Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 6 or 6 coaxials with good bass?

kr580 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

6 or 6 coaxials with good bass?

I just bought an old 94 Saturn SL1 and would like to upgrade the stereo system. I don't have much of a budget at the moment so I'm just starting small.

Right now it has a Kenwood KDC-215S deck and four Pioneer TS-G1640R speakers from the previous owner.

I'm going to go with the Kenwood KDC-MP438U for the deck upgrade.

As for the speakers, the current Pioneers are alright aside from the very wimpy bass that comes from them. I need some speakers with a little more bass. Can anyone suggest some 6 or 6 coaxial speakers under ~$70/pair that have some good bass? These speakers will be running off the HU's power and there is no subwoofer in the picture.

Crutchfield has a "Buy a Kenwood HU + 2 pair Kenwood Speakers, get $50 off" deal. Are either of these Kenwood speakers any good by chance? Getting a speaker set free is always welcome.

KFC-C1739ie: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...x?i=113KFC1739
    KFC-1682ie: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...x?i=113KFC1682

Thanks much in advance!
    - Kevin

1549 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 6 or 6 coaxials with good bass?

I dont have any experience with the deck or the speakers you have listed. I think that any newer name brand deck (NO! not dual! bad! stay away from walmart! ) would be fine since you are just looking for an upgrade and not a huge high-end stereo.

as far as the speakers go, the nice thing about crutchfield is that there isnt any craptastic products there- the review and rating system means that you can usually choose a speaker/deck/whatever in your price range that quite a few people have written little reports about. you might try talking to a sales rep and asking them if you could exchange speakers until you find one you like in your price range. granted ive spent probably five grand with em over the years, but when I put my home theater system together, the sales rep literally sent me four different sets of speakers, two subwoofers, and two recievers all with RMA tags so that I got to take everything out and set it up and do side by side comparisons. I kept what sounded good and sent the rest back, and they charged me only for what I kept- no restocking fees, no shipping both ways. ask em about it.

on the flipside, go to woofersetc.com and check out what they've got. you dont get the free shipping, or the customer service of crutchfield. and returning a product there is an "if we feel like it, and we're gonna charge you" deal. but the prices are definitely worth comparing to crutchfield. some things are half the cost of the crutchfield price, some are about the same. good luck!

86yota is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To be honest, your not gonna be able to just slap some coaxs in there and expect great bass, especially off your head unit. Look into sound deadening your doors as well and amping your speakers!

sqhertz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

i got a pair of the new pioneer ts-d's (revs) and they are very nice coaxes. smooth tweeter , great bass response. even without having deadened doors they are loud. ran them off 30wrms a piece up to 60wrms and they only get louder. even off 30wrms they are loud enough but i would give them more if you had a bigger substage like i did when i had my Fi Q 15" off 1kw.
    even though i havnt heard much coaxes , id say they are one of the better sets you can buy. got mine off onlinecarstereo.com for $99 with free shipping , iirc.

- Ref.s -
    ssbogger , derek9087 , mike dressure , xluben , brocken , QtrHorse , marley1 , byoon001 , IonSQL , Duke , TheBaron929 , SiX , Andar , blackbonnie , SPLV , dbaudio , dillinja666 , 97cavy , dropkick13 , TeamPSI , foreman , integra88 , bangincaraudio , spinelli , gkatmar , MustangGT25YRS , stockgp , FASTIMES , ultimate157 , Reson8 , vitveet , req

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

meh to that stuff, pick up some components.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

reading > me. i didnt notice youll be running them off HU power... you can always get a smaller amp from somewhere like profileusa.com for less than $50 that will make them sing or even a used amp (if you dont mind that) from here on the forum. just remember - referances are used for a reason.

- Ref.s -
    ssbogger , derek9087 , mike dressure , xluben , brocken , QtrHorse , marley1 , byoon001 , IonSQL , Duke , TheBaron929 , SiX , Andar , blackbonnie , SPLV , dbaudio , dillinja666 , 97cavy , dropkick13 , TeamPSI , foreman , integra88 , bangincaraudio , spinelli , gkatmar , MustangGT25YRS , stockgp , FASTIMES , ultimate157 , Reson8 , vitveet , req

revrider1 is offline Hmmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like my Infinity Rererance off the HU, sound good

kr580 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I should have said I'm wondering what coaxials have the BEST bass I can get off the HU power. I'm certainly not expecting GREAT bass or anything (unless it exists) but there HAS to be some better speakers than what I have now. As 1549 said about the reviews, just about EVERY review of these speakers say the bass is extremely lacking and I agree.

As for the HU I'm upgrading it due to complete lack of features on my current one (new has MP3 CD, Aux, USB, better layout/usability, etc), and the possibility of upgrading (3 preamps, Bluetooth, CD changer)

As for the amp, I don't know anything about them other than the cheapest I've found is about $80 which I can't really afford at the moment. I suppose if someone can direct me to a cheaper solution I could look more into it.

Thanks again - Kevin

WhoSayWho? is offline Preston Caught a Predator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know how they would sound off of HU, but Memphis makes some decent coaxils.

Symon_say is offline You can't get me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pioneer revs, FTW

Car: 2006 MB E280
    HU: evaluation the options...
    Front Spk: evaluation the options...
    Amp: Alpine PDX-V9
    Sub: 2 10" Memphis Sclass

86yota is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have Memphis M Class coaxs off an amp and they sound great.. Look into Alpine Type-S as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

http://www.profilecaraudio.com/amplifiers.htm
    the ca200 or 200sx would be a great budget choice. they are refurbished , but ive never had a problem with mine when i got it from them...

- Ref.s -

Closed Thread