Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

components without subwoofer

I have around a $300 budget for a great pair of 6.5" or bigger comps to be run without a subwoofer. I would like to get as much of a full range sound and I can since I don't have the space for a decent sub setup.

I was looking at the Pioneer TS-C720PRS which can be had for $250 shipped off eBay.

Here is a link to them:

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...prs/index.html

I've also though about Rainbow SLC's, but have decided to go a different route.

Any other suggestions?

Fusion_FREAK is offline Story of My Life...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: components without subwoofer

A friend of mine has them, and I love them. LOTS of midbass, and super clear sound. Too expensive for me right now though.

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

staying passive or could you go active?

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

lsufan778 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    staying passive or could you go active?
    I could definitely go active if need be.

I have two 2-channel amps. I guess I could daisy chain them together and use one for highs and the other for mid/midbass. Of course I'd need crossovers too. Do you think this would work? I've never done an active setup before.
    Last edited by lsufan778; 08-04-2008 at 08:12 PM. Reason: clarity

redcalimp5 is offline Loud 'N Clear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'd start out with the Pioneer TS-C720PRS set passive, first, if you've never done an active setup. Enjoy it for a while, and do some more research on what it takes to go active with your gear and what's involved, and then if you decide you still want to try it down the road, you'll be more educated on how to go about it.

Going active can be really frustrating for some people if you rush into it without knowing what you're really getting into. The Pioneer TS-C720PRS set has gotten great reviews, even run passive. Might as well enjoy it for a while, and change it up later if you feel like it.

Alpine~Rainbow

Refs~
    6spdcoupe, mlstrass, kmanian, F150Truck'in, PremierAudio, jblayz1, dbrown, BoondockSaints, jacka, flava30, hessdawg, ebrunn, JayRich, Blinkdogo2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i was gonna recommend active cause that would let you grab a pair of 8's and a pair of tweeters that can be crossed low so you can run the 8's.

if you wanna go sub-less and still reach down low while in a moving car you'll need at least 8's.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redcalimp5 View Post
    I'd start out with the Pioneer TS-C720PRS set passive, first, if you've never done an active setup. Enjoy it for a while, and do some more research on what it takes to go active with your gear and what's involved, and then if you decide you still want to try it down the road, you'll be more educated on how to go about it.

Going active can be really frustrating for some people if you rush into it without knowing what you're really getting into. The Pioneer TS-C720PRS set has gotten great reviews, even run passive. Might as well enjoy it for a while, and change it up later if you feel like it.
    Sounds like good advice. Do you think I'd be happy with this set w/o a subwoofer. I'm definitely not a bass head, but I'm still not fond of a system with absolutely no low end. I would be pushing around 200 watts aside so they should get down, I presume?

redcalimp5 is offline Loud 'N Clear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsufan778 View Post
    Sounds like good advice. Do you think I'd be happy with this set w/o a subwoofer. I'm definitely not a bass head, but I'm still not fond of a system with absolutely no low end. I would be pushing around 200 watts aside so they should get down, I presume?
    Yeah man, from what I've been reading on the forums about those, for their price and for being a passive 2 way set, they're hard to beat comparatively, especially in the midbass department. I've actually thought about trying a set of just those mids before, but I'm stuck on my Rainbow gear.

The really important thing to remember if you get this set and you don't run a sub(s) is to deaden the HELL outta your doors.....this will make a huge difference in the midbass output.

Alpine~Rainbow

Refs~
    6spdcoupe, mlstrass, kmanian, F150Truck'in, PremierAudio, jblayz1, dbrown, BoondockSaints, jacka, flava30, hessdawg, ebrunn, JayRich, Blinkdogo2

SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

What kind of vehicle is this going in? An infinite baffle with a pair of 8's or a 10 could also be an option.

Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i was gonna recommend active cause that would let you grab a pair of 8's and a pair of tweeters that can be crossed low so you can run the 8's.

if you wanna go sub-less and still reach down low while in a moving car you'll need at least 8's.
    Not sure if I could fit 8's w/o a good bit of modification and/or kickpanels. I'm considering adding a sub later though, just wanted to get the front stage straightened out for now. Do you think those ID OEM 6.5" mids will get down?

Yeah man, from what I've been reading on the forums about those, for their price and for being a passive 2 way set, they're hard to beat comparatively, especially in the midbass department. I've actually thought about trying a set of just those mids before, but I'm stuck on my Rainbow gear.

The really important thing to remember if you get this set and you don't run a sub(s) is to deaden the HELL outta your doors.....this will make a huge difference in the midbass output.
    Yeah I'm definitely going to be doing a good deal of deadening no matter which route I go. Raamat is around $120 bucks for a roll of 62.5 ft^2. More than 30 ft^2 per door will probably be overkill, but we'll see.

What kind of vehicle is this going in? An infinite baffle with a pair of 8's or a 10 could also be an option.
    This will be going in a 2001 Tacoma double cab. There is absolutely no space behind the back seat. The most I could possibly do would be a pair of very shallow 8's.

However...

At the moment I have two 2-channel amps that do 45wrms x 2 @ 4ohm and around 180wrms bridged @ 4ohm. So if I do comps and a sub, I'll be way underpowered w/o another amp. But if I run passive comps, I can daisy chain the amps and give each side 180wrms (I think you can do this).

If I go active, I'll only be giving the mids 45wrms and the highs 45wrms.

Side question: Does anyone know if the daisy thing is possible with the front stage. Will I run into any problems powering the speakers this way?

Whew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsufan778 View Post
    Not sure if I could fit 8's w/o a good bit of modification and/or kickpanels. I'm considering adding a sub later though, just wanted to get the front stage straightened out for now. Do you think those ID OEM 6.5" mids will get down?

Yeah I'm definitely going to be doing a good deal of deadening no matter which route I go. Raamat is around $120 bucks for a roll of 62.5 ft^2. More than 30 ft^2 per door will probably be overkill, but we'll see.

This will be going in a 2001 Tacoma double cab. There is absolutely no space behind the back seat. The most I could possibly do would be a pair of very shallow 8's.

However...

At the moment I have two 2-channel amps that do 45wrms x 2 @ 4ohm and around 180wrms bridged @ 4ohm. So if I do comps and a sub, I'll be way underpowered w/o another amp. But if I run passive comps, I can daisy chain the amps and give each side 180wrms (I think you can do this).

If I go active, I'll only be giving the mids 45wrms and the highs 45wrms.

Side question: Does anyone know if the daisy thing is possible with the front stage. Will I run into any problems powering the speakers this way?

Whew.
    i won't have mine for a week, but from what others are saying they dig pretty deep.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i won't have mine for a week, but from what others are saying they dig pretty deep.
    I guess i could do these active with a Seas Neo tweet. That guy on diymobileaudio.com is selling the ID's for $90 shipped?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yea, they would work well with a lot of tweets. but yea, the seas neo's are good and inexpensive.

hessdawg is selling them there and has a FS thread on here as well.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

yea, they would work well with a lot of tweets. but yea, the seas neo's are good and inexpensive.

hessdawg is selling them there and has a FS thread on here as well.
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

dsblk93gt is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My OZ 180cs 6.5 woofers really sounded awesome without a sub, getting around 100rms per side in a well sealed door.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List