Reload Thread: alumapro alc's... or no?

awestone05 is offline Awe-Inspiring

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alumapro alc's... or no?

i'm just getting started with my first car stereo and i'm about ready to purchase some components. so far i have an alpine cda-7998 and an alpine mrv-t420. i'm going for sq, so i'll put components in kicks up front and probably a 12 in. sub in the back. as far as a budget... i don't make much, but i'm stupid, so that compensates a little. i first thought i wanted a pair of cdt eurosports, but now i'm not so sure. i read a little about these alumapro alc components and i wondered if they will be similar sound quality. i don't have the benefit of living in a big city (or even anywhere near one), and i can't find anyone that deals in any of these top quality speakers, so listening to them myself really isn't an option. i know that's the best way to find what's right for you, but i can't really do anything about it. so, if someone could just let me know whether it'd be smart to save some money and buy the alumapros, or whether they don't even compare to the top of the line cdt, focal, rainbow, etc... thanks!

spyd3r is offline drunken polak

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey

I see you did your homework. The alumapro's alc components are a very SQ oriented driver set. I just got mine a few weeks ago and am loving them. I personally heard a lot of speakers and the alc's seemed to complement the music i listen best and simply did what most speakers can't. They have a very diverse handling. They hit screechin highs answell as hard midbass in all types of music.

I've had a pair of cdt eurosports and I liked them....alot, but just liked the sound of the alc's better. I also heard the focal utopias and they have very good SQ aswell.

And one more thing. If you do decide to get the alc's , they are made to work off axis in an inffinte baffle. So putting them in sealed kicks would be pointless. The midbass sounds a bit muddy when its sealed.

The alc's are definetly a steal. They compare and exceed some comps that price over a grand. If you decide to go with them I think yhou will be satisfied. Just make sure you use a nice SQ amp. Im currently saving some $$$ to get myslef a diamond audio D7 for these.

BTW: I listen to alernative metal and the sort...... Tool, Kyuss, QTSA, APC, Peach, NIN, godsmack, mudvayne, and anything i feel is worthwhile just so you have an idea what my musical preference is when I listen to speakers.

Sound quality enthusiast with a Silver GTI VR6

*Eclipse ecp 416 *Diamond Audio D7054 *D7152 *Diamond Audio Hex 10" *phazeaudio/studio_drivers/alumapro dual mid 6.5's alc compoenents

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now i got a few more questions...

i drive a 98 civic ex, and it comes with a stock component system where the mids are down in the door next to your feet and the tweets are in the sail panels. so, if i went with the alcs, would i want to mount them in place of the stock set, or would that hurt sq since the mids are like 2 ft. away from the tweeters. i'm glad i didn't go ahead and buy the kicks, cause sounds like i might not need them. any help with mounting location would be great. thanks!

oh yeah... two more q's... where can i buy alumapro online? is there anywhere you know of off the top of your head? my other question is, are the alchemy's something i might consider for a sq 12 in.? cause i also have to make that decision, and i'm bouncing all over between shiva, ed K (maybe O), type r, idq... etc. i wish i could just hear all of these... that would be nice

anyways, thanks for the help!!

MikeofTulsa is offline The one and Only!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by awestone05
    now i got a few more questions...

i drive a 98 civic ex, and it comes with a stock component system where the mids are down in the door next to your feet and the tweets are in the sail panels. so, if i went with the alcs, would i want to mount them in place of the stock set, or would that hurt sq since the mids are like 2 ft. away from the tweeters. i'm glad i didn't go ahead and buy the kicks, cause sounds like i might not need them. any help with mounting location would be great. thanks!

oh yeah... two more q's... where can i buy alumapro online? is there anywhere you know of off the top of your head? my other question is, are the alchemy's something i might consider for a sq 12 in.? cause i also have to make that decision, and i'm bouncing all over between shiva, ed K (maybe O), type r, idq... etc. i wish i could just hear all of these... that would be nice

anyways, thanks for the help!!

ok...kick panels are the best location for the best imaging.....but if u dont have the space then go w/ the factory locations........not sure about online.....the alchemy's are some awesome sq subs....they dont get much attention on this forum .....not really sure why that is.....but.....i'd go either alchemy sub or shiva.....either way you'd be happy.....hope ive been of some help

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, i have the space for kicks, but will the alcs sound good in them? there was mention of the alcs being made to work off axis in an infinite baffle. he also said the midbass would be muddy in a sealed kickpanel. what's your take on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I played around with them quite a bit to get a good soundstage with pretty impressive imaging....and found that the a-pilar and door mounting worked the best.
    The tweets on the alc's are pretty inventive. They angel out alot when you use their mounting pieces. So it leaves you alot of options for tweaking the sound.

I think the midbass driver does exceptionaly well in stock locations. Just slightly modified...the mounting was brought out to be even with the door panel on my car using some mdf rings...then simply mounted the speakers on the outside of the panel. Some sound deadning is nice aswell...but that depends on each car. Im currently looking for some panels for my car at junkyards.....( need to find some with the spots for the powerwindow motors for my VW Golf VR6 ) and will angel the midbass speaker by making some angel mounting pods for them.

As for a sub.... if you want great sq, take a look at edesign's A series. They're a good bargin aswell. Check out Morel subs too. (don't get ripped by gettin a morel USA...its not the same as the real morel ) Eclipse aluminums or diamond auio hex's (if you can find these on ebay) are some you might be interested aswell.

I know I might get flamed for saying this on these boards....but I still believe you get better SQ by using 10" subs. I know everyone says that the newer subs these days have terrific motors ...and a 15" has the same energized sound as a 10", but if your looking for SQ then a 10" will handle all the duties of covering the lows......and will save you some cash on the driver itself and the space and power needed to run these larger subs.
    Just my $0.02.

But if you desperatly need to put out some SPL , then go no larger than 12". And porting the sub does not hurt the SQ of the driver too much either... If you tune a box to 25-30Hz you can save some power and get loud while maintaining a good amount of SQ.

And as for buying the alc's online, I haven't seen any at this point. I think alumapro has been cut by its parent company and is establishing it self as a independant company. You can try ebay. But I recommend for you trying to find a dealer nearest you and if he's too far for you to get to him....Im sure a dealer would be more than glad to ship them to you.

*Eclipse ecp 416 *Diamond Audio D7054 *D7152 *Diamond Audio Hex 10" *phazeaudio/studio_drivers/alumapro dual mid 6.5's alc compoenents

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for kickpanles being the best for imaging ....I have to disagree. In most cases they will probably be best, but if you know what your doing you can acheive equal or better results mounting tweets seperate from your mid speaker. I know its usually better to have your soundstage as wide as possible....thus setting your speakers furthest away in kicks , but the designers of these speaker took the off axis and locations of a normal car speaker location under consideration.
    Take a look at the Adire koda's component set. They too are meant to be used in an infinite baffle and set off axis. Yet most people tend to ignore this fact and throw them into kicks, just because they think its a must for imaging. I know kickpanels have a place in SQ, but just in certain cases. In the case of these components, the tweeter placement is crucial, will determine position of the soundstage in a car.

And as I said before, I talked to reps from alumapro about the mids, and tested it out myself. The mids are made to be off axis and perform in an infinite baffle type of enclosure. Unless he plans on making some open backed kicks ( don't get the Q-logics...imaging isn't very good on them) then the mid will not perfrom aswell.
    So if you plan on mounting them in your door , you will get best results. Ofcourse theres a few things that you might want to do to prepare the door mounting locaton too.
    I menetioned before, angleing the mids by creating fiberglass pods will probably help SQ, and reinforcing the door mounting spots with mdf rings or the like is a good idea too.
    Last edited by spyd3r; 07-07-2003 at 12:45 AM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's alright, you don't need to go too in depth, i've already read your previous post on these comps. you've been a lot of help already, thanks a ton!! i'm sure i'll be asking plenty more questions the next few days to keep you guys busy

Closed Thread