Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help understanding passive and active crossovers please

Jumbo Jet is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need help understanding passive and active crossovers please

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Rainbow Germs, but I keep reading about people bi-amping and running active crossovers and passive crossovers. Can someone please explain what this means ?

Am I correct to think that passive means I'd be using Rainbows crossovers and active means I'd be using two separate amps..... one for the mids and one for the tweeters, and not using Rainbows crossovers at all ?

And what is bi-amping ..... same thing?

Thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Need help understanding passive and active crossovers please

anyone ? Beuler ?

sexiewasd is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It sounds like your not very confused at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mtx1 View Post
    x2. when im upset i turn to midget ****. it puts the to things i like together,i love to laugh and blow a load
    Quote Originally Posted by \.../_METAL_\.../
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg, the phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tought slpeling was ipmorantt!

Adnan is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dont mean to hijhack the thread...i got a pair of visonik crossovers and they have 3 outputs
    1 for the tweeters 1 for the bass and 1 for midbass...does that mean i can run lets say
    a 1" tweeter a 4" midbass and 6.5" for bass?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sexiewasd View Post
    It sounds like your not very confused at all.
    Thanks, guess I was on the right track after all. I was kinda assuming thats what they meant but wanted to be sure since I keep seeing it everywhere on here. So bi-amping is the same thing then?

For now I'm going to run my Germs passive on the Rainbow crossover, save myself a few bucks from having to buy another amp.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You can technically bi-amp using the passive crossovers, but I don't see the point. As long as you have the channels needed, using the passives isn't worth it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hang on, right when I thought I had it... you threw me a curve ball. Do you mean I should leave the Germ's crossovers in the box and use a 300/4v2's channels as the crossovers. How would I wire that up...... channels 1 and 2 for the drivers and 3 and 4 for the tweeters ? Is that right?

I was considering buying a 300/2v2 instead of the 300/4, but it looks like if I go with the 300/4 (bridged) I'll have the same watts as the 300/2, but more expandability.

Sorry if I sound like a dope, this will be my first active hook up.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Jumbo Jet; 01-26-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you have the processing for full active, it might be worth it to run them active... by processing, i mean a good EQ, good crossovers, and time alignment per channel. Otherwise, i'd go ahead and just run them bridged, 2x150w into the passives. Especially if it's the difference between the woofers getting 50-60w vs. getting 130-150w.

Rainbow makes excellent crossovers for the germaniums; they're actually quite powerful. You can choose from 2 different crossover slopes and frequencies, for both the woofers and tweeters independently, which allows you to overlap or underlap your tweets/woofers as needed, and the tweeters have 4 different levels of attentuation - one of which employs a 2db/octave LOW pass crossover on your tweeters to help with direct on-axis mounting right up against the glass where high freq reflections can cause unnatural boosts in response.

The passives do eat some power, though. It really depends on your other equipment and your tuning skills as to whether you'd benefit from an active setup.

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

Closed Thread