Closed Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Reload Thread: why do people use tweeters...

  1. #1
    burro breath's Avatar
    burro breath is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon32 why do people use tweeters...

    why do people use tweeters and not the higher quality compresion driver? have always been curious about this and personally have heard both and prefer the compresion driver due to its crips clean sound.







  2. #2
    Lil Poot's Avatar
    Lil Poot is offline you sturrin at me brah?



    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,956
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    dont compression drivers need a horn to do their thing? kind of a PITA to install horns.



    Alpine W205/H701
    Revolution Design D9 - 2 AQ HDC3 18s
    Genesis Profile Four Ultra - Creative SDX7 mids, TBI HDSS tweets
    Iraggi 240a, Optima g34 YT, 3 C&D 134ah, 15.3v MLA module, 120 ft 1/0, 200 ft^2 RAAMmat


    WTT/S - 2 HDC3 18s, RD HW 10, 880prs + ipod + 6 disc changer, Alumapro ALC6.2 Components, Zed built US Acoustics USA4050 + USA2200, Fisher Customs boxes

  3. #3
    burro breath's Avatar
    burro breath is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    connecticut
    Posts
    352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    not always.. the jbl 075 i have in my room is a bullet compresion driver and cant be used with a horn. off of 20 watts rms it will go so loud that my ears start to feel as though someone is poking my inner ear with a needle.




  4. #4
    Fast1one's Avatar
    Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome



    References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

    Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

  5. #5
    Audio Junkies's Avatar
    Audio Junkies is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    369
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.




  6. #6
    thehardknoxlife's Avatar
    thehardknoxlife is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio Junkies View Post
    It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.
    .....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........




  7. #7
    MrDave's Avatar
    MrDave is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mahopac, NY
    Posts
    913
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.

    Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.




  8. #8
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fast1one View Post
    Its just preference, I prefer the sound of a soft fabric dome
    Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio Junkies View Post
    It's been done in cars, but compression horns are WAY overkill for most applications.
    Truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by thehardknoxlife View Post
    .....x2 and alot more expensive, They're also a ***** to tune. From my experience they need alot of EQing to blend well. I wouldn't even consider them unless I had at least 13 bands of EQ and a good x-over.........I'd save the expensive stuff for the home not the freeway........
    Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
    I'm in no way an authority in this field, but I'm pretty sure it's harder to keep horn's from going out of phase, and creating a lot of distortion. Most of the time horn's sound brighter because they don't disperse sound like tweeter's do. In a car setup, the dispersion of the tweeter is usually what helps create a sound stage and fills the cabin at the same time.

    Do horn's have their advantages, yes. It's just that a car may not be their best application.
    Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.




    BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy.

    Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.







  9. #9
    Slammed's Avatar
    Slammed is offline Benny Lava



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Gotham City, NY
    Age
    33
    Posts
    29,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    I miss my horns





    Honda H/U - PG RSD65 - Seas Neo - Audiocontrol LC6 - Blaupunkt BX-01E - MTX 405 Amplifer - 03 E15K (32hz)

  10. #10
    bose301s's Avatar
    bose301s is offline I can break these cuffs



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,974
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    Quote Originally Posted by joetama View Post
    Me too... Want to be SD Tweeter brothers?



    Truth.



    Indeed. Because of the space confinements and the use of the dash as an extension no horns in a car are going to be like.



    Horns actually naturally amplify the sound. Which is inherent to distortion. There are a lot of low distortion horns but they cost the big bucks.




    BTW, you don't have a "compression driver" if you have a "Bullet Tweeter". They are two different things. And bullet tweeter usually sound pretty crappy.

    Also, they probably sound good to you because they have a higher level of distortion. Which some people actually find pleasing.
    If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.



    http://www.klippel.de/download/Nonlin/Klippel_nonlinearity_poster.jpg

    Car System:
    Stock for now

  11. #11
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    If you like soft domes why do you like B&W speakers, I don't think B&W makes a soft dome. I think hard domes are definitely better for home use though.
    Well to clarify.

    I thought about that when I posted. And here is my answer.

    I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

    However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.







  12. #12
    bose301s's Avatar
    bose301s is offline I can break these cuffs



    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,974
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    Quote Originally Posted by joetama View Post
    Well to clarify.

    I thought about that when I posted. And here is my answer.

    I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

    However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.
    Pretty much my thoughts too.



    http://www.klippel.de/download/Nonlin/Klippel_nonlinearity_poster.jpg

    Car System:
    Stock for now

  13. #13
    Fast1one's Avatar
    Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    Quote Originally Posted by joetama View Post
    Well to clarify.

    I thought about that when I posted. And here is my answer.

    I like soft domes in my Car and DIY projects. Mostly because it is super easy to get a very smooth sound out of them with out being harsh or sharp sounding.

    However, in manufactured speakers inwhich the designer knows a lot more than me. I tend to like aluminum or alloy tweeters. Like the B&W tweeters. But, I will always have a softspot for vintage B&W silk domes. AKA DM330i tweeters.
    Truth...

    The car audio environment has so many reflective surfaces that hard domes are usually fairly harsh...



    References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

    Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

  14. #14
    joetama's Avatar
    joetama is offline The British Ear



    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    15,306
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: why do people use tweeters...

    I try to think things out and speak the truth.

    I guess it happens once in a while...







Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum