Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Rainbow speaker making raspy/gurgly noise during some frequencies?

ls1pimp is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow speaker making raspy/gurgly noise during some frequencies?

This is hard for me to describe. I have a pair of Rainbow SLC 265's that I've had for a few years. Recently, the left speaker has some heavy additional noise in it on top of the music, during some frequencies, usually during the "breakdown" of electronic songs or other baseless parts of songs, there is a loud raspy and gurgly noise coming through the speaker. The music still sounds fine and the speaker doesn't sound blown, but it is making a raspy/scratchy noise on top of the music during some frequencies. So the actual music still sounds fine, but there is all kinds of additional noise coming through.

Any ideas what this might be? Seems like it happens near the crossover point between bass/mid range in the speakers.

KOL
    KOL is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rainbow speaker making raspy/gurgly noise during some frequencies?

Check your connections, maybe a wire has gotten loose.

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had a similar problem with one of my germanium woofers - something came unglued or some such; I couldn't see what from the outside of the speaker and didn't know how to take it apart .

The speaker still played, but it sounded...well...kinda raspy.

Take out the driver and push (straight down) on the cone manually (carefully) and listen to hear if it grinds at all when moving slowly. If it does...well, you know what to do (replace it.) If it doesn't, try playing it free-air and see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. It could be something inside your door panel buzzing...if the sound goes away when you pull out the driver, that'll tell you if that's the case.
    Last edited by headless; 06-18-2009 at 10:12 AM.

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

ls1pimp is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by headless View Post
    I had a similar problem with one of my germanium woofers - something came unglued or some such; I couldn't see what from the outside of the speaker and didn't know how to take it apart .

The speaker still played, but it sounded...well...kinda raspy.

Take out the driver and push (straight down) on the cone manually (carefully) and listen to hear if it grinds at all when moving slowly. If it does...well, you know what to do (replace it.) If it doesn't, try playing it free-air and see if you can pinpoint where the sound is coming from. It could be something inside your door panel buzzing...if the sound goes away when you pull out the driver, that'll tell you if that's the case.
    Just out of curiousity, is the next step up from the Rainbow SLC 265's worth getting? Not sure what model it is

Closed Thread