Closed Thread

Reload Thread: What speakers to use with no amp?

Dudeman258 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What speakers to use with no amp?

Hey folks, new here so hoping I can get some opinions.

I am looking to upgrade my speakers in my vehicle, and I do not want the weight or hassle or clutter of an amplifier.

Most decent component systems brag of 1million rms power handling.

Being unexperienced with speaker output vs. recommended or rms ratings, if I buy a speaker that is rated higher then the rms of my head unit's (eclipse CD3200) 50Wx4, will the speaker not be "efficient" at that lower rms power output?

If so, anyone have a decent suggestion for what I could invest in? I am on a limited budget, and word is that I don't need rear speakers with a decent component system. The front speaker size in my vehicle is 5.5, and I have limited room behind the speaker due to the window.

I listen to a huge variety of music. I used to have two 10inch subs in a very small sealed box that i was happy with, but i am old enough now its not worth it anymore. I would like these speakers to produce whatever low end is realistic (which I know is not much).

Thanks.

Dudeman

phemps is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What speakers to use with no amp?

your head unit doesnt put out 50 rms. prob under 20. there is no substitution for amp power but if your trying to get dentcly loud comps off headunit power look for something with a high sensitivity. i suggest amping the comps tho

Refs: Rio, DbzArson, goodstuff, Worstenemy453

Quote Originally Posted by Altec View Post
    Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

Dudeman258 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phemps View Post
    your head unit doesnt put out 50 rms. prob under 20. there is no substitution for amp power but if your trying to get dentcly loud comps off headunit power look for something with a high sensitivity. i suggest amping the comps tho
    Great point I didn't even notice it says max power 50W...sorry for the mistake.

So basically if I do not use an amplifier there is no good option for me? I am not expecting outstanding sound, I am realistic in that 20+/- rms will not be able to put out a punch.

So where it stands, look for the highest sensitivity and disregard rms rating of the speaker.

Dudeman

Dr. Hertz is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't even consider a comp set W/O amping them. The honest answer is a cheap set of coaxials is the only way to go. Low end is not going to happen in any form without adding a sub. Bottom line, you're gonna be mad at whatever you end up doing sans amp. If you could start over with the limited budget, amping the factory speakers with the factory head unit would probably give you your best results. I've installed for years and see this scenario all the time. No one ever heeds my advice however, they just end up adding a sub later.

KOL
    KOL is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you had looked just a few threads down, you'd have seen the same topic of discussion http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449335
    The feature is your friend

Closed Thread