Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Reload Thread: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

  1. #1
    agrogasboy's Avatar
    agrogasboy is offline Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Car is an 07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan. I've already replaced the stock headunit with a 2-DIN Pioneer DVD so i could attah my iPod (I used to use a tape adaptor with the stock headunit, which really irritated me).

    Anyways, i've finally saved up some cash to upgrade front speakers and add a sub & amp. I listen to a broad range of music, and I give more importance to SQ. I would like to hear the instuments and vocals clearly. I'm new to this and have just spent the past 4 days checking several forums. This will be the first and last investment into the car, from an audio perspective, so I want the system to be good enough that I will not want to upgrade, ever.

    Appreciate your advice on the following set-up offered to me by a local shop:

    Option 1:
    Focal 165VR
    Earthquake SWS12 sub
    4-channel amp (can't recall what brand/model they recommended)
    price quote: ~$960(installed)


    Option 2 (cheaper):
    Focal 165CA1 (i think this will be powered by the HU)
    Earthquake SWS12 sub
    2-channel amp (any recommendations)
    price quote: ~$600 (installed)

    In both options, the reco is to kill the 4in speakers in the back seat. I don't mind since I stay up front all the time anyways.

    Is it worth investing in sound deadening? Is it advisable to just do the front doors and trunk?

    If you have any other recommendations, pls feel free to enlighten me.







  2. #2
    jackie.scoth's Avatar
    jackie.scoth is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    If you have enough cash, you can do both options that will enhance your car more.




  3. #3
    maddskillzz's Avatar
    maddskillzz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the ville
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by agrogasboy View Post
    Car is an 07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan. I've already replaced the stock headunit with a 2-DIN Pioneer DVD so i could attah my iPod (I used to use a tape adaptor with the stock headunit, which really irritated me).

    Anyways, i've finally saved up some cash to upgrade front speakers and add a sub & amp. I listen to a broad range of music, and I give more importance to SQ. I would like to hear the instuments and vocals clearly. I'm new to this and have just spent the past 4 days checking several forums. This will be the first and last investment into the car, from an audio perspective, so I want the system to be good enough that I will not want to upgrade, ever.

    Appreciate your advice on the following set-up offered to me by a local shop:

    Option 1:
    Focal 165VR
    Earthquake SWS12 sub
    4-channel amp (can't recall what brand/model they recommended)
    price quote: ~$960(installed)


    Option 2 (cheaper):
    Focal 165CA1 (i think this will be powered by the HU)
    Earthquake SWS12 sub
    2-channel amp (any recommendations)
    price quote: ~$600 (installed)

    In both options, the reco is to kill the 4in speakers in the back seat. I don't mind since I stay up front all the time anyways.

    Is it worth investing in sound deadening? Is it advisable to just do the front doors and trunk?

    If you have any other recommendations, pls feel free to enlighten me.
    Every considered doing the install yourself?? you could save yourself alot of money plus you would know how everything was installed..now for your options.

    i have heard decent things about focal stuff...should be ok..
    is there some reason you are using a shallow mount sub?? not to mention earthquake is kinda lowend stuff..

    But basically all i am sayin is..you should be able to get a really decent amp for 1 12 for about $200...good speakers up front for $100...good sub for about $150...install it all yourself, save money and sound better



    HU - offbrand DVD GPS
    Front - Infinity Kappa Components
    Rear - Infinity Kappa 680.9 cs Components
    Comp amp - JBL GT400
    Subs 2x RE SE D4 12's
    Sub Amp(s) 2x Kicker ZX750.1

    There are no stupid questions...Just stupid people asking questions


  4. #4
    maddskillzz's Avatar
    maddskillzz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the ville
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    oh yeah...by the way...nice car



    HU - offbrand DVD GPS
    Front - Infinity Kappa Components
    Rear - Infinity Kappa 680.9 cs Components
    Comp amp - JBL GT400
    Subs 2x RE SE D4 12's
    Sub Amp(s) 2x Kicker ZX750.1

    There are no stupid questions...Just stupid people asking questions


  5. #5
    agrogasboy's Avatar
    agrogasboy is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by maddskillzz View Post
    oh yeah...by the way...nice car
    Thanks.

    I just specified to the shop I went to that I still need some trunk space. probably why the recommended a shallow sub? Am just assuming that's why.

    What brand/model amp & sub would you recommend? Something mid-range, value for money, that I will be satisfied with, forever...

    As for the installation, i wouldn't want to risk installing anything myself, being new at this. So, i'm very much willing to pay a pro to do it.




  6. #6
    agrogasboy's Avatar
    agrogasboy is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by jackie.scoth View Post
    If you have enough cash, you can do both options that will enhance your car more.
    I 'd rather just do a one-time expense... and keep it as simple as possible. I like the idea of a sub in the back, an amp, then decent front speakers.




  7. #7
    05fronty's Avatar
    05fronty is offline SALT PETER



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    conway,ar
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by maddskillzz View Post
    oh yeah...by the way...nice car
    x2 been looking at the 09's



    bought from ridinhi,vitveet,dbr,sicaudio and 99grandprixgt, and more ........... sold to player3,foomasta69, pitbull, brodiesel and dragnix 12887 traded with louisiana crx

    "noobs that come in the dome will get gang raped!"
    nothing but a stock fosgate system with gps and back up camera lol
    2012 nissan sentra spec v with some goodies cumming though

  8. #8
    maddskillzz's Avatar
    maddskillzz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the ville
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    well since you are going to pay for the install, what brand subs/amps does your shop carry?

    if possible i would go with a Alpine 10 Type R. or an RE SE 10...i say 10 because you wanna keep alot of your trunk space..FYI RE's sound awesome in small sealed enclosures..
    And for an amp i would go with anything namebrand, you will here alot about dirty power and clipping but as long as the amp pushes what the sub is rated for you should never get into this..but for reference..sundowns are awesome..kicker makes good amps...us amps....

    You also said in an earlier post you wanted the sound to be really clear...if you have the money replace the front speakers with components and a small 50-100w amp..



    HU - offbrand DVD GPS
    Front - Infinity Kappa Components
    Rear - Infinity Kappa 680.9 cs Components
    Comp amp - JBL GT400
    Subs 2x RE SE D4 12's
    Sub Amp(s) 2x Kicker ZX750.1

    There are no stupid questions...Just stupid people asking questions


  9. #9
    maddskillzz's Avatar
    maddskillzz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the ville
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by smllysack View Post
    x2 been looking at the 09's
    never drove one but they say these things will out run the wrath of god...lol



    HU - offbrand DVD GPS
    Front - Infinity Kappa Components
    Rear - Infinity Kappa 680.9 cs Components
    Comp amp - JBL GT400
    Subs 2x RE SE D4 12's
    Sub Amp(s) 2x Kicker ZX750.1

    There are no stupid questions...Just stupid people asking questions


  10. #10
    agrogasboy's Avatar
    agrogasboy is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by maddskillzz View Post
    never drove one but they say these things will out run the wrath of god...lol
    It is a fun drive... crappy stock sound system though. Hoping to fix that soon, so it'll be even more fun.




  11. #11
    05fronty's Avatar
    05fronty is offline SALT PETER



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    conway,ar
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by maddskillzz View Post
    never drove one but they say these things will out run the wrath of god...lol
    this is why i have been looking at it over the lancer



    bought from ridinhi,vitveet,dbr,sicaudio and 99grandprixgt, and more ........... sold to player3,foomasta69, pitbull, brodiesel and dragnix 12887 traded with louisiana crx

    "noobs that come in the dome will get gang raped!"
    nothing but a stock fosgate system with gps and back up camera lol
    2012 nissan sentra spec v with some goodies cumming though

  12. #12
    maddskillzz's Avatar
    maddskillzz is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the ville
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by agrogasboy View Post
    It is a fun drive... crappy stock sound system though. Hoping to fix that soon, so it'll be even more fun.
    you never did say what your local shop carries? they tend to only want to install what they sell



    HU - offbrand DVD GPS
    Front - Infinity Kappa Components
    Rear - Infinity Kappa 680.9 cs Components
    Comp amp - JBL GT400
    Subs 2x RE SE D4 12's
    Sub Amp(s) 2x Kicker ZX750.1

    There are no stupid questions...Just stupid people asking questions


  13. #13
    05fronty's Avatar
    05fronty is offline SALT PETER



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    conway,ar
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    also like above posts said, get a small 10,set of components, and a couple of amps.



    bought from ridinhi,vitveet,dbr,sicaudio and 99grandprixgt, and more ........... sold to player3,foomasta69, pitbull, brodiesel and dragnix 12887 traded with louisiana crx

    "noobs that come in the dome will get gang raped!"
    nothing but a stock fosgate system with gps and back up camera lol
    2012 nissan sentra spec v with some goodies cumming though

  14. #14
    agrogasboy's Avatar
    agrogasboy is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    Quote Originally Posted by maddskillzz View Post
    well since you are going to pay for the install, what brand subs/amps does your shop carry?

    if possible i would go with a Alpine 10 Type R. or an RE SE 10...i say 10 because you wanna keep alot of your trunk space..FYI RE's sound awesome in small sealed enclosures..
    And for an amp i would go with anything namebrand, you will here alot about dirty power and clipping but as long as the amp pushes what the sub is rated for you should never get into this..but for reference..sundowns are awesome..kicker makes good amps...us amps....

    You also said in an earlier post you wanted the sound to be really clear...if you have the money replace the front speakers with components and a small 50-100w amp..
    Both focal speakers recommended by the shop are components. The tweeters will be located by the AC vents, wile the speakers fit into the doors with a litttle modification to the bracket, replacing the stock speakers.




  15. #15
    thaster's Avatar
    thaster is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Advice for a noob (07 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan)

    buy everything in my sig except the ported box. go with a 1 cu ft seal box for maximum trunk space.



    Acura Integra

    HEADUNIT - Pioneer AVIC N2
    FRONTSTAGE - Crystal SSCS6 component system
    REAR - None
    FRONTSTAGE AMP - Diamond Audio d3 400.4
    SUBWOOFER - Image Dynamics IDQv3 12 inch
    SUBWOOFER AMP - Alpine PDX 1.600
    SUBWOOFER BOX - 1.9^3 @ 28 hz ported box designed by JBLCAMRY and built by BJ FISHER

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum