Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Comments and Questions about the Phoenix Gold Rsd 6.5s

95bat is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Comments and Questions about the Phoenix Gold Rsd 6.5s

I finally got my Rsds in the mail and installed this weekend, they're pretty nice All of you people who put 120+ watts on them are CRAZY! haha I am powering them with my JL 300.4 and they're pretty loud with just the 75 watts. I actually had to turn stuff down!

Question for the tuning experts, though. I found out upon installation of the Rsds that I am a fan of very, very mellow highs. The highs are too loud for me right now and on some songs it makes loud volumes unenjoyable. I read through a few previous posts where people tuned down the 500hz range, which I tried, and could not really hear any changes. Right now I am at -1 or -2 in the 2khz range which helped a bit, but is there anything else I can do? From what I read, the crossover only has a +2db setting for the tweeter, not a -2 I would sure like a -2 right now haha.

Other than the tweeters being way too much for me, I really enjoy them. They just aren't a "plug and play" speaker like my JLs or the Rainbows were.

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Comments and Questions about the Phoenix Gold Rsd 6.5s

I have a set I just got in and have yet to install them. Will let you know how I like them as well. I hope I am not dissappointed with all the great reviews around here.

I hope they are not as harsh as my MB Quart discus were and hopefully provide a better mid bass out of them. With that said, how is your mid bass on them? I seen others love it, but they have their doors deadened to hell and back, which I will do. I have the mat, it's just finding 3 plus hours to do each door. So just thinking of putting them in for now.

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mine have a less than ideal installation right now. My doors are an absolute nightmare to deaden, so I havn't attempted to deaden them yet. I removed the door panels, took one look at the door, and put the panels right back on. With my install lacking, the midbass is still decent. I'm sure it will improve when I make new baffles in a few weeks, but I have no plans on deadening the doors.

Also, I wouldn't describe the highs as "harsh." They just need to be adjusted for my taste

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

try cutting a lot in the 3-5k range as well, but mainly at around 3.

where are ur tweets mounted?

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

tweets are mounted next to the woofer in the door. They're pointing straight forward. I have them surface mounted right now until I can get to my dads and cut a hole to flush mount them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 95bat View Post
    tweets are mounted next to the woofer in the door. They're pointing straight forward. I have them surface mounted right now until I can get to my dads and cut a hole to flush mount them.
    ok so they aren't up high and in your face..... thats good.

i would try cutting in the 2.5k-5k range. the 7800 lets you eq at 2k, 3.15k, and 5k. try cutting 3.15k by a few notches and maybe 5k by a notch. it's not the tweeters that get "harsh" sounding in the RSD set. it's definitely the upper portion of what the mids seem to play.

i have my set running active with a ton of power which means i have A LOT of control over mine. it seems nobody knows where exactly they crossed the mids and tweets on the passives, but to me and to others it seems a tad high. the mids seem to get a little nasty playing high, or it could just be my ears. but i have my mids only playing up to 2k, and the tweets are taking care of everything from 2.5k and upwards.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you guys think ONE set alone is to loud? I was planning on doing a dual set upfront in my suv, so Id have 4 drivers and 4 tweets upfront, they would all be getting the 120rms from my amp to.

Do you think they will be just to loud? I can always just order the one set, but I REALLY like to hear my music, and the 2 new 15's I put in its probly going to take some volume to do so

1 set good enough or go for 2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    So you guys think ONE set alone is to loud? I was planning on doing a dual set upfront in my suv, so Id have 4 drivers and 4 tweets upfront, they would all be getting the 120rms from my amp to.

Do you think they will be just to loud? I can always just order the one set, but I REALLY like to hear my music, and the 2 new 15's I put in its probly going to take some volume to do so

have you ever used a high powered set of comps? i think you could take just about any 6.5" set give them enough power and they'll be loud. i say get one set, install them in a normal location and get a ton of power, but tune it properly.

and BTW.... is anything ever TOO loud.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    ok so they aren't up high and in your face..... thats good.

i would try cutting in the 2.5k-5k range. the 7800 lets you eq at 2k, 3.15k, and 5k. try cutting 3.15k by a few notches and maybe 5k by a notch. it's not the tweeters that get "harsh" sounding in the RSD set. it's definitely the upper portion of what the mids seem to play.

i have my set running active with a ton of power which means i have A LOT of control over mine. it seems nobody knows where exactly they crossed the mids and tweets on the passives, but to me and to others it seems a tad high. the mids seem to get a little nasty playing high, or it could just be my ears. but i have my mids only playing up to 2k, and the tweets are taking care of everything from 2.5k and upwards.
    That makes a lot of sense. It does sound like the mids are crossed too high. I've also noticed that things like vocals and upper guitar frequencies are quite loud compared to lower guitar frequencies. The best way I can describe it is that I don't hear the music in my music, I hear mainly singing and bass. I'd rather not run active with these, either, but it seems like that may be an excellent solution. If I have to go active I'd rather just put the old JLs back in

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post

You can always put in one set and if you want it louder install the other I think these seem so loud to me right now because the higher frequencies are much louder than the JLs.

maloy013 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just recently went active myself and at first the tweets were loud as hell then when i cross the settings similar to what tcguy has the tweets start to soften up...if u still find it harsh try eqing up a bit boost the mids a lil bit to try cover the tweets 80-100hz (midbass) see if that helps...btw running them w/my alpine 345s (75x4) and they are loud enuf for me too

hu:alpine iva w200 w/blackbird nav/ pxa h701
    front comps: id oems
    rear: what?
    substage:alpine type r 10s
    amp comp:alpine mrv f545
    amp sub:alpine mrp m650

REFS:PIMPILATION-bought HESSDAWG-bought

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well thank you everyone for the tuning advice. I have gotten the speakers closer to my liking. I can understand why people praise the midbass from this set, it really is impressive, even in my doors with no deadening. Sadly, I think I will be taking the speakers back out this weekend and putting them up for sale. I've decided to buy a new car this summer No point in perfecting the tune with these only to sell them in a couple months! I won't DARE touch the system in the new car lol I don't want any headaches!

bterz is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also recently bought a set of components and feel the same way, except luckily I have an adjustment on my tweeters for -3, 0, and +3.

After adjusting those I noticed a difference, but I think that my woofer is actually producing too high of "highs" where they actually hurt my ears sometimes.

I'm not sure, I think I need to deaden my doors and somehow figure out the adjustments for my new set of comps.

goodluck on the new ride, 95bat.

12" Alpine Type-R
    Custom sealed box
    Morel Tempo 6
    Cadence TXA-6004 amplifier
    Alpine 9857 headunit

Refrences: Team H&K, Exige, LYTTLEviet

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ty, I hope it will work out well I spent $55 filling up my tank for 11 miles per gallon today and decided I've had enough Stupid gas prices.

PaulD is offline self-imposed ban

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just curious how PG can sell a 6.5" component set for as little as $87 that appaently sound so good. I would like to hear a pair, anyone with a pair compete in MECA in the Southern KY, Tenn, AL, GA area ?

Closed Thread