Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Rainbow SLC 6.5" Kick mid vs. Germ Mid

bose301s is offline I can break these cuffs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rainbow SLC 6.5" Kick mid vs. Germ Mid

Well, basically, which one is better. I know the Kicks are said to have more midbass and need a 80hz or higher high pass. I am wondering how the old Kickbass mid from the SLC 265 Kick set compares to the mid in the Germaniums. Does the Germ mid have the same amount of output, does it sound significantly better? I know the Germs are quite a bit higher up, but I do know the tweeter and crossovers are a substantial upgrade, so I am not sure how much better the mid is. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.klippel.de/download/Nonlin/Klippel_nonlinearity_poster.jpg

Car System:
    Stock for now

WhoSayWho? is offline Preston Caught a Predator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rainbow SLC 6.5" Kick mid vs. Germ Mid

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    Well, basically, which one is better. I know the Kicks are said to have more midbass and need a 80hz or higher high pass. I am wondering how the old Kickbass mid from the SLC 265 Kick set compares to the mid in the Germaniums. Does the Germ mid have the same amount of output, does it sound significantly better? I know the Germs are quite a bit higher up, but I do know the tweeter and crossovers are a substantial upgrade, so I am not sure how much better the mid is. Any help is appreciated.
    Well, I think you can cross off some of what you think you know if you go with the SLC NG's. They have really flexible crossovers and the tweets are the Cal 25's.

The Germ's may still be superior in those areas, but the gap is not as great as it once was. As to the mids, I dunno other than to say the SLC's will have a paper cone (I believe that is true of the kicks as well).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WhoSayWho? View Post
    Well, I think you can cross off some of what you think you know if you go with the SLC NG's. They have really flexible crossovers and the tweets are the Cal 25's.

The Germ's may still be superior in those areas, but the gap is not as great as it once was. As to the mids, I dunno other than to say the SLC's will have a paper cone (I believe that is true of the kicks as well).
    Ok, you misunderstood. I currently am running the SLC 265 Kicks, the older style before the new crossover and went with the Cal 25, I still have the older, smaller tweeter. The big thing is I want an upgrade from what I currently have and do want to go active some day and there is a pair of Germs in the FS section for a good price. What I am trying to do is gauge whether it would be worth the upgrade.

Car System:
    Stock for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, you misunderstood. I currently am running the SLC 265 Kicks, the older style before the new crossover and went with the Cal 25, I still have the older, smaller tweeter. The big thing is I want an upgrade from what I currently have and do want to go active some day and there is a pair of Germs in the FS section for a good price. What I am trying to do is gauge whether it would be worth the upgrade.
    Ah. Then ignore everything I said, lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah. Then ignore everything I said, lol.
    No problem then

Car System:
    Stock for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No problem then
    Actually, the only thing that I said that stands is that those tweets are very nice. And i think that the ones that come with the Germs are still a little better than the ones I have with the NG's.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Actually, the only thing that I said that stands is that those tweets are very nice. And i think that the ones that come with the Germs are still a little better than the ones I have with the NG's.
    Yea, they are called CAL 25 VOF, they are chambered which allows them to play lower than the standard CAL 25 that comes with the SLC series.

Car System:
    Stock for now

headless is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The germ cal-25's are ****ing nice. I like the 27's better, but the 25's were awesome. My power line cs upgrade was motivated by the woofers... the cal-25's were nice enough that i would have been perfectly happy to keep going with those

And the germanium woofers are nice. They are similar, but if the slc cones are made of paper, that'd be the primary difference, as the germanium cones are some kind of aluminum compound. Also. the germaniums mids have a copper short-cut ring in them which helps with distortion and makes the impedance more linear.\
    The cal-25's in the slc set are also ferrofluid cooled, apparently, but the cal-25's in the germaniums are not.

The germaniums are still a much nicer set. Now if you go up to the SAC, then you get the same aluminum compound cone w/ copper vented ring in the motor...that's closer, but you still have that cal25 with the ferrofluid cooling that isn't quite up to the cal-25vof , and the germanium woofers play lower.

Isn't that dude selling them for under 300? ****ing JUMP on it. I was happy to pay 450 for mine and sold them @ 350 if i recall correctly.

Eclipse CD7000 - RioCar Empeg 3
    Rainbow Powerline CS 275.27 / Arc Audio 4150 XXK (Woofers) - Arc Audio 2100 XXK (Tweeters)
    Rainbow Vanadium 12 x2 / Arc Audio 1500 XXK
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAM HAMMER
    Your so full of Crap! The last place you want a Midbass or Sub is in front of you Retard Whens the last time you seen a 12in+ sub up front?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdawson72
    Technically, bigger wire has more resistance.

filtor1 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

IMO, the Germ mids will own the SLC's. And yes, I have installed both and spent time listening and tuning both.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by headless View Post
    The germ cal-25's are ****ing nice. I like the 27's better, but the 25's were awesome. My power line cs upgrade was motivated by the woofers... the cal-25's were nice enough that i would have been perfectly happy to keep going with those

And the germanium woofers are nice. They are similar, but if the slc cones are made of paper, that'd be the primary difference, as the germanium cones are some kind of aluminum compound. Also. the germaniums mids have a copper short-cut ring in them which helps with distortion and makes the impedance more linear.\
    The cal-25's in the slc set are also ferrofluid cooled, apparently, but the cal-25's in the germaniums are not.

The germaniums are still a much nicer set. Now if you go up to the SAC, then you get the same aluminum compound cone w/ copper vented ring in the motor...that's closer, but you still have that cal25 with the ferrofluid cooling that isn't quite up to the cal-25vof , and the germanium woofers play lower.

Isn't that dude selling them for under 300? ****ing JUMP on it. I was happy to pay 450 for mine and sold them @ 350 if i recall correctly.
    Jumped on the Germaniums for $250

Car System:
    Stock for now

6spdcoupe is offline tends to get a bit cranky

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GREAT choice and even better price !

DVI-9990/TMI-M990/PXI-H990
    TRU Billet 2200 ..Dyn Esotar 1200
    TRU Billet 4100 ..Dyn Esotar110/Esotar430
    TRU Billet 4100 ..DYN MD182s

Refs:
    Way to many to list, seriously. I lost count when it passed 100

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
    GREAT choice and even better price !
    Yup, I loved my SLC 265 Kicks and decided to go for a known quantity in the Germaniums rather than a set from a company I have never heard in the HSK 165s.

Car System:
    Stock for now

Closed Thread