends say 1" beyond panel surface.
* The stock location houses a 4" speaker, but it looks like a 5-1/4" could fit nicely, although part of it may be covered (see pic below).
* Vanagon "purists" would just be looking to replace that 4", and would probably be happy with another one or two-way 4".
* Others willing to build a decent system are looking for a two way or a component set up. In the bottom of the door is a great place for a 6" with no hindering issues as far as I can see. So, 6", tweeter and 4"-5-1/4" in both front doors. Not too shabby! Now all I need is to find a speaker the is really close to a flush mount, meaning, the grill barely extends off the panel surface. Please help!
Any ideas on tweet location are appreciated as well. FYI, the rear of the car has 2 4" speakers as well (just to give you and idea of what little possibilities there are). For those who don't mind adding subs and cutting lots of hoes, there are of course some decent options for speakers.
I searched this thread here: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/speake...er-advice.html
I found some Phoenix Gold from a few years ago, totally flush and nice but I can not remember the model and have been unable to track them down again. In summary, 4" to 5-1/4", one way as well as tow-way/component, grill extend no farther than maybe 1/2' from the panel surface.
Look at this and you will get my drift. Notice the removed window roller (because it would hit the grill) and how the grill is pressed against the side of the dash! All not good!
Peace and thanks!