Closed Thread

Reload Thread: why do people use tweeters...

burro breath is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 why do people use tweeters...

why do people use tweeters and not the higher quality compresion driver? have always been curious about this and personally have heard both and prefer the compresion driver due to its crips clean sound.

Lil Poot is offline you sturrin at me brah?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: why do people use tweeters...

dont compression drivers need a horn to do their thing? kind of a PITA to install horns.

Alpine W205/H701
    Revolution Design D9 - 2 AQ HDC3 18s
    Genesis Profile Four Ultra - Creative SDX7 mids, TBI HDSS tweets
    Iraggi 240a, Optima g34 YT, 3 C&D 134ah, 15.3v MLA module, 120 ft 1/0, 200 ft^2 RAAMmat

WTT/S - 2 HDC3 18s, RD HW 10, 880prs + ipod + 6 disc changer, Alumapro ALC6.2 Components, Zed built US Acoustics USA4050 + USA2200, Fisher Customs boxes

burro breath is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not always.. the jbl 075 i have in my room is a bullet compresion driver and cant be used with a horn. off of 20 watts rms it will go so loud that my ears start to feel as though someone is poking my inner ear with a needle.

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Audio Junkies is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.

thehardknoxlife is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Junkies View Post
    It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.
    .....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........

MrDave is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.

Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.

joetama is offline The British Ear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast1one View Post
    Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome
    Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers?

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Junkies View Post
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by thehardknoxlife View Post
    .....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........
    Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
    I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.

Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.
    Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.

BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy.

Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.

Slammed is offline Benny Lava

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

I miss my horns

Honda H/U - PG RSD65 - Seas Neo - Audiocontrol LC6 - Blaupunkt BX-01E - MTX 405 Amplifer - 03 E15K (32hz)

bose301s is offline I can break these cuffs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joetama View Post
    Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers?

Truth.

Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.

Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.

BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy.

Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.
    If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.

http://www.klippel.de/download/Nonlin/Klippel_nonlinearity_poster.jpg

Car System:
    Stock for now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.
    Well to clarify.

I thought about that when I posted. And here is my answer.

I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.

bose301s is offline I can break these cuffs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well to clarify.

I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.
    Pretty much my thoughts too.

http://www.klippel.de/download/Nonlin/Klippel_nonlinearity_poster.jpg

Car System:
    Stock for now

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well to clarify.

Truth...

The car audio environment has so many reflective surfaces that hard domes are usually fairly harsh...

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I try to think things out and speak the truth.

I guess it happens once in a while...

Closed Thread