User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Do comps really make a difference?

red9250 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do comps really make a difference?

The way my car is set up there is no way I can mount the midbasses at the proper angle, but I will be able to mount the tweeters at the right angle for imaging. My front speakers (6.5 coaxials) are at the very bottom of the front doors right by my feet right now. they sound a lot better when I put my head down right by my center console as low as I can go. If I mount the tweeters higher, pointing in the right direction, will I notice a big difference in the sound? OR will I need the tweeters and midbasses at the right angle for a noticeable difference? Answer that if you can make any sense of it. Thanks

denim is offline SSAudio.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if I read you right, I would not put the tweeters too far away from the mid, because reccomended is about 7-8" max I think, but did you consider kick panels, they would have the best imaging

CarAudio.com mod(original)

outbacksport is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only way you will know where to put your tweeters is when
    your installing it and trying different locations in your car.
    Use double face tape on the back of your tweeters for temporary
    mounting. It really depends on what comps your buying and
    your taste in music. Some ppl like it up high on the dash or a pillars,
    some want it low near the mids on the door or on a kick panel.

bri487 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mount them low and drive laying down. that is what my lazy *** would do.

burtonsnow83 is offline shred the gnar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by denim
    well if I read you right, I would not put the tweeters too far away from the mid, because reccomended is about 7-8" max I think, but did you consider kick panels, they would have the best imaging
    my comps didnt say anything about keeping the midbass and tweeter closer together, mine are about 2-3 feet apart, does it really make that much difference?

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/burtonsnow83

148.1 on the dash(rangerman's mic)

H/U -Alpine cda-9815
    Comps- CDT Cl61a
    Sub- 2 edk 12.44
    amps- Avionixx AXT 800.2
    Us acoustics usx2080
    box - 2 cubes each at 33 hz
    wiring-knukonceptz

All in an 02 xterra

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by burtonsnow83
    my comps didnt say anything about keeping the midbass and tweeter closer together, mine are about 2-3 feet apart, does it really make that much difference?
    yes it makes a difference in Imageing

ngsm13 is offline BSEE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by denim
    yes it makes a difference in Imageing
    my mids are in my door...and the tweeters are by the dash...so maybe 2 feet away...what makes the difference??? delay?? could i use time correction on my alpine HU? is it THAT big of a notcieable difference? I think mine sound **** good...and am very pleased with them. peace

NG

http://crunktimes.com/ct/
    nG - BSEE

JaJay721 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference with component speakers and a full range speaker and a tweeter is that component speakers compliment each other to produce sound. They receive one signal and distribute it between the components. If you seperate a component you will be moving the sounds away from each other. The ear can pick out where mids and especially where highs are coming from. If you have a half signal in one spot and a half signal in another your ear can tell and it will hurt SQ. It is possible to mount the component tweeter away from the mid if you know what you're doing. If not, it's best to keep it close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JaJay721
    The difference with component speakers and a full range speaker and a tweeter is that component speakers compliment each other to produce sound. They receive one signal and distribute it between the components. If you seperate a component you will be moving the sounds away from each other. The ear can pick out where mids and especially where highs are coming from. If you have a half signal in one spot and a half signal in another your ear can tell and it will hurt SQ. It is possible to mount the component tweeter away from the mid if you know what you're doing. If not, it's best to keep it close.
    beat me too it

spyd3r is offline drunken polak

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kickpanels are nice....but I have gotten better imagining using the a-pilars in my car.
    There are a few tricks to get optimal imaging with tweets furhter away from your mids.

If your using the crossover your comps came with......you might want to lower them about 2db's. (when mounting them close to your head...sometimes)
    If your using a bi-amplified setup...I don't think you need any advice from me .

Another thing to keep in mind with mounting the tweets in the a-pilar is to have them angled correctly. Realize that sound waves bounce off surfaces...especially your windshield. If you angel your tweeters to face each other...then slightly angel them towards the front windshield .. (2-3 degrees) you will get a little umff in the highs thx to sound reflection

And when your looking for spot for the tweets don't pick any stupid spots....like the pilar behind the front seats. You want to keep the mid and the tweeters as close to the same Y-axis as possible.

BTW.... If your fairly good in glassing try and make a pair of kickpanels and see what you like better. Having a wider soundstage isn't a bad thing either,,,
    Its all about compramising your sound quality in a car......not the most friendly enviorment for SQ

Sound quality enthusiast with a Silver GTI VR6

*Eclipse ecp 416 *Diamond Audio D7054 *D7152 *Diamond Audio Hex 10" *phazeaudio/studio_drivers/alumapro dual mid 6.5's alc compoenents

Closed Thread