Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Audio newbie in need of some speaker selection help

section8 is offline Will work for tires

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Audio newbie in need of some speaker selection help

Hi guys - Just joined a few days ago and I've been reading up as much as I can in my off time but I still need some help.

I just picked up a 99 Miata that has the stock Bose POS system in it. I bought this car to drive daily because it gets 30mpg (suburban was killing me @ 16). I drive 90miles a day to/from work so I need music. Add to that the bose system ***** and has a blown passenger speaker.

Anyway - I'm looking for some decent 6.5" componets to go with the Clarion HU and Alpine amp i plan on putting in the car. My problem is the only thing in the way of an 'audio' shop i seem to have around me to listen to speakers is Best buy and Circuit city. No thanks.

My budget is around $300 - I listen to just about everything but country music but mainly rock, classic rock, some pop and classical.

thevic24 is offline my silence is deadly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Audio newbie in need of some speaker selection help

jl has a nice entry-level set that is a true 6.5" set. they cost around $200 new but you can get them cheaper on line. also look to mb quart exp or the discus. i run the discus in my truck and am very happy with them. i also run quarts along with the jl 6.5's in my wifes car and am happy with thoes as well.

hairbandlover is offline AC/DC RULES

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I listen to much of the same as you, I have CDT Audio CL series (entry level) and they rock! Send Exige a PM on here he is a dealer and has great pricing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by section8 View Post
    Hi guys - Just joined a few days ago and I've been reading up as much as I can in my off time but I still need some help.

I just picked up a 99 Miata that has the stock Bose POS system in it. I bought this car to drive daily because it gets 30mpg (suburban was killing me @ 16). I drive 90miles a day to/from work so I need music. Add to that the bose system ***** and has a blown passenger speaker.

Anyway - I'm looking for some decent 6.5" componets to go with the Clarion HU and Alpine amp i plan on putting in the car. My problem is the only thing in the way of an 'audio' shop i seem to have around me to listen to speakers is Best buy and Circuit city. No thanks.

My budget is around $300 - I listen to just about everything but country music but mainly rock, classic rock, some pop and classical.
    if u have d time go into the places you mentioned above and take a listen to the all the speakers for yourself, thats what i did and out of the 3 i had to choose from i chose some pioneers, mind you i was desperate, but i like them.
    don't forget the amp!

ENDER_XVICM is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Look around for Rainbows SLC 265s they can easily be had for under 300 bucks and sound great. Also the Pheonix Gold RSDs are great for 85 bucks. Which amp and HU are you looking at?

kross is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is $300 your total budget including the new HU and amp? Or is that just for speakers? Also, which Alpine amp in particular, so we know how much power you'll have?

Thou hath not so much brain as ear wax.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestions guys - Guess i should have given the info on the HU and Amp. I've ordered clarion DXZ585USB and I have a friend local that is selling me an older Alpine V12 4 channel amp. He's not online right now so I can't get the wattage from him. The $300 budget is just for the speakers.

I had looked at the Rainbows mentioned above, but still wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger.

edit: talked to my buddy and he said it is an Alpine MRV F250
    Last edited by section8; 05-10-2008 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MyPoison1 View Post

What's total budget for comps and amp? That Alpine is a little small.

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

Racerx250 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Try hertz hsk 165's. pm me for some info on em. Read reviews on them. They are golden.

Bought from - Shallowfu mattmcss bholtmeier apw122 cam5860 KINGDELL91 impalafan95 six501 skydeaner Amalan Datboiroy X5(met in person) dalucifer lrc131 tEh koRnDog civicsimomo JoeSmith502 matthewo Cguth hessdawg lilmaniac2(X2) lil_italy773 na_rsx tdeaton1021

Traded With - Beerdrnkr freezeman_7 cd6551 SoCalBean420

Sold to - vitveet memphisflex Blinkdogo2 kruler

There's more but I can't remember who.

Up Coming plans for my silverado
    9887(still need)
    6.5 ID OEM, Hertz HT30 tweets, Sundown 100.4
    Sundown 1500(still need), (1) 2005 12" RE XXX
    2.5cu. ft. @ 32(still need)
    2 yellow tops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hintzyboy View Post

What's total budget for comps and amp? That Alpine is a little small.
    he has $300 to spend on comps or coax, i know the wood's aren't the best but they won't let you down for that price.
    i guess your right for $300 you can pretty much get any speakers you want if you shop around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MyPoison1 View Post
    he has $300 to spend on comps or coax, i know the wood's aren't the best but they won't let you down for that price.
    i guess your right for $300 you can pretty much get any speakers you want if you shop around.
    There are much better speakers out there for the price of the Kenwoods. And I want to know what his TOTAL budget is for comps and amp. Because that Alpine he's looking at is only big enough to amp one pair of comps. If he wants to amp the rear fill, he needs a bigger amp that he won't have to bridge.

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

kross is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rear fill?! It's a Miata!

Thou hath not so much brain as ear wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kross View Post
    Rear fill?! It's a Miata!
    didn't even notice

Refs:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, i only need the comps for now - and i'm getting a friend deal on the Alpine. I figure if i decide i need a small sub in the future I'll upgrade the amp appropriately, or use the 2nd 2 channels of the alpine for the sub.

A friend of mine suggested OZ audio, but he told me he's been out of the car audio game for a while and wasn't sure if they are still good quality?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast