Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Are there any decent 4x6" sets?

KoolDrew is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Suggestions on 6.5" component?

I drive a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire and in the front doors the speakers are 4x6" and in the rear 6x9". My current setup is Sony Xplodes in both locations so I'm looking to upgrade. I've already decided on getting a 12" Icon and Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D, but I'm unsure what to do about the rest of the setup. From the looks of it there really aren't that many options for 4x6" speakers that would be any better then my Sonys.

What would you guys suggest in my situation? I'm just trying to price everything together for the setup to get an idea of the price and make any adjustments to make it more affordable if need be.

EDIT - I've decided to just make adapters for a 6.5" comp set. So any suggestions? I've been looking around and found a few options. Most of the music I listen to is rap and other mainstream stuff, a little bit of rock here and there. So mid bass output is going to be important as I like to "feel" my music and I think I remember reading the feeling in your chest is all mid bass. I also want clear highs, as well as getting loud without being too expensive. I'm thinking around $200-$250 for the component set, maybe less depending on what everything adds up to in the end since I plan on replacing everything in my car except head unit and the 6x9"s in the rear right now.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 01-09-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Ridinhi is online now CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Are there any decent 4x6" sets?

I have a set of these:
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=10490
    Best Ive heard as far as the size and price. Ive used them for about 1 month if that. I have the original box and all. I had 50 watts going to them and the sounded pretty nice. Tweeter and mid both did their job with no problem at all. Im selling the set for $60.00 shipped if you are interested. Let me know.

Hoodlum007 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Image Dynamics CTX46 have to be the best sounding 4x6" speakers have heard.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After searching around a bit more I've been able to find adapters to fit either a 6.5" or 5.25" component set in my car. My car already has a separate mounting spot for a tweeter as well. So rather than going with a set of 4x6" speakers I'm going to go with a 6.5" component set and a small 100x2 amp to power them. Leaving the rear fill powered by the HU.

Now it's time to just try to find a good component set and amp.

boomzilla is offline Got 'Roids?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew View Post
    After searching around a bit more I've been able to find adapters to fit either a 6.5" or 5.25" component set in my car. My car already has a separate mounting spot for a tweeter as well. So rather than going with a set of 4x6" speakers I'm going to go with a 6.5" component set and a small 100x2 amp to power them. Leaving the rear fill powered by the HU.

Now it's time to just try to find a good component set and amp.
    Good idea, I went that route, and the 5.25'' components I put in blew any 4x6 I've had out of the water.

- 12'' Fi BL Fully Loaded - 2.2 cu. ft. box @ 35hz - 29 sq. in. of port - Stinger SPV 44 - Us Amps Merlin MD3D @ 2ohm - 5.25'' PG RSD Components - Big 3 in Hyperflex 1/0 - Pioneer DEH-3000IB - 140 sq. ft. of Stinger Roadkill Expert
    Refs: Slam, Ridinhi, Blados, Pioneerpimp, Kowboy

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boomzilla View Post
    Good idea, I went that route, and the 5.25'' components I put in blew any 4x6 I've had out of the water.
    Would going with a 6.5" component set be a better idea than a 5.25" set assuming I could get it to fit? I'm assuming the more cone area would give me a bit more mid bass?

Cpyder is offline Audiophile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would going with a 6.5" component set be a better idea than a 5.25" set assuming I could get it to fit? I'm assuming the more cone area would give me a bit more mid bass?
    You're correct. I'd say go as big as you can afford and fit for front speakers. I was in the same boat as you with my cavalier. (Pretty much the exact same car) I bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 4x6 plates. They sounded great but lacked bass/midbass. Eventually I purchased a pair of Polk SR6500s, cut the doors with a jigsaw to make them fit, made an MDF baffle, and they sound amazing!! One thing to worry about though, is mounting depth. My 6.5s clear the windows by millimeters.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have suggestions for a 6.5" component set? I've been looking around and found a few options. Most of the music I listen to is rap and other mainstream stuff, a little bit of rock here and there. So mid bass output is going to be important as I like to "feel" my music and I think I remember reading the feeling in your chest is all mid bass. I also want clear highs, as well as getting loud without being too expensive. I'm thinking around $200-$250 for the component set, maybe less depending on what everything adds up to in the end since I plan on replacing everything in my car except head unit and the 6x9"s in the rear right now.

Also, I think the depth I have to work with is about 2.5"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have suggestions for a 6.5" component set? I've been looking around and found a few options. Most of the music I listen to is rap and other mainstream stuff, a little bit of rock here and there. So mid bass output is going to be important as I like to "feel" my music and I think I remember reading the feeling in your chest is all mid bass. I also want clear highs, as well as getting loud without being too expensive. I'm thinking around $200-$250 for the component set, maybe less depending on what everything adds up to in the end since I plan on replacing everything in my car except head unit and the 6x9"s in the rear right now.

Also, I think the depth I have to work with is about 2.5"
    The SR6500s have a 2-9/16" mounting depth. The wood I used for the baffle was 5/8". It was a tight fit and its pushing out on the door panels but that's no big deal.

As for suggestions... I can't recommend too much because I haven't been around for as long as some of these guys, but the Hertz HSK 165 seems to be very welled liked by a lot of people in the 200 price range.

Check out what Phers1er did with a pair of hsk 165s in a cavy.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...&highlight=hsk

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no 4x6 is even worth bothering with imo

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by excelerater View Post
    no 4x6 is even worth bothering with imo
    That's why I've decided on making an adapter and getting a 6.5" component set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heard of them, but I don't know enough about them to make judgment. Check around for reviews of them.

Closed Thread