Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: ID Ultra Horns + AA Carbon Fiber Mids = good match?

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ID Ultra Horns + AA Carbon Fiber Mids = good match?

Probability asking on the wrong forum, lol but hear goes.....thinking about downgrading to a simple stealth subwoofer setup, but wanted to a nice 2 way up front.

Currently im using a pair of Blaupunkt VC100s and a pair of PG RSD mids in the stock location in my doors, unsealed and undeadend, being pushed by a MB Quart Discus 4125. I like the stealth of the setup, but wish I could get a cleaner sound, (my ID Oem mids sounded much better to me IMO). I though that this might be a good time to reconsider horns again since I have a good HU for tuning if necessary.

I had considered the AAs for an active setup a while back, but it came to my attention that they might be a nice match for a set of ID Ultras.

Of course the doors would be deadened heavy and sealed.

Seems like a solid plan? Just looking for some feedback, thanks.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

System is a work in progress.

tez4life is offline Premium Member tez4life is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ID Ultra Horns + AA Carbon Fiber Mids = good match?

No love?

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

modskwod is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think it would probably be a good setup for whatever it's worth.

**REFS**
    Bought from: AudioPipe (Formerly TheLow, then Warden, then DCSoundLab), audio_phill, ciaonzo, enemyofsilence (CACO)
    Sold to: wccoug21, ChrisB (DIYMA)
    Traded with: supermaxx123, chithead (DIYMA)

timaishu is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can I have one of your vc100 crossovers if you switch?

One of mine has a stripped terminal screw hole that I dont know how to fix..

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Kenwood Excelon X792
    VC100 tweets and Mach 5 MLI-65 mids
    Memphis "BIG" belle 5-channel
    IDQ10v1 x2

Refs: Jeremy M, ryan8551226, BushJ311, king nothing

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by modskwod View Post
    I think it would probably be a good setup for whatever it's worth.

Thanks man,

Quote Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
    Can I have one of your vc100 crossovers if you switch?

One of mine has a stripped terminal screw hole that I dont know how to fix..
    Gladly.....if I still had them, sold them a while back. Sorry

I have a extra tweeter since I blew one over the past weekend and these are about to come out. If your interested.
    Last edited by tez4life; 12-30-2009 at 07:19 PM.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Your going to need some EQ to get those horns to sound good. Also what's the effeciency on those AA? Horns are 110db/1w/1m, while you can't match that with any conventional driver it's always good to come as close as you can. I'd look a for 90-92 with alot of power. If your not going to do all that just go with a regular tweeter. The horns won't ever be able to be pushed any harder than a regular mid can go anyway and a tweet can handle that SPL no issues with a better frequency response out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    Your going to need some EQ to get those horns to sound good. Also what's the effeciency on those AA? Horns are 110db/1w/1m, while you can't match that with any conventional driver it's always good to come as close as you can. I'd look a for 90-92 with alot of power. If your not going to do all that just go with a regular tweeter. The horns won't ever be able to be pushed any harder than a regular mid can go anyway and a tweet can handle that SPL no issues with a better frequency response out of the box.

Im not sure exactly the effeciency of the AAs, but I believe its pretty high, they only require around 150w of input, and from most owners, it seems enough....im glad you mention that, because it was something I was thinking about as well.

EQing im not concerned too much, I have a Pioneer Premier 880, so im quite sure I have that covered.

I did consider the ID Oems again, with a good bit of power, around 200w each. I would love to do something like ID XS series 6.5s or even the 6x9s in custom kick panels, but budget will not allow it, since I have to spend so much on the Horns.

A simple 2 way with just a regular tweeter might be a better deal, and be alot easier to tune, something to consider...

You were one of the people on here I was hoping to respond, thanks

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

Jeremy M is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd give a high end tweeter a go before i jump into horns. I've said it many times before and i'll say it again...the ID-XS28 tweets are superb to listen to.

06' Acura MDX
    Pioneer F90bt
    JL Audio XR 653csi
    Alpine PDX 150.2
    JL Audio 13TW5
    Alpine PDX 1000.1
    ------------------
    2010 Mazdaspeed3
    Alpine CDA-9887 (w/ imprint)
    2 sets of ID OEM 6.5
    2 sets of ID XS-28
    PG Xenon x200.4
    1 Atomic 5000.1
    2 RD Alpha D2 15's
    Tons of deadner and wire!

timaishu is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tez4life View Post
    Thanks man,

Gladly.....if I still had them, sold them a while back. Sorry

I have a extra tweeter since I blew one over the past weekend and these are about to come out. If your interested.
    Darn.. Was worth a shot.

Thanks but no thanks on the tweeter. I dont really see myself at risk for blowing mine since my amp doesnt put out too much power.

Thanks though.

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Kenwood Excelon X792
    VC100 tweets and Mach 5 MLI-65 mids
    Memphis "BIG" belle 5-channel
    IDQ10v1 x2

Refs: Jeremy M, ryan8551226, BushJ311, king nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Im not sure exactly the effeciency of the AAs, but I believe its pretty high, they only require around 150w of input, and from most owners, it seems enough....im glad you mention that, because it was something I was thinking about as well.

EQing im not concerned too much, I have a Pioneer Premier 880, so im quite sure I have that covered.

I did consider the ID Oems again, with a good bit of power, around 200w each. I would love to do something like ID XS series 6.5s or even the 6x9s in custom kick panels, but budget will not allow it, since I have to spend so much on the Horns.

A simple 2 way with just a regular tweeter might be a better deal, and be alot easier to tune, something to consider...

