Closed Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Reload Thread: Crossover power ratings?

  1. #1
    Bayer's Avatar
    Bayer is offline Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    585
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Crossover power ratings?

    I just recently purchased a set of CDT components here:http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4630 ran off this amp: http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_id=7270 I have the amp bridged to 2 channels. I was resetting the filters and gains on the amp earlier and the crossovers were starting to make that bad overpowered electronics smell. I had no problems with the speakers, just the crossovers. they have a switch inside that has the settings -3, 0, +3. I currently have them at +3 if that matters. Any chance the crossovers arent rated to handle as much power as the speakers?







  2. #2
    eharri3's Avatar
    eharri3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover power ratings?

    What techique are you using to set the gains and did you run the tones with the crossover disconnected from the amp or did you actually run them through the speakers. IF the crossover started to burn up while you were doing this I'd bet you ran the tones through the speakers for an extended period of time. Big no-no.



    Re: whats some good components?


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deathpenalty18
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw


    Originally Posted by x1le
    mids ARE speakers.

    A component set = pair of midwoofer's and a pair of tweeter's

    and nobody cares what your sub is.

  3. #3
    Bayer's Avatar
    Bayer is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    585
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover power ratings?

    Quote Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
    What techique are you using to set the gains and did you run the tones with the crossover disconnected from the amp or did you actually run them through the speakers. IF the crossover started to burn up while you were doing this I'd bet you ran the tones through the speakers for an extended period of time. Big no-no.
    I'm setting them by ear, although I do have a fluke DMM. I'll google how to set the gains with that later tonight. I dont understand the second part of the question, but the crossovers have always been hooked up if thats the answer youre looking for.




  4. #4
    eharri3's Avatar
    eharri3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    philly
    Posts
    756
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover power ratings?

    Are you setting by ear with music or tones.



    Re: whats some good components?


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deathpenalty18
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw


    Originally Posted by x1le
    mids ARE speakers.

    A component set = pair of midwoofer's and a pair of tweeter's

    and nobody cares what your sub is.

  5. #5
    DidUHearThat?'s Avatar
    DidUHearThat? is offline Precious Bodily Fluids



    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    General Ripper, Base Commander
    Posts
    2,197
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover power ratings?

    The crossovers have built in resistors to protect the tweeters from damage due to overpowering them. They convert the energy to hear. If you overpower them for very long they get very hot and would explain the cooking smell. Check the x-overs for burn marks. If no burn marks and they still work, then your fine.

    It should have been hell'a loud. Don't do that again.



    Rockford/Denon 8250
    Hifonics NX880
    Alpine MPR450
    CDT CL61-IEK
    CDT 6X
    Elemental Designs 11kv.2
    KnuKonceptz
    Optima Yellow and Red Top
    130 Amp alternator

  6. #6
    Bayer's Avatar
    Bayer is offline Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    585
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Crossover power ratings?

    Quote Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
    Are you setting by ear with music or tones.
    I'm setting using music listening for distortion by ear but i do plan on using the fluke
    Quote Originally Posted by DidUHearThat? View Post
    The crossovers have built in resistors to protect the tweeters from damage due to overpowering them. They convert the energy to hear. If you overpower them for very long they get very hot and would explain the cooking smell. Check the x-overs for burn marks. If no burn marks and they still work, then your fine.

    It should have been hell'a loud. Don't do that again.
    Ya, it was hella loud thats kinda what i was going for. The amp is a little underpowered for the RMS rating, and I know CDTs can take more than the rated power so I tried to give them a little more using the gains. I had them as high as ~30% and thats when I noticed the smell. I cant take my dash apart this weekend to look at the x-overs, but what if they did get a little too hot for a short period of time, probably 30 seconds or less?




Closed Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum