Closed Thread

Reload Thread: newbie buyer questions

jordand505 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

newbie buyer questions

Hi,

I'm gonna be installing some new speakers and I wanted some advice. I have about 600 to spend on receiver, 2 sets of speakers, and amp. I was gonna put 6.5" component in the front and 6x8's in back for fill. I'd probably run the back off the receiver and the components off amp. So I need a two channel amp right? with only about 200w peak? I listen to mostly rock and metal, so bass isn't big to me. later on I'd probably add a small (8" or 10" sub) on a dedicated amp, however I'm in a Ford Ranger so space is tight. What components should I get and what speaker sets should I buy for the back. I'm looking to spend 200 max on front and 150 max on back speakers. I'm gonna get a Alpine receiver for front, with I pod, so thats about 250. What amp should i get thats around 200 dollars and only needed for one set of components?

Fusion_FREAK is offline Story of My Life...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: newbie buyer questions

Check the classified section. There's a guy selling Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5's (VERY GOOD MIDS) for $85 shipped, and they're brand new in box. He wants like $95 shipped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321401

PM Silvercookie, he has a nice Alpine 4 channel that can be bridged to 2 channels, he wants $70 shipped.

jdc753 is offline Truck Brigade

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The classifieds can be a good place to get some good deals. Above advice is pretty good, you can do some research (best way to get good stuff, and on who you are buying from) on the Phoenix Gold RSD components. These received rave reviews and many compared them to components in the $500 range. For rear fill many will say its not necessary, actually probably even less necessary in such a small cabin, is your ranger extended cab or regular cab? Also you can most likely buy a very good set of brand new 6x8's for around $100. Another thing to consider if you really want to fill those holes in the back a standard 6.5 or 6.75 coax will give you better sound than the components but again I would recommend totally skipping the back stage and putting the money towards your HU, amp or front stage, especially in such a small truck.

Some good budget amps to look at if you want to buy new would be the Profile California series AP1000 powering a set of Phoenix Gold RSD's would be a nice budget combo.

Keep some money in budget for wiring a dash kit and a wiring harness for the HU, all could be gotten for around $60-80 or so purchased at best buy or wherever.

If you decide to buy used equipment from members here (great deals can be had) make sure you research the seller and check up on their feedback and their reference. Most will have refs listed in their signature and/or will have feedback posted. Most all of the equipment in my signature has been purchased on these forums with good success. Stick around and there is plenty to learn.

2005 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4
    -Work in Progress-
    HU: Alpine 9887 linked to 10.4" TS TruckPC
    Front Stage: Polk SR6500 Active
    Front Amp: Sundown Sax100.4
    Sub: Stereo Integrity Magnum V4 in the center console
    Sub amp: Sundown Saz-1500D

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

hemi=22s is offline I Pop Bottles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

buy the adapter off ebay for 6x8 to 6.5/5.25 they are 15 shipped and put some coaxs in the rear if u must have rear fill and you might wanna buy a 4 channel and just add the sub to the other channel later down the road if ur just doing a single 8 or 10 that way u got it

the rsds are great and thats a good price on em too
    and as mentioned above research before buying from someone for refs

FEEDBACK IN LINKS BELOW TOO BIG FOR SIG

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323932

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...28#post4856428
    sold: goose, krisfnbz, dubb designs, 2000gator(x2), oxsign, aesoj, viveet(X2),
    mike437,flossinon24s,mxracer591,riffyb, bsean63(x2),nycking23,bryce-man,fastimes(x2),
    boltpride, r-sosa,fusion_freak,siacarman,kcdc30
    prodgod, toasted1,newageking,nmbr1spt,projectnutz(P),DeViOu SoNe,
    traded with: davet, teddyunited, rockmo, spikee, rdaudioman1256, SPY

peas247 is offline Hookers on the Point

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_FREAK View Post
    Check the classified section. There's a guy selling Phoenix Gold RSD 6.5's (VERY GOOD MIDS) for $85 shipped, and they're brand new in box. He wants like $95 shipped.
    well are they $85 or $95??

refs - dumple(x2), banginexplorer, r/t pimp (x2), select127, joey2714, rollerdj, lincolntc690, psychoacoustics, mk_, boltpride, SHiZNiLTi, pr-festiva, emaxaudio, yunvme666, Coolwazabi, ssackett, JBGabriel, Mike465, avs20, siddle, DDbump, Andrizzle, SPY, gentlejax, Act Audio, bagged97tacoma ...............

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

95 asking price sure he will take a lil less i was gonna buy both off em but invested in 50 ft of 0 awg instead

mike437,flossinon24s,mxracer591,riffyb, bsean63(x2),nycking23,bryce-man,fastimes(x2),

jordand505 is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks guys, you are fast. good information. i'll be first to tell you i know next to nothing about car audio.

JDC: its an extended cab. I have little room cause i want to be able to still put at least a person in the back.

Another question. With a 4 channel amp, should i bridge the connections to run the fill speakers in the back? and run the components with 1 channel to each set? that leaving 1 channel left to add a sub in the future? how many watts amp should i buy for that setup if adding a sub to the amp?

from your guys' advice sounds like i can spend less than i originally thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well if u want run the rears off the rear for now and when u get ur sub bridge the sub on 2 channels and then run rear fill off the radio.
    leave the fronts hooked up normal on the other 2 channels dont change em

OR

find a 5 channel amp usually can find a good one for around 200 that have 4 channels for mids and 1 dedicated sub out this might be ur best bet just depends on budget really

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

good choice on the deck
    and u should be way under budget either pick up the sets of rsds from fs if he still has or go to ebay user audiosavings(.com) 85-100 per set
    get the adapter plates off ebay for 15 and put a set or 6.5 coaxsor even another set of rsds in there
    and buy a 5 channel to run it u can add the sub later or buy a nice 4 channel and add the sub amp with the sub
    go to knukonceptz.com for an amp kit good quality for a good price

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peas247 View Post
    well are they $85 or $95??
    My bad, was thinking about something else. Still, that's a great price, and they aren't made any more.

Closed Thread