You were one of the people on here I was hoping to respond, thanks
    The CDULTRA sounds pretty solid out of the box provided they are installed correctly. (pretty simple install too). Haven't read much about the AA mid, but a good choice to look at instead of the IDOEM (which kicks ***, btw) is the CX62v.2. The new V.2 Chameleon is a refinement on the V.1. The V.2 uses a lighter cone and slightly smaller motor than the V.1. The midbass output is slightly less than the v.1 however, the lower/mid midrange is better with a nautral roll off around 3-3.2Khz.
    The X65 (or XS65) is a good choice too. the X65 (midbass only) has a seeming solid midbass resonce however, it appears to be overshadowed by the dominante upper midrange efficiency and natural roll off around 4.5Khz.

The one advantage of the CX62v.2 over the X65 is the availability of a 2ohm option. The CX62v.2 is infact a 2 ohm driver (CX64v.2 - 4 ohm driver) whereas the X65 is only available in 4 ohm (atleast for now).

Sean Adler
    VP, Sales & Marketing
    Image Dynamics USA, Inc.

T/F - (866) 933-1414
    Local - (909) 724-4655
    EXT.103
    FAX - (866) 239-4399
    sean@imagedynamicsusa.com

SqGuySoCal562 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

u can also look at the B&C 85ndl i thinks thats the model number they have a high sensitivity something like 92-94db they will keep up with the horns from what i've heard since they are used in pro audio.

bass_lover1 is offline Metal Head \m/ \m/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SqGuySoCal562 View Post
    u can also look at the B&C 85ndl i thinks thats the model number they have a high sensitivity something like 92-94db they will keep up with the horns from what i've heard since they are used in pro audio.
    The 8NDL51 is probably the one you're speaking of. Even a 6.5" version from B&C or 18Sound would work too.

To the OP, just remember that with PA drivers you're going to trade off efficiency for low frequency extension. Even the 8" drivers will strain when pushed hard below 80hz. For me this wouldn't be an issue (my mids are crossed at 80hz anyway) but I know a lot of you like your mid/midbass drivers to play subbass frequencies for whatever reason.

- Alpine CDA-9887 - AudioControl DQS - Linear Power 652I - B&G Neo3 - Clarion DPX 2251 - Vifa XT18 - Clarion DPX 1851 - Alpine SWX-1243D -

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Image Dynamics View Post
    The CDULTRA sounds pretty solid out of the box provided they are installed correctly. (pretty simple install too). Haven't read much about the AA mid, but a good choice to look at instead of the IDOEM (which kicks ***, btw) is the CX62v.2. The new V.2 Chameleon is a refinement on the V.1. The V.2 uses a lighter cone and slightly smaller motor than the V.1. The midbass output is slightly less than the v.1 however, the lower/mid midrange is better with a nautral roll off around 3-3.2Khz.
    The X65 (or XS65) is a good choice too. the X65 (midbass only) has a seeming solid midbass resonce however, it appears to be overshadowed by the dominante upper midrange efficiency and natural roll off around 4.5Khz.

The one advantage of the CX62v.2 over the X65 is the availability of a 2ohm option. The CX62v.2 is infact a 2 ohm driver (CX64v.2 - 4 ohm driver) whereas the X65 is only available in 4 ohm (atleast for now).

I completely forgot about the CX62v.2, I remember them having a 2 ohm option...that would work perfect for me with my current amp running the front stage even though honestly, a 50x2 on the horns would be plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by SqGuySoCal562 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_lover1 View Post
    The 8NDL51 is probably the one you're speaking of. Even a 6.5" version from B&C or 18Sound would work too.

To the OP, just remember that with PA drivers you're going to trade off efficiency for low frequency extension. Even the 8" drivers will strain when pushed hard below 80hz. For me this wouldn't be an issue (my mids are crossed at 80hz anyway) but I know a lot of you like your mid/midbass drivers to play subbass frequencies for whatever reason.

I considered a pro audio driver as well, but as mention, most lack under 100hz for my taste. Wasnt looking for insane midbass, just a nice match to the horns and my substage.

Thanks alot for all the feedback guys, gives me alot to think about...

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

T3mpest is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I completely forgot about the CX62v.2, I remember them having a 2 ohm option...that would work perfect for me with my current amp running the front stage even though honestly, a 50x2 on the horns would be plenty.

I considered a pro audio driver as well, but as mention, most lack under 100hz for my taste. Wasnt looking for insane midbass, just a nice match to the horns and my substage.

Thanks alot for all the feedback guys, gives me alot to think about...
    To actually match those horns your going to need something like that tho. The horns only go down to 1k or so. If you want to use any of the dynamics your horns have to offer you need to be capable of 115-125db's in teh lower midrange where the mid starts to roll off, you wont' get that with many normal speakers without alot of stress and strain. Unless your competing for SQ a bit of subbass behind you isn't a big deal. Especially since it leads to killer midbass, a much cleaner sound overall and 2x as loud as what most car's even attempt to approach.

Quote Originally Posted by sdmtnbiker420 View Post
    JL is for ballers. Theres a reason all the biggest rappers sing about JL, Zapco, Alpine..... and not Lightning audio or Pyle. It's all about the BALLER FACTOR.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T3mpest View Post
    To actually match those horns your going to need something like that tho. The horns only go down to 1k or so. If you want to use any of the dynamics your horns have to offer you need to be capable of 115-125db's in teh lower midrange where the mid starts to roll off, you wont' get that with many normal speakers without alot of stress and strain. Unless your competing for SQ a bit of subbass behind you isn't a big deal. Especially since it leads to killer midbass, a much cleaner sound overall and 2x as loud as what most car's even attempt to approach.

Im open for suggestions, if I decide to go the pro audio route, any particular driver you would recommend? 6.5" but im open to a 8" because im considering doing kick panels anyway. And this is aimed at a nice sounding daily driver on music, mostly R&B and Jazz.

2004 Ford Crown Victoria

Alpine 9887 HU
    Stock 5x7 door speakers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast