Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: What's the best bang for the buck speakers?

BennyLava is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What's the best bang for the buck speakers?

Im looking for the best bang for the buck, non-component speakers for my car. But more specifically, what are the best bang for the buck speakers in these two sizes:

3.5"

and

4x10

Those are the two sizes that my car came with, so that is what I have to deal with. I am not a very good modder or anything like that so I think it is best if I just go ahead and stick with the factory sizes. Anyway, what do you think is the best bang for the buck in those two sizes? (non-component)

mvw2 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: What's the best bang for the buck speakers?

Old car.

4x10 hasn't been a common size for a long, long time.

There aren't too many products made anymore in these sizes, especially 4x10. Some brands still offer options, but there isn't anything exactly outstanding available.

Most of the time in these situations you opt for the better route. The better route is to chop up the doors and fit a 6.5" speaker set in the doors. The car is old enough it really shouldn't matter. A piece or two of 3/4" MDF will let you mount whatever you want in the door. It's just a matter of you willing to cut up the door panel and sheet metal to stick a speaker in the door.

What car is it?

What's the budget?

What type of sound are you looking for?

(mvw2)-Car Audio Forum-Elite Car Audio-DIY Mobile Audio- Car Audo-AIM-MSN-
    Car: 2002 Subaru Forester
    HU: Ural Concert CDD
    Front Speakers: Peerless XLS 8" midbass, Vifa TG9 3.5" mid,and Seas 1" alum neo tweeter...sitting on the floor in the garage waiting for me to install them.
    Rear Speakers: N/A
    Amps: (2x) Cadence Z4000 300w x 2 + 75w x 4 waiting to power the 3-way front setup.
    Subwoofer: Out of car, possibly subless with the 3-way, maybe DIYMA ported going back in
    Phoenix Gold Xenon X600.1 600-800w x 1 amp...out of car...waiting

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the vehicle is a 1987 Chevy Silverado that I am restoring. The 73-87 chevy truck bodystyle has a huge following of fans, as I am sure you are aware. But unfortunately, there is only 4x10 speaker holes in the back, and 3.5" holes in the dash. Sure, due to the nature of the truck and cab the ones in the back could be changed to something a lot more modern, and yeah I could cut holes in the doors and stick something way better in there. But I'm really just not up for all that right now. As of now, all the truck has is one functioning 3.5" speaker in the dash, and a wore out clarion cd player that barely functions. So anything is going to be a drastic upgrade for it lol. Im just looking for clear, crisp sound like anyone else. I am not all about large bass as I am sure most of the members here are. I just like nice sound quality. As for the budget, I am not really sure what to say here. I guess the best thing I could say is, Im looking for what would be known as the best bang for the buck in those speaker sizes. Don't want to spend a ton, but I am willing to spend what it takes to get decent sound quality.

stocker08 is offline Drunk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 2002 Buick Century has a bigger following

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You don't know much about the old chevy's then lol

misfit138 is offline a whole new type of aids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

3.5" speakers: Rainbow KX87 coaxial http://www.woofersetc.com/p7187/KX-8...l-Speakers.htm

4x10" speakers: Kicker 08KS4100 http://techronics.com/index.cfm?fuse...8413&aff=72182

I really don't think these speakers will give you anything near "great" sound quality to be honest.

I'd take the advice of the previous poster. Just cut a hole in the doors and mount some 5.25" or 6.5" components. It's an extremely easy upgrade that 99 out of 100 people would have little to no trouble performing. You'll get much improved sound quality that way.

I shot out muh mom's vag with bossing papers in hand.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    Just cut a hole in the doors and mount some 5.25" or 6.5" components. It's an extremely easy upgrade that 99 out of 100 people would have little to no trouble performing. You'll get much improved sound quality that way.

Yeah I am plenty capable of doing that. But I already bought some aftermarket replacements that fit in the factory sizes. If I do what you suggested, should I leave all the others installed, or will it kinda kill the sound quality of the new more modern speakers that I just installed in the doors?

jdawg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

buy these, no mods, take out your kick panels and drop these in, then add speakers, it will open up your options alot
    http://www.qlogicfactoryoutlet.com/i...products_id=69

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C100...ge.html?tp=130

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BennyLava View Post
    Yeah I am plenty capable of doing that. But I already bought some aftermarket replacements that fit in the factory sizes. If I do what you suggested, should I leave all the others installed, or will it kinda kill the sound quality of the new more modern speakers that I just installed in the doors?
    If you're lookig for decent sound quality and you're on a budget, do this:

Return the speakers you've already purchased and buy a set of components & a nice 4 channel amp.

This will allow you to power your components and have a little something left over for a subwoofer. I'd look for an amp that does 100 watts per channel @ 4 ohms that can be bridged to 300 watts x2 @ 4 ohms (the Alpine MRP-F600 comes to mind here). This will allow you to give your componets 100 watts apiece and you'll still be able to power a 300 watt, 4 ohm subwoofer.

There are dozens of amps that meet this criteria, and you should have little to no trouble finding a suitable sub either. Just do a little research to find the ones you like. That's half of the fun, really...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misfit138 View Post
    If you're lookig for decent sound quality and you're on a budget, do this:

Return the speakers you've already purchased and buy a set of components & a nice 4 channel amp.

This will allow you to power your components and have a little something left over for a subwoofer. I'd look for an amp that does 100 watts per channel @ 4 ohms that can be bridged to 300 watts x2 @ 4 ohms (the Alpine MRP-F600 comes to mind here). This will allow you to give your componets 100 watts apiece and you'll still be able to power a 300 watt, 4 ohm subwoofer.

There are dozens of amps that meet this criteria, and you should have little to no trouble finding a suitable sub either. Just do a little research to find the ones you like. That's half of the fun, really...
    Thanks for the helpful reply. But Im afraid I don't even know what the real difference is between a component speaker and a regular speaker. Other than the fact that they look different. One has that little tweeter on top, right? And I lack the experience and knowledge to give my truck the total sound overhaul that it needs. As another member said, Im not going to get good quality out of the factory speaker sizes this truck ('87 silverado) has. I have to make all the holes bigger, (don't know what size I should increase them to) and make some new holes all together. Probly help to run all new thicker speaker wire, too. At this point I just don't have the time, knowhow, or funds to do all that, so that's why I was just asking about the best bang for the buck. I will have to do all the stuff you said when I don't have such budgetary restraints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thanks for the helpful reply. But Im afraid I don't even know what the real difference is between a component speaker and a regular speaker. Other than the fact that they look different. One has that little tweeter on top, right? And I lack the experience and knowledge to give my truck the total sound overhaul that it needs. As another member said, Im not going to get good quality out of the factory speaker sizes this truck ('87 silverado) has. I have to make all the holes bigger, (don't know what size I should increase them to) and make some new holes all together. Probly help to run all new thicker speaker wire, too. At this point I just don't have the time, knowhow, or funds to do all that, so that's why I was just asking about the best bang for the buck. I will have to do all the stuff you said when I don't have such budgetary restraints.
    components have seperate drivers, tweeters and crossovers.

example of a component system:

http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/4...peaker+Sys.jpg

example of coaxial speaker:

http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/a...udio+db501.jpg

I'll say again; Disregard the factory speaker locations. Buy a quality 4 channel amp, install a pair of components in your doors and a get an enclosure & subwoofer for behind your seat.

That's probably the best advice I can give you here. You should get decent results from this without having to spend a ton of money...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you sir, that explains a lot. Makes sense too. So you say components for the doors, and a subwoofer for behind the seats. Im a noob, but it sounds to me like that covers the mids, and the lows. Should I get some decent tweeters to cover the highs? And when you say 4 channel amp... does that mean that it can be safely used to push a sub, as well as other speakers as well?

I have a perfect spot for tweeters already, in the dash. For the mids I can easily cut out the door holes for such a truck. Im pretty mechanically inclined so that should be no problem. The way the sub and amp will have to be is pretty self explanatory due to their size.

350zspl is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

see if q-logic makes kickpanels for your car
    than you can mount 6.5" components
    easier than doing your doors
    easier running wires
    might be a better mounting spot as well

Alpine 9886
    Digital Design 9515G
    Digital Design W6.5 Mid Bass
    Digital Design DD-A 5.25 Mid Range
    Digital Design T2 Tweeters CDT 560I Crossovers
    Crunch Ground Pounder 3000D-Pro
    Rockford Fosgate T5002
    Stinger Battery w/HO Alt
    Stinger RCA
    Stinger Wire

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Thank you sir, that explains a lot. Makes sense too. So you say components for the doors, and a subwoofer for behind the seats. Im a noob, but it sounds to me like that covers the mids, and the lows. Should I get some decent tweeters to cover the highs? And when you say 4 channel amp... does that mean that it can be safely used to push a sub, as well as other speakers as well?

I have a perfect spot for tweeters already, in the dash. For the mids I can easily cut out the door holes for such a truck. Im pretty mechanically inclined so that should be no problem. The way the sub and amp will have to be is pretty self explanatory due to their size.

Component speakers come with tweeters.

4 channel amp will be fine. I suggested it so you won't have to buy more than one amplifier. It'll save you time, money and space...

You could look into the Q-Form kick panel enclosures too. They're pretty nice, but they'll cost you...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What about a sound processor? To me, it sounds like a sound processor does the exact same thing as a crossover. Is this correct? It has been explained to me that a sound processor makes sure the right signals get sent to the right speakers. Same as a crossover, right? I have also heard that amplifiers can do the same thing...

So what's up with that? In reality, do they all have the same little component inside, that just makes the right sound go to the right speaker? And how do you know when you already have it covered, and it would be a waste of money to buy a sound processor? I have to admit that I have never even seen a crossover, if I have I had no idea what I was looking at.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast