Closed Thread

Reload Thread: need some advice

surfahbum808 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

need some advice

I'm looking at upgrading my sound system in my car, and already have a deck and speakers in mind. I was wondering if it would be possible to just run the speakers off the deck with the sound quality still sounding pretty good. I'm not quite exactly sure how the whole RMS thing works either. Do you divide the total RMS output from the deck by the amount of speakers that you are running?

here's the deck and speakers I'm looking into right now.

Alpine CDA-9866

JL Audio TR525-CXi (5 1/4")
    > speakers
    JL Audio TR600-CXi (6 1/2")

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: need some advice

It sounds like you've got some nice speakers in mind. What's your budget so I can give you some more ideas.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

as of now its kind of low, but i should be working soon. I'm not looking to buy right now, but looking more for the future. I just need some advice on how to match a speaker to a deck. I also heard that you could power a speaker with an amp too, but am not too sure how to do that.

Optimus Prime, come sit here next to Megatron....we're gonna have a little chit-chat. I AM THE COBRA COMMANDER...BRRRRR I SAID NO COOKIES!!!!

NightDrifter05 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You can run them off the deck and it'll sound ok but nothing like it would on a amp. If you want good cheap amp's check in the classifieds or look into the profile amp's. You could probably get a decent 2 or 4 channel and wiring kit to hook it up for around $100-120 maybe less if you buy used. For the RMS thing if the deck says it does 15x4 RMS and you have 4 speakers then each speaker would see 15 watts RMS

Bought From: SPLChoice-, TypeRBass, JellyFish420, DWMan, wheeler8921, bumpin buick, 2002xlt, LBC99, brtnboarder3241, btdickey99, gearguy2001, donpisto, Freakish07, Alpineinstaller, budget76, 96MaxGLE, obrien202, mgeagles26
    Sold To: Tapout, bdawson72, djvi0lent, regal8r, sixfootman2005 (x2)
    Trades: TeamPSI, Integra2468

anj46907 is offline No Longer Truckin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by surfahbum808 View Post
    as of now its kind of low, but i should be working soon. I'm not looking to buy right now, but looking more for the future. I just need some advice on how to match a speaker to a deck. I also heard that you could power a speaker with an amp too, but am not too sure how to do that.
    just match the rms of the speaker to the rms of the output of the amp(or somehwat close) and shazzam. u can run them off the deck but ure not going to get the best sound and clarity unless you amp them, in my opinion anyway

anj46907 is offline No Longer Truckin

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anj46907 View Post
    just match the rms of the speaker to the rms of the output of the amp(or somehwat close) and shazzam. u can run them off the deck but ure not going to get the best sound and clarity unless you amp them, in my opinion anyway
    also so u know that doesnt mean get a 2000 watt sub amp to try and power them. ure looking for a decent 2 channel or 4 channel amp with the rms ure speakers need

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the advice, but just to clear things up, if each speaker runs at about 50 rms do i find an amp that runs at 4 channels and 200 rms? because it'll be transferred over 4 speakers, and 4 different channels? what do the amount of channels represent the amount of speakers you are connecting to it? sorry im new at all this audio stuff.

Optimus Prime, come sit here next to Megatron....we're gonna have a little chit-chat. I AM THE COBRA COMMANDER...BRRRRR I SAID NO COOKIES!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NightDrifter05 View Post
    You can run them off the deck and it'll sound ok but nothing like it would on a amp. If you want good cheap amp's check in the classifieds or look into the profile amp's. You could probably get a decent 2 or 4 channel and wiring kit to hook it up for around $100-120 maybe less if you buy used. For the RMS thing if the deck says it does 15x4 RMS and you have 4 speakers then each speaker would see 15 watts RMS
    ok, thanks for clearing the whole deck RMS up. What if i run them with a amp? if it's a say 200 watt amp at 4 channels, will each speaker get 50 rms?

Closed Thread