Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Which 6 x 9's ?

69sixpackbee is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Which 6 x 9's ?

Hi all,
    Newbie here with a quick question. I am at a quandry about which speakers to go with. I blew the Pioneer 6 x 9's out and am going with a better brand this time. I have been looking between Infinity Kappa 693.9I or Polk Momo MMC690 speakers. I am driving them with a Performance Teknique ICBM-775. The current speakers are in the door bottoms of my '72 Chevy pickup, completely Dynamatted interior regions of the doors as well as cab. I have baffles around them as well to keep out the "cooties". I have Pioneer 6 1/2's in front and am running no sub. The HU is a Sony Xplod Ipod-ready unit, don't know the model off hand, but it is the previous version (last years) to the CDX-GT930UI. It has 4-volt pre-outs which is what I have driving the amp. The old Pioneers could'nt handle the thump that I was throwing at it as I even had it trimmed way down via the gains.
    I want to step up to a better quality speaker. I like the Kappa's because they are 2-ohm for a little more punch and even have the external crossovers (which I handle through the Amp trimmers anyway) and I have read the reviews about the Momo's as well being a top-notch performer.

Please help me to narrow it down.
    Thanx in advance for the help!

Bud Weaver

James Bang is offline Hand/Ear Coordination

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Which 6 x 9's ?

the only 6x9 i'll touch is the Image Dynamics XS69

69sixpackbee is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanx for that info but that is a little steep for my blood. Those cost more than my HU and amp combined. I'm not really an audiophile so I am cheap... If I was going all high-end then those would be on my list fo sho but I am just upgrading a "mediocre" setup.
    Thanx anyway!

Bud

headknocker is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The 690's sound outstanding...tight abundant midbass to go along crystal-clear mids and highs. The reviews don't lie. I know because I installed a pair in my wife's '07 FJ Cruiser last summer and they impressed me greatly for a set of 6x9's. I'm giving them only 80 watts per channel and that's more than enough to get them humming nicely.

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X589 HU
    Aura MR 6.1 comps
    Aura MR62 Integrated comps
    Ascendant Audio Arsenal 12(sealed in 1.2 cubes)
    US Acoustics USX-4065(65x4)
    PG Octane 8:0.1(600 watts x 1)

Closed Thread