Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Wanted: shallow comp set with strong mid bass

adhumston is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wanted: shallow comp set with strong mid bass

I've tried the search feature before someone suggests that. I didn't really find anything specific enough...

I'm in need of suggestions for a 6.5" component set (passive) that is under 2.4"/61mm deep (max depth using spacer)and has a strong midbass response. Unfortunately, I can't listen to much because of a lack of dealers near me. Power is not an issue, and lets set the price ceiling at $600. The speakers will be mounted in the factory locations in a 2000 Subaru Outback (mids in doors and tweets in sail panels). I prefer a natural sounding tweeter that is not harsh. I listen to mainly rock/alternative rock with some country thrown in.

I have a set of CDT HD-62's with silk tweets getting about 250w each in my truck, and I do like them, but I'm not sure how the shallow CDT's compare. I've also done some reading on the Focal VRS and noticed that some Rainbows are relatively shallow, but have no idea how either sound. Any other suggestions and input is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by adhumston; 03-05-2009 at 03:28 PM.

pjhabit is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Wanted: shallow comp set with strong mid bass

I don't have much of any experience w/ shallow mounts. But it might be worth the effort to build a baffle & get something bigger in there (take some measurements & see what you can do).
    If you're happy w/ the CDT's, I'd say stick w/ what you like. Shoot exige a PM & he can hook you up. He'll also help you out w/ any questions you might have w/ regards to CDT(the shallow mounts or otherwise) & he's just a all around good guy to deal with.

//Alpine 9887
    CDT BCK-26A tweets
    CDT ES-6 mids
    JL 450/4v2
    JL 500/1v2
    JL 12W6v2

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow Germaniums are ~ 64mm deep. I'd figure a way to get that extra 3mm in and put a set of those in there and call it a day The cal25 is an awesome silk tweeter, and the passive x-overs that come with the germaniums are awesome - they allow you to adjust 4 levels of tweeter attenuation, and also adjust crossover points for both woofers and tweeters independently, allowing you to over or underlap your tweeters with your woofers. Give em 200w per side for some headroom and you'll be very happy with them including their midbass response as long as you properly deaden your door, as always.

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pjhabit View Post
    I don't have much of any experience w/ shallow mounts. But it might be worth the effort to build a baffle & get something bigger in there (take some measurements & see what you can do).
    Unfortunately that is with a baffle. I may be able to get away with a little more, but not much.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by headless View Post
    Rainbow Germaniums are ~ 64mm deep. I'd figure a way to get that extra 3mm in and put a set of those in there and call it a day The cal25 is an awesome silk tweeter, and the passive x-overs that come with the germaniums are awesome - they allow you to adjust 4 levels of tweeter attenuation, and also adjust crossover points for both woofers and tweeters independently, allowing you to over or underlap your tweeters with your woofers. Give em 200w per side for some headroom and you'll be very happy with them including their midbass response as long as you properly deaden your door, as always.
    I believe I could probably get away with another 3mm. I've been interested in the Rainbows for awhile now, but scared to take the jump without a listen! How does the midbass compare to the CDT's, any idea?

Closed Thread