Reload Thread: Midrange questions.

Tek
    Tek is offline ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Midrange questions.

Ok Im running a 3.5" JL coaxs in the front of my car off the headunit with a 12k powered by a profile 600. I had some sony 6x9s in the rear deck, but because of some weird headunit problems they were only playing low frequencies and distorting like mad so I pulled them out, so no rear fill for a while. Well now the 3.5"s arent giving me enough sound for my likings (they're basically big tweeters lol) and I need something else. I think I'm going to put some midrange speakers in the back, would this be a good idea? Preferably I'd like to get some components but thats not gonna happen because of the 3.5" openings in the dash (**** YOU OLDSMOBILE!) and I dont want kick panels. Also, do midrange speakers have built in crossovers? Can I run em off the headunit? I've got a Pioneer amp that does like 50x2 rms so I could use that. What would be a good solution for around $100?

93 Oldsmobile Cutlass
    Headunit: Pioneer DEH 6400
    Speakers: JL Audio
    Subs: Elemental Designs 12" K
    Amps: Profile California 600
    Wiring: Scoshe/Phoenix Gold
    Encolsure: 1.5cf Ported Box tuned to 26 hz

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tek
    Ok Im running a 3.5" JL coaxs in the front of my car off the headunit with a 12k powered by a profile 600. I had some sony 6x9s in the rear deck, but because of some weird headunit problems they were only playing low frequencies and distorting like mad so I pulled them out, so no rear fill for a while. Well now the 3.5"s arent giving me enough sound for my likings (they're basically big tweeters lol) and I need something else. I think I'm going to put some midrange speakers in the back, would this be a good idea? Preferably I'd like to get some components but thats not gonna happen because of the 3.5" openings in the dash (**** YOU OLDSMOBILE!) and I dont want kick panels. Also, do midrange speakers have built in crossovers? Can I run em off the headunit? I've got a Pioneer amp that does like 50x2 rms so I could use that. What would be a good solution for around $100?

well...when your options are limited go w/ rear fill.....if ur gonna get mid ranges go ahead and get a comp set....gotta have some highs as well....and yes they should have a xover w/ them

Gauntlet is offline bulletproof

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What type of Olds do you have? Are your 6x9's 'mounted' with their little hanging bracket/magnet system?

"The world is full of people who want nothing short of perfect,
    but settle for less, blinded by their quest for purpose."
    - Slug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    i hate oldsmobiles......i have an 89 regency......has that big metal plate in the back behind the seat.....gonna have to remove that before i put in the K.......ohh well.....least the wife is letting me put a 15 in her car....lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddyd4me
    i hate oldsmobiles......i have an 89 regency......has that big metal plate in the back behind the seat.....gonna have to remove that before i put in the K.......ohh well.....least the wife is letting me put a 15 in her car....lol
    Are you talking about that X-shaped metal plate?

- Slug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet
    Are you talking about that X-shaped metal plate?
    no im talking about the big piece of like sheet metal they have right behind the seat.....sux ***

Tek
    Tek is offline ...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddyd4me
    no im talking about the big piece of like sheet metal they have right behind the seat.....sux ***
    Nope, don't have that, but I do have the basket thing as seen in this pic I took (ewww....those are the sonys that arent there anymore. http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showp...at=3038&page=1 )

93 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Nope, don't have that, but I do have the basket thing as seen in this pic I took (ewww....those are the sonys that arent there anymore. http://gallery.caraudio.com/pp/showp...at=3038&page=1 )

those things make installing the speakers so easy....loved those in my brothers cavalier......ohh well.....i have a solid piece of sheet metal where your x is on the back of the seat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks exactly like my trunk...are you gonna use the bracket, or make a MDF mounting ring for the new speakers? I did the latter, so if you need any pics/dimensions or anything, just let me know.

- Slug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet
    Looks exactly like my trunk...are you gonna use the bracket, or make a MDF mounting ring for the new speakers? I did the latter, so if you need any pics/dimensions or anything, just let me know.
    well i hate working on my wifes car....need to change the headlight.....not a simple pop it out and swap like all the others ive ever done.......requires taking like the front of the car apart.....hate that car.....but its a great car....heh....

Tek
    Tek is offline ...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yup taking out my headlight was a pain too. had to pull the whole grill off, and find every **** screw.

93 Oldsmobile Cutlass

willll is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    get some $35 tweeters at wal-mart, and wire them up to the 50wx2 amp which hopefully has a high pass filter, if not then you can get inline filters from bestbuy and most car audio shops for not a ton of money. the tweeters will give your highs some more sizzle, and you can crank them up a little with the amp gain when you are driving and you really want some deafening sound. the best way to mount would prolly be on the A-pillar with the little orb-shaped bracktet right up by your eyes. or you can flush mount them up in the dash and bounce the sound off the windshield. position the tweeters in different places before you mount them permanently to get the best sound. (you can adjust the tweeter for better sound-staging to some extent due to the spring loaded mount.) and by the way, why should you have to cater to the passengers in the back seat, take the speakers out of the rear deck and use the holes as bass ports! then you can cut out a hole where the arm-rest folds in and it will be wicked loud. unless you have to ride in the back seat on a regular basis, you shoud focus your system on the front seat, where you are sitting. if your tweeters are loud, then the people in the back seat will hear them.

maylar is offline Electrical Weenie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I LOVE my Olds!

Ok Im running a 3.5" JL coaxs in the front of my car off the headunit with a 12k powered by a profile 600. I had some sony 6x9s in the rear deck, but because of some weird headunit problems they were only playing low frequencies and distorting like mad so I pulled them out, so no rear fill for a while. Well now the 3.5"s arent giving me enough sound for my likings (they're basically big tweeters lol) and I need something else. I think I'm going to put some midrange speakers in the back, would this be a good idea? Preferably I'd like to get some components but thats not gonna happen because of the 3.5" openings in the dash
    You NEED to add front speakers. Either kick panels, or do what I did and find a spot in the front doors...

A nice set of 5.25" coaxials on that 50 watt amp would make a world of difference.

(**** YOU OLDSMOBILE!) and I dont want kick panels.
    Yo' mamma.

ps I don't want kicks either, because they'd get in the way of the emergency brake pedal. But I'll probably end up putting tweeters in them eventually...

dave
    ----------
    1999 Buick Park Ave Ultra
    Head Unit: JVC KWHDR720
    EQ: Audiocontrol EQL
    Front Stage: Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine 5.25 mids, Morel Maximo tweets
    Sub Stage: Boston G3 10", 0.5 cu ft sealed
    Amp: PPI Phantom 900.4
    Rear Fill: Boston SE953 6X9's

Closed Thread