Closed Thread

Reload Thread: matching a component system to a deck

surfahbum808 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

matching a component system to a deck

would this component system match with this deck in terms of impedance? im not exactly sure how this all works.

Head Unit : Premier DEH-P600UB
    Component system: JL Audio VR525-CSi

also, would it be possible to power the speakers with an amp besides the one already built into the head unit?

Optimus Prime, come sit here next to Megatron....we're gonna have a little chit-chat. I AM THE COBRA COMMANDER...BRRRRR I SAID NO COOKIES!!!!

Fusion_FREAK is offline Story of My Life...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: matching a component system to a deck

Components aren't meant for being powered by the head unit.

Do some research.

adio is offline THE STEREOTYPE FIGHTER!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surfahbum808 View Post
    would this component system match with this deck in terms of impedance? im not exactly sure how this all works.

Head Unit : Premier DEH-P600UB
    Component system: JL Audio VR525-CSi

also, would it be possible to power the speakers with an amp besides the one already built into the head unit?
    components don't ever have to match a deck/HU. there's no such thing as a matter of fact. and yes, most comps are powered by an amp besides the one in the deck/HU.

refs= springy101 <-- ultimate buyer, jmanpc(sold stereo), pwnt by pat <---the ultimate installer, PV audio and ionsql(box designs), toxic tuan (crystal comps), hazardous0388 (8" TB's), backthepack(jbl1200.1), bamavoo (sold profile ap1000M), rashadd (box plans in time of need), bassaddictj (jl xr mids), louisiana_crx(traded amps for DD comps), revrider1 (traded tc sub for RE sub and amp), jcldallas24 (bought jbl 1200.1), boomsday (2.3 cu ft tuned to 32hz), UMWDawg92 (sold kenwood stereo)
    fuq with adio, get your money/product that completely works........GUARANTEED!!!!!!!

eharri3 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kind of like buying a Porche then putting on cheapo Pep Boys tires, filling the tank with 86 octane, and installing 120$ Midas brake pads.

Re: whats some good components?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by deathpenalty18
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw

Originally Posted by x1le
    mids ARE speakers.

A component set = pair of midwoofer's and a pair of tweeter's

and nobody cares what your sub is.

krisfnbz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

anytime you buy a pair of component speakers, you want to amplify them accordingly. Most speakers are 4 ohm, and handle anywhere from 60-150 or so watts per set of speakers..

Yes that is a 5 1/4th audiobahn mid speaker in my civic's headrest. circa 2006.

2000 Celica GTS

Pioneer FH-X700BT
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 3 way
    Dayton Ultimax 15", sealed 4cuft
    Memphis 16-MC5.700 5 channel
    Knu wiring

atoprak is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yu can run some component systems like Alpine SPE-17CS from your head unit...
    but keep in mind that the component system power rating shouldn't be over 35-40wrms ... otherwise you get muddy sound ...

beatle is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm trying to do a similar thing by driving a set of comps off the deck power of my Alpine 9835. It's a slightly different situation as the Alpine has a little more juice than most decks (26w rms) and I'd be able to run the comps actively so each driver would have its own channel. I haven't gotten much response on my queries, however...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You will almost never see that 26 watts. More likely than not you will be sending 1-10 watts to your speakers at any given time. Regardless of any deck's rms ratings most of them end up sending about the same amount of real clean power to a speaker at any given time.

Quote:
    Not an sq set up just want good sq speakers and tweets not interested in mids! And my sub is a fcking ia dp 18 with a memphis 4kw

mids ARE speakers.

beatle is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any reason why you would think that? It should put out 26w RMS per channel @ 4 ohms, 14.4v and 1&#37; THD, 20hz-20khz. That's the CEA-2006 standard. Now, I'm not kidding myself that it'll sound as clear as a dedicated class-A with great damping and ultra-low THD, but it's still 26w. I found a noticeable improvement coming from my old deck that was rated at 16w RMS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RMS power ratings really have nothing to do with what power you are seeing during normal listening. They are created using testing procedures that are like night and day when compared to popping in a CD and playing some music. Music rises and falls in volume and changes in frequency. Sometimes you are seeing a few of those watts. Occasionally when you reach a 'peak' you may see all 26 of them for a brief instant a few times per song. Even with a separate amplifier making decent power, say 100 watts/channel, at any given time you may be seeing about 15-20 of those watts. At other times, 50 or 60. For brief instances you may see that 100 watts. In both cases it's quite possible that 100&#37; of that wattage may never, ever actually be delivered if you never get anywhere near max volume. An amplifier isn't just beneficial due to a higher rms power rating but also because it delivers more clean power and better sound during normal listening than your head unit will. At times when your head unit is only giving you a few 'watts' your amp may be giving you 4-5 times that amount.

Really matching RMS ratings is of little use except for deciding exactly how much loudness you're looking for because you have to be able to deliver a certain amount of clean power at your normal listening levels in order to get a sufficient loudness to be able to appreciate the details in the music. It takes a doubling of power to get a 3db increase in loudness which has been determined to be the bare minimum that is perceptive to the human ear. Nobody thinks everyone who wants decent sound has to have amps and spend lots of money, but it's considered a waste to get good components and then limit their potential.

You may not have received lots of replies or advice to your other thread because others are tired of trying to convince people that they will be unhappy with such a setup and have decided that it's best to let people spend the money and find out for themselves. You may actually find that what you want to do will satisfy you but if you end up driving around with the head unit volume at 32 out of 35 90% of the time then you know you need an amp. There may or may not be components out there that will sound OK off of 26 watts, the issue being that most manufacturers find it easier to design an excellent component set that requires power than an excellent component set that requires very little. IF you want to give it a shot look for something with an rms rating of 50 or 60 watts and a high efficiency rating, like over 90db. I just think there is only so far you can go trying to make improvements off head unit power before you face diminishing returns.

And BTW I know a friend who used to compete using a separate amp on high end components in a Miata and I don't think there was a huge amount of custom work involved. IF you ever considered changing your mind I would ask him where he put his amp and relay that to you.
    Last edited by eharri3; 02-16-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Quote:

mids ARE speakers.

krisfnbz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

good info, but this thread if definitely off topic.

Yes that is a 5 1/4th audiobahn mid speaker in my civic's headrest. circa 2006.

2000 Celica GTS

Pioneer FH-X700BT
    Powerbass 2XL-60.3C 3 way
    Dayton Ultimax 15", sealed 4cuft
    Memphis 16-MC5.700 5 channel
    Knu wiring

Closed Thread