Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Front stage help

tsenfw is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Front stage help

Also posted this at DIYMA, CA move so much faster though.

My Pioneer TS-C160R (rev) mids are crapping out on me and I need to decide on some new mids but have no idea what to get. I was looking at daytons on partsexpress but again, i have not idea on the parameters.

Current setup in my closed trunk mustang:
    Alpine 9887 running active, gains set by ear
    JL 300/4 running front stage (approx 75 - 95w)
    Directed audio D2400 for sub (approx 1200w)
    12" SI 2nd gen mag in a 2.0cu ft ported enclosure approx 34hz tuning
    Pioneer TS-C160R (rev) components - tweeters in sails on axis - deadened doors

Last configuration used, REV's factory crossover point is 5k:
    Sub low passed at 63hz 18db slope
    Mid high pass messed with around 80hz-100hz 18db slope
    Mid low pass 3200hz 24db slope
    Tweets high pass 5k 24db slope

I'm having horrible problems with one of my mids, I it's a tinsel issue. I have troubleshot, resoldered, rechecked, reinstalled, many times but this mid always stops working after a few minutes of high volume. The other one just started cutting out also so I'm in the market for new mids.

I listen to mostly rock, classic rock, metal, and death metal. Little rap and hip hop every once in a while. I love hard hitting bass, double bass, and loud music, but find myself more interested in Sound quality side of things more and more everyday.

My problem is, I do not know what models of mids I should be looking at. The pioneer tweet, which I'm not exactly in love with, but is decent, crosses at 5k. I was happy with the rev's clarity but it seemed like they lacked midbass slightly and started to distort (as well as harsh highs) at higher volumes. So basically I need mids that will play near 5k or I need new mids and tweeters. Sorry for the long winded story! I'd appreciate any help!

CLIFFNOTES:
    A.)Help me find decent reasonable price mids to match my 5k crossed tweeters.

or

B.)Help me find decent reasonable price mids and tweeters that will work well with my current active setup (75-95w per channel).

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Front stage help

Considering those ID OEM drivers for sale in our classified section for $90 shipped. Looks like I need new tweets no matter what.

BEAVER.989 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The ID mids seem like a helluva bargain, but you're right... you'll need a much more capable tweeter... either the Neo's or a large format, maybe?

Alpine CDA-9887 - PG Xenon 100.4 - PG Xenon 600.1 - IDQ10V3(1.3cft. @ 28hz) - Polk SR6501 mids - Seas Neo's - Knuconceptz - RAAMAudio
    Common sense is far from common.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BEAVER.989 View Post
    The ID mids seem like a helluva bargain, but you're right... you'll need a much more capable tweeter... either the Neo's or a large format, maybe?
    Cool, seemed like people were praising them. Could you elaborate on the tweets? Like brand names, models and/or links? Really unfamiliar with tweeters and their differences. Are ribbon tweeters ridiculously high end?

BEAVER.989 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't like the idea of running ribbons in a car... too fragile.

If you're trying to keep the tweeters in the sails where you currently have them, stick to a small format tweeter such as the Seas Neo (Aluminum or Textile) which is able to be crossed low.

Look for something with Fs between 1000 and 1500... The lower it is, the lower you'll be able to cross over.

Alpine CDA-9887 - PG Xenon 100.4 - PG Xenon 600.1 - IDQ10V3(1.3cft. @ 28hz) - Polk SR6501 mids - Seas Neo's - Knuconceptz - RAAMAudio
    Common sense is far from common.

Closed Thread