Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Benifits of Amping Infinity 9603i 6x9s

richjerome9 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Benifits of Amping Infinity 9603i 6x9s

Greetings All.

Would appreciate some help, if you dont have anything usefull to say e.g. chuck the 6x9s away then please dont speak. Ta

I drive a Renault Clio 1.4RT Mark One. Im not interested in spending buckets of cash on sub woofers, my plan is to get some nice front speakers for good sounding trebble and these 6x9s for some medium bass at the reer.

My question is this. I currently I have a set of Infinity 9603i 6x9 speakers connected directly to my Sony CDX-L280 45W x 4 headunit. What advantaged will I get from connecting the 6x9s to an amp. Will it improve the quality of sound? or just boost the bass and general power of the speakers. Im very in-experienced with car audio, just starting out so I would like to know if it would be worth getting an amp.

Thanx Rich.

(plz no stupid reponses

gimp is offline Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Benifits of Amping Infinity 9603i 6x9s

Those speakers are rated at 100 watts RMS (continuous) and 300 watts maximum. Your head unit is rated at 45 watts x 4 channels maximum but probably puts out only about 18-22 RMS, maximum sustained, and that would be at top volume. The head unit will probably distort in the upper 1/4 or so of the volume control which further diminishes the power you are putting to the speakers. I think that it would be a good idea to amp the speakers with an amp that puts out (RMS) at least in the upper third of what your speakers are rated at.

My personal experience with amping some Infinity speakers: I had a 50x4 Pioneer head unit and the front speakers were some Infinity components rated at 75 watts RMS. The head unit powered them nicely I thought but my plan had been to add an amp that matched the speakers. When I did, the speakers that had sounded good suddenly came alive! Adding the amp made the speakers sound great. That was my personal experience with amping Infinity speakers and matching the power to the speaker.

Good luck.

Yeh. I know I'm just an old fart but remember: It was my generation that invented rock and roll.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmm.. thanx alot for the reply dude. Ive come to the conclusion that something seriously has to be done. Its a joke when the factory fitted 10 year old speakers in the front of my car actually sound better than my new top range 6x9 speakers. I know that these style speakers arnt of the highest quality due to their shape, but this is terrible. My mate has some Pinoneer 6x9s that sound pretty decent, his are amped and they are very beefy.

"I think that it would be a good idea to amp the speakers with an amp that puts out (RMS) at least in the upper third of what your speakers are rated at."

Yeah sounds good m8, what amp would u recommend? I really know sweet fa about car audio, learning atm. So will the amp improve the quality as well as the speakers actual power?

So i now know why the lack of power, but im thinking could their be a reason for the poor quality?

#1 The crimpt connecters I bought were cheap as chips, they were just standard blue ones with a cylinder of metal inside, not gold plated or anything. Is there a chance they could be effecting my sound quality at all?

#2 Also is it posssible the original cable from the old reer speakers that I have used is poor quality and outdated? Maybe I should run some more wiring to the back of my car?

plz reply

gimp is offline Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richjerome9
    So will the amp improve the quality as well as the speakers actual power?
    Yes. The power will be "cleaner" than that out of the head unit. Realistically, the physical size of the head unit is just not large enough to produce large amounts of power and keep it clean. If your old speakers sound better than your new speakers, the new speakers might be starved for power that your head unit can't give them and therefore, causing the signal from the head unit to distort by maxing it out.
    As for what amp to get, I don't know what's available "over there" or who here would ship internationally. For the power ranges that you are talking about, Profile and U.S. Acoustics make decent budget amps that put out what they say they will and don't cost a fortune. You can view them at www.thezeb.com (but TheZeb doesn't ship internationally except for Canada and APO boxes).

So i now know why the lack of power, but im thinking could their be a reason for the poor quality?

#1 The crimpt connecters I bought were cheap as chips, they were just standard blue ones with a cylinder of metal inside, not gold plated or anything. Is there a chance they could be effecting my sound quality at all?
    With the power requirements that you are talking about, I really doubt that the connectors' not being gold plated is going to affect you much. A friend of mine builds competition sub boxes and installs high-powered amps and subs. He uses the regular connectors that he buys in bulk from The Home Depot and has no problems. If you prefer to use the gold-plated ones, you can pick them up at a local stereo shop. You might want to check to make sure that the connectors you are using aren't touching metal and grounding.

#2 Also is it posssible the original cable from the old reer speakers that I have used is poor quality and outdated? Maybe I should run some more wiring to the back of my car?
    Unless the wire is chaffed and rubbing on metal or broken, I doubt that the stock speaker wires could be your problem. Speaker wire is cheap enough (over here, at least) that it's not cost prohibitive to replace it even though it might be a pain pulling all those panels. My daughter and I recently put all 12-gauge speaker wire in her SUV because we had everything out to Dynamat it all anyway.
    If your stock speakers are sounding better than the power hungry speakers on the same head unit, I would try the amplifier before replacing all of your speaker wire.

Again, good luck.

Yeh. I know I'm just an old fart but remember: It was my generation that invented rock and roll.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey

I got a four channel 520W amp sitting here now with all the approriate cables. Here comes the difficult part, fitting it all. LOL

Any advice / tips would be appreicated

Cheers

BFresh is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the same speakers in my car now. great idea to amplify them. Depends on what kind of amp. Be careful with the one you have, the speakers might give you sheite if you overpower them. Sorry I can't be more useful

gimp is offline Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey

I got a four channel 520W amp sitting here now with all the approriate cables. Here comes the difficult part, fitting it all. LOL

Any advice / tips would be appreicated
    There's some decent info in the Crutchfield Learning Center

Another good place to get links to articles and such would be eCoustics - click on the amplifiers link.

Good luck.

skylinedo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Found this thread through the search function, this n00bquestions' probably been asked 1000 times but:

I was recommended that I amp my speakers to get better overall sound,

I have:
    Polk 4" 88 watt 2-way speakers (front) [why? b/c they're better than stock; got them for $10 new]
    Rockford Fosgate 6.5" 100 watt 3-way speakers (rear)
    Alpine CDM-7861 HU
    Crunch 2-channel 250 watt Amplifier

Tricky Part:
    12v, ground, REM, and RCA cables connected
    amp is on. I tested it w/ a speaker and it works, sound comes out.
    But, there are two channels on the amp, does this mean I can only connect two speakers? Crossover some wires?
    How would I do this with four speakers?

The channel thing on the amp looks like this:
    [+][-] [-][+]

skylinedo is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

crutchfield link dont work here, read it when i get home later on

EDIT:
    just read the link, 2-channel amps can support two speakers or one sub
    Last edited by skylinedo; 12-28-2003 at 10:27 PM.

Closed Thread