Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Less is Better?

Sweet'n Low is offline Harshaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Less is Better?

I've heard this more then once and it puzzles me:

"You could drop the rear speakers completely and buy a nice set of components for your front stage."

Why wouldn't I have both a componet system up front and some extra sound output coming from the rear? It sounds strange to me not to use all the factory slots.
    Last edited by Sweet'n Low; 10-04-2009 at 10:33 PM.

blazeplacid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Less is Better?

its up to you how you want your setup to look and sound

front stage only is more of an SQ thing

I run all 4 of my speakers, not so much for it to be loud, just to have full sound

also I have a dual zone receiver so the rear speakers sometimes are playing a movie

CDT ES comp
    Eclipse EA4200 amp on highs
    TC Sounds LMS-r 12"
    nine.1

hockeytoker is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think its also said because if u have subs it'll basically drown out the sound coming from the rear speakers.

Head Unit: Alpine CDA-105
    Subs: 2 12" Alpine Type R's
    Sub Amp: Audioque 1200d
    Box Specs: 4 cuft @ 35hz
    Front Stage: Stock

SOON TO COME!
    Subs: 2 12" Fi Bl's fully loaded
    Sub Amp: 1 Audioque 2200d
    Box Specs: 2.5 cuft per sub, dual chamber, 32hz
    Front Stage: CTX65CS Image Dynamics
    Front Stage Amp: Alpine MRP-F300
    220amp HO Alt
    0 Gauge Big 3
    Batts: 1 Deka Intimidator 9a31, 1 Deka Intimidator 9A78DT under the hood

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if you have a good front stage, you're really not going to hear the rear speakers anyways

also you get imaging issues, time delay issues if you want to get technical... more money, more power.. etc etc... once you hear a car with a great front stage, you'd understand

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

eharri3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I've heard this more then once and it puzzles me:

You could drop the rear speakers completely and buy a nice set of components for your front stage.

Why wouldn't I have both a componet system up front and some extra sound output coming from the rear? It sounds strange to me not to use all the factory slots.

Precisely. Alot of people insist on rear fill not because there's some tangible SQ benefit but because the only thing most people know is front and rear speakers, and the concept of front stage only and unfilled speaker holes is just forgein to them.

The front speakers are what will make your sound more real. Spending more money on them makes it better than buying less than the best front stage you can afford just to fit rear fill into the budget.

Re: whats some good components?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deathpenalty18
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw

Originally Posted by x1le
    mids ARE speakers.

A component set = pair of midwoofer's and a pair of tweeter's

and nobody cares what your sub is.

xxxbasshead is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i have also always found this odd. can u point me to a few examples of comps that would make it so only the front stage is needed?

Car: 1991 Honda Civic Hatch
    HU:
    Front stage: Image Dynamics xs6.5 and tweeters
    Speaker Amp: Image Dynamics q450.4
    Subs: 4 Shok Triton 15s
    Sub Amp: Orion 2400xtr pros
    Electrical: boss load ho alt, yellow cap under the hood, 4 weker deep cycle batts
    bought from: evilsaint, gymfreak101, J31Rob, Valant_94gt,amartin_72, Audiofreak
    Sold to : lmllopez, roxj
    Traded with: LoggedOut, 99grandprix,DS Autosports,jasonjs,pieper88

J31Rob is offline CarTune Netwerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I only has fronts.. door pods. (setup in my sig)

and many could vouch, that's ALL I need.

the FUNK / facebook.com/The.Funk.765
    CarTune Netwerk / facebook.com/cartune.netwerk0

Alpine / Sundown Audio / Sound Solutions Audio
    Audio Technix / CT Sounds / Execution Audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Rear speakers take away from your imaging. First there is the time delay issue but more importantly, your sound is supposed to "appear" as though the singer is on the dash. This means that the majority of sound needs to come from in front of you. If you have a bunch of sound coming from behind you, it adds NOTHING and only takes away from the goal. It makes it that much harder to achieve.
    Stock speaker locations are not there for audiophiles. If auto manufacturers ever get into SQ competitions then you won't need to replace a single speaker and you can be happy with the factory locations. It makes no sense to accept that you need to replace the factory speaker because it's crappy but believe the location it was placed in is superior in some way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xxxbasshead View Post
    i have also always found this odd. can u point me to a few examples of comps that would make it so only the front stage is needed?
    Any number of high quality, high power-handling 2 or 3 way passive or active setups coupled with proper tuning and positioning for the car and the most power you can afford to throw at them, regardless of rms rating. Not to say I practice what I preach. My setup is from a few years ago when I too was having trouble getting past the 'what? no rear speakers?' thing. Had I had it to do all over again it would be stock rears run off the head unit and something even better than my Hertz HSKs being fed 2-3 times as much as what I'm feeding them right now. Unfortunately Dynaudio fronts, custom mounting/aiming, and 2-300 watts per side aren't in the time or money budget right now so I'm holding off.

Quote:
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw

mids ARE speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eCrack View Post
    Rear speakers take away from your imaging. First there is the time delay issue but more importantly, your sound is supposed to "appear" as though the singer is on the dash. This means that the majority of sound needs to come from in front of you. If you have a bunch of sound coming from behind you, it adds NOTHING and only takes away from the goal. It makes it that much harder to achieve.
    Stock speaker locations are not there for audiophiles. If auto manufacturers ever get into SQ competitions then you won't need to replace a single speaker and you can be happy with the factory locations. It makes no sense to accept that you need to replace the factory speaker because it's crappy but believe the location it was placed in is superior in some way.
    Yes this is how stock systems, even high end ones are engineered. "OK sound guy, we designed the door panels and put everything else in them that needs to go there. Here's where you can put your front speakers."

Oh yeah and now 8, 10, 12, 14 speakers are the fad in stock audio systems nowadays but funny how some of the most fantastic sounding aftermarket systems you'll hear have 5-6, all or most in front of the driver. Not that you need a zillion speakers in every single crevice you can fit them in the car for it to sound good, but lots of speakers is a marketing gimic for people who think the more speakers the better. This is why people going aftermarket think there just HAS to be something in the rear doors, and there just HAS to be something in those holes in the rear deck, and in the dash, etc...

Quote:

mids ARE speakers.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is all very enlightening for me glad to hear the feed back, really appreciate it

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
    Any number of high quality, high power-handling 2 or 3 way passive or active setups coupled with proper tuning and positioning for the car and the most power you can afford to throw at them, regardless of rms rating. Not to say I practice what I preach. My setup is from a few years ago when I too was having trouble getting past the 'what? no rear speakers?' thing. Had I had it to do all over again it would be stock rears run off the head unit and something even better than my Hertz HSKs being fed 2-3 times as much as what I'm feeding them right now. Unfortunately Dynaudio fronts, custom mounting/aiming, and 2-300 watts per side aren't in the time or money budget right now so I'm holding off.

How about this: High Quality Speakers up front powered off a 2 channel amp (that's also powering my Sub) and some low price After-Markets in the back powered from my head unit? Still out of bounds or worth looking into? I would think of the back speakers as back up singers while the front setup would still be the main event. My back speakers are basically blown at this point (Pioneer p6000ub vs factory speakers) and if it doesn't hurt the imaging/sq process too much I wouldn't mind the extra sound.. not to sound intolerant or ignorant, I'm pretty sure I'm just going with the front two at this point but I'm just wondering.
    Last edited by Sweet'n Low; 10-04-2009 at 10:45 PM.

timaishu is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was apart of the rear fill crowd for awhile until I decided I wanted to see what would happen if I bridged my amp to send more power to the front.

To do that I had to do away with rear speakers. I had planned to run the rears off my headunit but I never got around to doing it. I really like how it sounds quite nice. The only time you will notice the lack of rear speakers is if you turn your head and look backwards. Like as if your reaching for something back there. Other than that, you most likely wont notice the lack of rears.

2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Kenwood Excelon X792
    VC100 tweets and Mach 5 MLI-65 mids
    Memphis "BIG" belle 5-channel
    IDQ10v1 x2

Refs: Jeremy M, ryan8551226, BushJ311, king nothing

misfit138 is offline a whole new type of aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    High Quality Speakers up front powered off a 2 channel amp (that's also powering my Sub)
    I wouldn't do it.

If you want to run a pair of components and a subwoofer on one amp, get a nice 4 channel...

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand.

bigaudiofanati2 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I did not believe that removing the rears and have great fronts was a good thing. Until I heard it so much better and no sound interference from the rears. Music is recorded in 2 channel setup so why should you listen to it in any other way?

My build thread.
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406175

If anyone needs help just let me know

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast