which one is brighter/harsher?

thanks.

refs: 2002XLT, blaze383

eharri3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Hertz HSK165 vs. Alpine SPX-17PRO tweeter

Ive never been good with terms like 'bright' or 'harsh'. But I have Hertz HSK 165s right now and can tell you they seem to have a very wide frequency response, ie nothing in the frequency range that they play seems to jump out at me, it just all comes out in the proper proportions. Sounds good to me. But maybe not necessarily to someone who specifically looks for things such as 'brightness' and 'depth' in a speaker system rather than their ability to accurantly produce the widest range of frequencies you can reasonably ask them to play with minimal obvious peaks or dips. Didnt boost or cut anything on my EQ more than 1-2 db to get the right sound.

They aren't fully powered to their rms specs but I've taken the mids as low as 60 HZ without any trouble. I had some piercing qualities in higher pitched female voices and and certain other notes and have had occasional issues with 'wavering vocals' but I attribute that to my poor tweeter placement. I fixed it the best I could with my Pioneer's 16 band EQ but I think to really get the best out of these things the tweeters will have to go somewhere on the door panels as it seems like I can get just the right sound with more of an off axis tweeter placement. I will also have to get back up into the 120-150 watt rms range.

The more power you can throw at the HSKs, the better. They REALLY livened up at about 120 watts and I imagine 150-200 would bring out the best in them. But they are a very sensitive speaker. Mine are running on 60 watts rms per side right now and still sound great.
    Last edited by eharri3; 11-21-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Re: whats some good components?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deathpenalty18
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw

Originally Posted by x1le
    mids ARE speakers.

A component set = pair of midwoofer's and a pair of tweeter's

and nobody cares what your sub is.

Wasatch is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would say the HSK165 or even the ESK165 have a natural sound, maybe on the warm side, very detailed though.

2000 Ford Explorer

Head Unit: Pioneer Premier DEH-P510UB
    Front Stage: Hertz ESK 165
    Amp: Cadence XA250.2 (Orange)
    Sub: Sundown Audio SA-10
    Sub Amp: Alpine MRP-M500
    Wire: Lighting Audio, Tsunami
    Electrical: Optima Yellow Top

lyttleviet is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what they said, also, the HSK will yield much more output, being that it is a much more efficient component set. I've compared these side by side in the same application with the same amp.

Closed Thread